Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making Big progress on my 69' L wagon, this picture was taken a couple of days ago, I now have it fully in primer, the green line you see is a rough estimate of where the pinstripe is going to be, Now I'm going to pull the motor before painting. its going to be the same motor just really, really built, what do you guys think the max rpm I can get out of this is? money is no object, I can go crazy with how much I can spend on the motor, wheels are also on the way as well as new rubbers for the windows I already have.

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Making Big progress on my 69' L wagon, this picture was taken a couple of days ago, I now have it fully in primer, the green line you see is a rough estimate of where the pinstripe is going to be, Now I'm going to pull the motor before painting. its going to be the same motor just really, really built, what do you guys think the max rpm I can get out of this is? money is no object, I can go crazy with how much I can spend on the motor, wheels are also on the way as well as new rubbers for the windows I already have.

View attachment 426360
Looks like you are make headway with the body work and such, RPM's is not what make horsepower valve timing and compression make that. SO............do you want the car to make more power or more noise, that is the question. Cyl. head flow and valve sizing are a better investment than a 9000 RPM camshaft and valve springs, if you are going to drive the car on the street with the Opel drivetrain 140HP is about where you are limited without breaking gears, and a wild camshaft that will not idle below 2000RPM and the pistons sound like they are swapping holes is no fun in traffic and gets old quick.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you are make headway with the body work and such, RPM's is not what make horsepower valve timing and compression make that. SO............do you want the car to make more power or more noise, that is the question. Cyl. head flow and valve sizing are a better investment than a 9000 RPM camshaft and valve springs, if you are going to drive the car on the street with the Opel drivetrain 140HP is about where you are limited without breaking gears, and a wild camshaft that will not idle below 2000RPM and the pistons sound like they are swapping holes is no fun in traffic and gets old quick.
I plan to build this thing like crazy so it's going to be around 300-350 bhp I have a turbo ready for it, I'm going to fully build the motor, so I'm going for crazy rpm and horsepower

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
Looks nice Raymond :) look forward to watching your progress. Statements like "money is no object", you must not be married and/or have kids :p I have made those statements before and the wife reminds me money does have an object and its not the Opel 😂

·
Super Moderator
14,165 Posts
I plan to build this thing like crazy so it's going to be around 300-350 bhp I have a turbo ready for it, I'm going to fully build the motor, so I'm going for crazy rpm and horsepower
There’s zero reason for crazy rpm if you are going turbo. You can make those HP numbers and keep rpms modest (7000-7500), which means more torque, more reliability, and a lot less money.

Not to mention with crazy rpms comes the need for a close ratio gearbox to keep in the power band and preferably dog-engagement.

Synchros don’t like to engage at 10,000 rpms. There’s a reason motorcycles don’t use them.

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
With that much hp and torque you will need a whole new drive train that can handle it or it will be a waste of time and money.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,707 Posts
It's a really light car, I think they're about 2500lbs with the stock 350lb engine, so you don't need much HP to totally haul azz. You'll easily be able to spin tires at just 150hp, so 250hp+ will have you spinning tires even when you don't want to.

There's a really nice Wagon that someone shows up with at Carlisle with a V6 in it. I think it's at about 250hp. Another guy did a beautiful job installing an 8 with 350. His torque exeeds the weight of the car so much that when he put his car in drive at idle his tires just spun on the grass. We had to push him onto the roadway.

·
Super Moderator
14,165 Posts
It's a really light car, I think they're about 2500lbs with the stock 350lb engine, so you don't need much HP to totally haul azz.
Gordon, that’s a Kadett wagon. I had one previously, it was a 1.9 w/automatic. It weighed 1970 lbs!

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,515 Posts
Get a C20LET from Germany.

Dieter

·
Super Moderator
14,165 Posts
I guess we will see what happens with that much hp and rpm, for anyone wondering I have said many times I'm going to build the heck out of this car.
I don’t think you are getting the point. You don’t need or want high rpm with that little HP and a turbo. A 350 hp turbo would run out of efficiency well before those rpms were reached.

You could go with a GT2860RS turbo and 7000 rpms and make your power goals. Revving it higher would do nothing since the turbo would choke out. No flow= no more power. You would just be making noise.

Reactions: G.v.Mainberg

·
Registered
904 Posts
If money is no object, why not bore it out to 2 liters, use the pistons and rods from a C30SE and throw on a shortened C30SE 24V head ported and equipped with high lift and duration intake and exhaust cams ? Completed with a custom made FI system including intake and a header with a turbo. A five or six speed BMW ZF transmission with a rewelded Opel bolt pattern bellhousing and a beefier rear axle like a 1031 from a Volvo or why not a 9" Ford would be icing on the cake.
:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t think you are getting the point. You don’t need or want high rpm with that little HP and a turbo. A 350 hp turbo would run out of efficiency well before those rpms were reached.

You could go with a GT2860RS turbo and 7000 rpms and make your power goals. Revving it higher would do nothing since the turbo would choke out. No flow= no more power. You would just be making noise.
I have a 72mm turbo waiting to go in it, also the motor is getting fully rebuilt

·
Super Moderator
14,165 Posts
I have a 72mm turbo waiting to go in it, also the motor is getting fully rebuilt
That’s almost worse. You’re installing a 1000-hp capable turbo onto a 1.9 liter engine that revs, but you’re restricting it to 350 hp? It’s gonna have a day-and-half of lag.

I think you need to better match the parts to the intended final outcome.

I’m sure by now you think I’m busting your balls, but I’m really not. I’d just hate to see you spend all that time and money and not reach any of your goals at all. I don’t question your intent, but you will not get the desired results you want going at it this way.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
That’s almost worse. You’re installing a 1000-hp capable turbo onto a 1.9 liter engine that revs, but you’re restricting it to 350 hp? It’s gonna have a day-and-half of lag.
It's good your politely trying to guide this member's project in better direction. Cause your a stand up guy like that.

But I kinda hope he keeps going with his way of thinking as it may lead to a more entertaining thread!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's good your politely trying to guide this member's project in better direction. Cause your a stand up guy like that.

But I kinda hope he keeps going with his way of thinking as it may lead to a more entertaining thread!
I'm just enjoying this thread lmao, I'm going to build it how I want it and if it's too much then Il adjust it.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,515 Posts
Raymond: May I ask how old you are? I'm a very visual-oriented person, and always try to visualize other persons that I'm "talking" to (online, in this case). That's why I'm asking.

Dieter

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Get her done bud. X2 post pictures

Reactions: JudokaJohn
1 - 20 of 23 Posts