Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to some parts from a European Opeler. I've been toying with diving into fuel injection. He has, in his words, "stripped down a few Mantas and Kadett C's, which had a 2.0L CIH GTE engine with L and LE Jetronic systems". I know the LE is a newer system, but can someone comment on whether these would offer any good tunability over, say dual carbs on a GT?
Just probing around at this point, but I'd like to hear what others think. Which system came on the 75 mantas/asconas that we got here in the states?

Todd K.

· 'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Hi Todd,

I have a GT running on L-Jetronic injection from an Manta A-series GT/E and the benifits have to be, better fuel consumption, reliability, starting cold or hot, performance gains and the best of all the engine looks far better.

My only recommendation would be to get a system that runs 4 injectors rather than 5, 5 injectors usually found on later Manta GT/E's '84 onwards, as this injection plenum requires the owner to carry out some modification to the firewall / bulkhead.

If I can help any further let me know.

· Registered
2 Posts
Have mounted a LE Jettronic taken from an Opel Record (=simular to the Manta B/GTE models). Modification to the firewall is minimal. The only drawback is that you will have to remove a part of the "tube-that-holds-the-hood" (forgive me for not knowing the word, I'm Dutch).
Runs like a dream for over 10 years now)

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Re: L and LE Jetronic . . . hood latch bar mods

gtfreak said:
Have mounted a LE Jettronic taken from an Opel Record (=simular to the Manta B/GTE models). Modification to the firewall is minimal. The only drawback is that you will have to remove a part of the "tube-that-holds-the-hood" (forgive me for not knowing the word, I'm Dutch).
Runs like a dream for over 10 years now)
That would be the hood latch bar, which has to be cut and have a new bracket made for it, see pic

Attachments

· Manta Maniac
1,386 Posts
Just a quick word of caution....the 2 systems (L and LE) don't play well together...I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but I think the later injectors will burn out the early brain. :eek: ..someone care to confirm???

· Administrator
10,421 Posts
Rionart said:
Just a quick word of caution....the 2 systems (L and LE) don't play well together...I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but I think the later injectors will burn out the early brain. :eek: ..someone care to confirm???
Yup. The early system uses pre-resistors for the injectors while the later ones do not. A set of early injectors was put put into my Senator a few years back and the brain was promptly toasted.

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'm told not to cross injectors as well. My real question is which system offers the most tunability to a modified engine. I've read (and saw discussed here) various things about the 75 systems being very limited for engines modified with larger valves, or over-bored for larger displacement.

· Senior Contributor
901 Posts
neuropel said:
My real question is which system offers the most tunability to a modified engine.
They both offer the same tunability, or lack there of. Other than fiddling with the springs in the Air Flow meter(it's not a MAF BTW), adjusting fuel pressure, changing injectors or hacking on a half as*ed piggy back system, there isn't much you can do.

It's not worth the effort IMO, especially with systems like Megaquirt available for next to nothing. Megasquirt, while a simplistic system in comparison to other modern engine management systems, is light years ahead of the L or LE...

-Travis

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Megasquirt is exactly the path I'd like to take too Travis. I have some EE buddies ready to make one up if I buy the kit (actually anyone who can solder can fab one up). Has anyone ditched the jetronic controller and used the Megasquirt on these FI systems, or is such a hybrid feasible? From what I've been told, you have to go to the 2.4 type of system to interface with aftermarket injectors, etc. The next generation Megasquirt is being prototyped now and will incorporate ignition into the mix, so for a couple of hundred bucks one will soon be able to have a state of the art, laptop-programmable controller. That's now the simple part. It seems to me that the more difficult part of such a project is designing a FI system to use it with. The dual weber throttle bodies look beautiful, but they're also an arm and a leg! The 2.4 parts are here and there, but it doesn't fit under the hood of even a manta, much less a GT.
I'd really like to hear from someone who's done this. It seems like it would be light years ahead of even the dual carb setups, and a DIY setup wouldn't be far off in cost either!
Todd

· Premium Member
1,796 Posts
megasquirt

I did a fair amount of research into the Megasquirt option a year or so ago, and the only real reservation I have about it is the lack of responsible tech support. While there are a lot of people out there willing to help you out, none of them are willing to guarantee that what they suggest won't destroy your car. This makes me a bit squeemish, as installing the system on an Opel is already something rare enough, and the compounded oddities is going to make for a steep learning curve.

My prefered option is the SDS system, mostly because of their support services. There was a huge contingient of Mustang owners converting to SDS at one time, so there are a surprising # of dealers around familiar with the system. The price (@$800) seems pretty good too, and the system comes with it's own programmer, so no laptop needed.

· Opeler
36 Posts
L(E) Jetronic from OHC

Don't know if this is the right thread, but does anyone know if a FI from a 1,8 will fit the 1,9S :confused: . A friend told my that with an adapter plate from a Kadett City the engine would fit right into the GT, but I'm having doubts about it since the exhaust is on the driver side, and the disributor is in the back. The engine was pulled from a Kadett D (Astra).
Maybe I should just have the Weber 32/36 DGV rebuilt and not mess with FI???
Still got a few things to get done befor I can get plates on the car. Had it painted when i lived in Houston, got i started after I moved back to Norway (98) and had two kids since!!! Finaly started working on the car again :D

- Jakob

942 Posts
Hi to all,
In my opinion the LE is very good for fuel economy,
So it's the one I use on my fast road 2.4 CIH.
The L is maybe more simple to install if HP @ full load is the only goal,
So it's the one I use on my race 2.4 CIH.
But both are crap compared with good ol' DCOEs or SDS/Megasquirt/Sybelle race EFI!
Cheers,
Hiro.

· boomerang opeler
5,661 Posts
jakob if you get a 1.8 manta engine (same as kadett but adapted for rwd) its ok as theres a drive on the head to put the distributer back into the engine bay alongside the head

239 Posts
Can someone help???

Seems to be the right place to reply and get some clarification of the Fuel injection systems. I have a used system that came with one of my parts GT's and seems complete with wire harness and air box except it's missing the control box and electric fuel pump. I sent a picture to Gil at OGTS and he said it was the 2.0 system, he carries parts and might have the proper control box. Of course he reccomends I buy a complete system from him for $399.00 to be sure I have a matched system. :D

Question is is it part numbers on the injectors, runner, pin connector or where??? It's the 5 injector system and looks like what Otto shows.
Speaking of which Id like to know what air/ conditioner and alternator set up Otto has, as I have the big GM compressor and part of the brake support has been cut.

And last what is the 2.0 F/I out of so I can buy a maintenance manual for troubleshooting ect..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.