Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple Question (I hope)

I have a '69 GT and the windshield wiper fluid keeps draining back into the driver's side floor area. It seems to me it'd be simple to put a small 'gate' valve in the line but upon going to both Advance Auto Parts and Bonezone, neither has anything resembling such, or even knows where to find one.

Do they not make gate or check valves that are usable in these types of lines to keep the fluid from backwashing into the car? Seems awful simple and almost silly that they wouldn't. For that matter, they didn't even have replacement filters for the lines.

I gotta admit, it's the first time i've ever had to mess with washer lines on a vehicle, but surely someone sells parts for em.

Thanks for any help on how I might fix this problem. Currently i'm not putting any washer solution in the car until I get it fixed.

Claud

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Claud, go to your local auto parts store and pick up a package of "Zerk" grease fittings that will fit your washer lines. They have a ball check valve in them that may stop your back flow and they have a fairly weak spring that won't take much to offset the ball from its' seat. After saying all that, it could be you have a leak in the foot pump on the forward wall of the footwell. If you have a leak in the foot pump, OGTS, I believe, has replacements. HTH.

Ron

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
I know McMaster-Carr sells plastic check valves with barbed ends (and other types). I'm not sure if they are designed for automotive use, but they might work.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Check Valve

Numerous cars do have check valves in the windscreen washer lines - but they have to be put in the right way round! Speaking from expeience here :eek:

Just visit a wrecking yards and look under a few hoods - it is an amazing passtime - lots of usefull things come from wrecking yards!

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
I had the same problem. The rubber bellows was rotted out. At the time Gil at OGTS said they don't sell the piece. If anyone knows where to get one, please let me know.

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well i found to convert to an electric washer pump was the easiest way to solve my windshiled washer problem its a quick simple mod and will last a life time.

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
I am pretty sure that another user here was able to use check valves intended for an Aquarium.

Might want to try a pet store. Be sure and bring a sample of your tubing to make sure it fits. I hate making two trips for the same thing.

·
1,973 Posts
I used aquarium check valves $3.05 a piece and they work great, then I tested it out and quickly rusty water poured out onto my new carpet ugh! The little fancy metal bolt/seal in the pump bellow is rusted through, would anyone have this piece or know of where I can buy something similar that would work?

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
jordan;

The same thing happened to me last year. Brand new carpets, Ugh!! Gil doen't stock these either. If you find a supplier, please let the group know. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who need one.

·
1,973 Posts
I ended up using a fender washer and a small bolt (dont remember the size) and a little flat rubber seal (looks like a little washer) where the bolt goes through the washer. it works great and hasn't leaked a drop.

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
The rubber piece on mine was rotted at the tube so this won't work for me. Thanks for the tip though

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
forgive me if ive read this wrong but as the washer fluid is draining back on clauds car
must it not be a leak in the system
to drain out onto the carpet it has to come from somewhere
this can only be a hole in a tube, a hole in the bulb of the pump or crack in the case of the pump
my bet would be a hole worn through where the tube runs in or out through the bulkhead/firewall if he needs to pump the pump(i know terrible grammer)
to get it to [email protected] first
we need to cure the problem,not treat the symptoms as my doc keeps telling me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts