Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Opeler
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past 10 years I went from sealed beam headlights to halogen, to HID. With the prices of LED bulbs going down, I now installed LED bulbs in a headlights. I like them as the installation does not require ballast box like HID lights. The bulbs are direct replacement for H4 bulbs but they draw much less power.
That completed conversion of all my bulbs to LED type.

Attachments

·
Pedal Smasher
2,006 Posts
Could you share the bulbs you purchased? And did you remove the ballasts then from the HID setup?

·
Opelitis afflicted
529 Posts
I changed the entire headlight unit to LED rather than just the bulbs for 2 reasons.
Original units reflective surface wasn't great and I also needed to change the units for driving on the Left side of the road. I used Landrover Defender units I found on Ebay.
The difference was like night and day even though I almost never drive it at night.

·
Opeler
846 Posts
Could you share the bulbs you purchased? And did you remove the ballasts then from the HID setup?
Yes, please share. I've been following LED headlights for quite a while but haven't pull the trigger yet. When I first started looking there was only one company that I found that made DOT approved LED headlights and now there are many. ALL my lights are LED at this point except the headlights.

·
Opeler
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I finally got all the lights on the GT replaced with LED lights. The headlights were bought on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU6T8XB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought some OGTS headlights that were halogen, they probably would have done the job. Amazon had a sale at the time I bought mine so the price is presently 26.38 for both bulbs. I took the halogen out with a quarter turn, unplugged them, put the LED lights in with a quarter turn and plugged them into the Opel socket. If you have sealed beams, you will need to buy the halogen type headlights and take the bulbs out. I believe you might find the Glass portion without the halogen bulbs on Ebay or Amazon, not sure. If you buy the LED lights they won't work with sealed beam headlights.

Bob

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thank you for posting the details to make the conversion guys that was extremely helpful. Does anyone know the actual current draw? 1600 watts =13.33 amps, that is close to what my sealed halogen lights draw with the brights on (I measured 10.3 amps while sizing up the 15 amp in line fuses I installed on the wiring) . If that’s accurate then it won’t free up any of the load amperage on the stock 30 amp alternator which I still have, those puppies must throw out some serious light on the other hand. :yup:

·
Opeler
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have no idea how Chinese measure energy draw but 1600 watts is b.s. The ampermeter needle hardly moves with LED headlights on.

·
Über Genius
8,828 Posts
Watts relate directly to heat. You can cook a thin cake in an Easy-Bake-Oven, for instance, using a 75 watt bulb.

1600 watts is enough to heat a 15X15 room.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
3,947 Posts
Voltage x Current = Power
Volt x Ampere = Watt

A regular headlight has 55 Watt --> 12 V x 4.58 A = 55 W (you need to take this times 2, to get both headlights).

LED bulbst draw some smaller current and get less hot, but they are not "cold" light either. The LED lights from P.J.'s link say 160 W in the picture, 180 W in the subject line, and 240 W in the item description. Ebay is full with BS and 99% of all sellers with more than 2,000 items sold do not have a clue about what they are actually selling. Do not expect any correct technical description or technical knowledge from them, you have to bring your own expertise and weed through the advertising garbage.

Dieter

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
1600? they are 160 watts and 1600 lumens and I highly doubt that as well.

pretty cheap bulbs. heat is the killer on led. I can highly recommend Opt 7 fluxbeam x they are of superb quality. much brighter too.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Watts relate directly to heat. You can cook a thin cake in an Easy-Bake-Oven, for instance, using a 75 watt bulb.

1600 watts is enough to heat a 15X15 room.
Yeah, :stupid: I meant 160 @ 80 a piece = 13.3 amps you’d be right about 1600 that would light up the amp guage like a Christmas tree. As Dieter states about the variation in the descriptions that’s why I’m curious about actual. Not so easy to measure though once the harnessing is sealed I suppose. I got the 80 watts from the Amazon link, they’re a little more consistent than some of the Evilbay stuff.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello everyone I know this thread is a little old but I was inspired after watching the video and have been in contact with H.R via email about putting a conversion package together for our headlight dilemmas. My first conversion with them, there response was there are no opels in the US for them to test, as I giggled inside I explained that there are lots of them in the US and if they could put something together the opel community would show up in droves. I also offered mine as the test subject to get to the perfect led for our opels. we'll see haven't heard back yet and sent email to them Monday I believe

·
Pedal Smasher
2,006 Posts
There are a lot of 7” round LED conversion kits out there. Something made for a motorcycle would probably work best with the headlight bucket.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
convert to a 7" round option, whether it be incandescent or hid or maybe find one equipped with led already.

then just by led lights with appropriate socket to fit new headlight.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ok Guys and Gals I heard back from HR here is there response
Charlie K (Headlight Revolution)

Oct 22, 17:40 EDT

Hey Terry,

You're very welcome! I wish we had more of them around here in GA, that's such a timeless styling on the car. We carry the VisionX 7" housings to help keep that period correct here:
https://headlightrevolution.com/vision-x-7-round-headlight-housing-replacement-h6017-h6024/

Like you said pairing that with an LED can really help lower the draw on the system but at the same time getting better output. I would run those with the SV.4's here:
https://headlightrevolution.com/v-4-led-headlights-h4-9003-bulbs/

That pairing does really well together and looks nice and clear on the classic body cars. Here's an article covering a setup like that too to help see some end results. They did the testing with the 5x7 but the 7" is almost identical results:
https://betterautomotivelighting.com/2019/02/11/which-led-bulb-is-brightest-in-vision-x-5x7-headlights/

Have a great one and thanks again!

Charlie

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
Ok Guys and Gals I heard back from HR here is there response
Charlie K (Headlight Revolution)

Oct 22, 17:40 EDT

Hey Terry,

You're very welcome! I wish we had more of them around here in GA, that's such a timeless styling on the car. We carry the VisionX 7" housings to help keep that period correct here:
https://headlightrevolution.com/vision-x-7-round-headlight-housing-replacement-h6017-h6024/

Like you said pairing that with an LED can really help lower the draw on the system but at the same time getting better output. I would run those with the SV.4's here:
https://headlightrevolution.com/v-4-led-headlights-h4-9003-bulbs/

That pairing does really well together and looks nice and clear on the classic body cars. Here's an article covering a setup like that too to help see some end results. They did the testing with the 5x7 but the 7" is almost identical results:
https://betterautomotivelighting.com/2019/02/11/which-led-bulb-is-brightest-in-vision-x-5x7-headlights/

Have a great one and thanks again!

Charlie
and now you go to ebay and get a similar setup for a fraction of their price. i recommend opt 7 brand led's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts