Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple hours, got the rear shocks in, but now I can't figure how to get the front ones in. What do you have to take off in order for them too fit? I Know something, because even will the shock completly compressed, it still won't fit. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
If I remember correctly, you will have to take the lower or upper ball joint nuts off in order to compress the shock and insert it. Lower might be easier. Also you will have to insert a "spacer", read 2 washers, to get it to line up properly. In my case , I had to redrill the bottom attaching point of the shock at the wisbone out to match the bolt hole of the shock. It was a little. bigger. HTH, Jarrell

Attachments

·
1,973 Posts
wouldn't unbolting either balljoint cause the spring to unload?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jordan, you are correct, the spring will drop down severely if either ball-joint is removed. A real good reason to have a jack under the spring eye at the LCA. Good point.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Ron, Jordan, you both are correct. My fault for not picking up on that. :eek: I had my suspension out of the car and the compressor was holding the tension of the spring. I should have picked up on the fact the front end was still in the car. Sorry about that. Jarrell (embarrassed as all get out)

Also see this post by Opeldean. Picture is worth a 1000 words. http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=51566#post51566

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
That's not a problem Jarrell, just glad Jordan caught that before someone arbitrarily unbolted the UCA ball-joint and the whole mess came down tearing out the brake lines in the process. Another reason for members reading the entire thread on an operation before they start the process. It never hurts to catch someting like this early on though. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts