Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Opel Manta Luxus
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing what was left of the original vinyl-covered plywood strip on each door panel. I'm using sapele instead. I work with metal and body filler (and dust :rolleyes:) for a living, and woodworking really isn't my thing so this is a challenge. Not sure what to do about the instrument panel. Looks pretty good without the woodgrain.

Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Communication Device

Brown Table Wood Rectangle Flooring

Speedometer Gear shift Car Vehicle Wheel

·
Opeler
132 Posts
I love these pictures. I grew up in a 73 Manta Luxus with the same color combo.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Back when I had my 72 Manta (dark blue) the vinyl was peeling off. I peeled it all off and was surprised to find real wood underneath. I stained it and varnished it without ever pulling the door panels.

Yours looks nicer.

·
Opeler
132 Posts
Back when I had my 72 Manta (dark blue) the vinyl was peeling off. I peeled it all off and was surprised to find real wood underneath. I stained it and varnished it without ever pulling the door panels.

Yours looks nicer.
yep we did the same back in the 1980s. on our 73 luxus i think the wood looked unfinished so i was given the task to buy stain and clear and make them look good so they didn't bleach out after we removed the vinyl covering.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
493 Posts
You could try a Sapele Veneer for the instrument surround, but if the wood is not stabilized it may shrink and curl. On the other hand a Mahogany Vinyl/PVC film may match or Vinyl wrap looks good to you. But in all honesty the Black Plastic looks pretty good to my eye. And I like the radio too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This item is on my project list for my 74 Manta Luxus. Somebody peeled the doors already. The vinyl wood grain on the instrument panel is wrinkled and I have thought real wood would be an upgrade. Thanks for the ideas if I ever get to this project.

·
Registered
1974 Opel Manta Luxus
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[
You could try a Sapele Veneer for the instrument surround, but if the wood is not stabilized it may shrink and curl. On the other hand a Mahogany Vinyl/PVC film may match or Vinyl wrap looks good to you. But in all honesty the Black Plastic looks pretty good to my eye. And I like the radio too.
Thanks for the ideas, okieDan. Speaking of curling, I didn't immediately seal the first two 2x40x1/4" strips of sapele I had cut and after a couple days they were curled/warped pretty badly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts