Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the modification I did to the rear markers to convert them to LED markers. The Destec units are red and wired to the LO setting. The screws are 4-40 plastic ordered from Mcmaster Carr. The brackets are 5/8" wide strapping material used for hanging duct work, I just bent them in a vice. The terminal block is cut from a longer piece that I got at radio shack. The male push on terminals are crimp ons that I tore the insulator off of, they have to be the red ones 22-24 wire ga., in order for them to fit into the terminal block holes. The wires pass through the entire block and were soldered into the crimp ons and then the crimp on was pushed into the terminal block and the screw tightened to fasten it in. There is a star lock washer between the terminal block and the bracket to keep the block from spinning. There is also a lock washer under the nut that retains the terminal block to make sure it does not vibrate loose. The steel nuts and plastic screws will be sealed with a silicone rubber based glue to lock them in place as well. There are plastic washers between the bracket and the circuit board to avoid shorting. It is important to keep the lights at the distance I show them from the lense in order for the lense to be able to spread the light out, other wise the light will look more like a strip rather than fully lit. Markers were new from OGTS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
flash?

Any reason you didn't wire the marker lights to flash with the turn signals? I can't think of any legality issues, ans since you have the option already, it might be a cool effece. Anything to keep the SUVs from running you over, I say.

·
Senior Contributor
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not a bad idea, all I have to do is wire up the HI brightness connection to the blinker wire and there you go, the only bummer is that I would have to remake the terminal blocks with 3 connections-----back to radio shack:eek:-------Liked it sooo much that I went down to the shop and did one, still need more parts to finish the second one tho.

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the last post, I did not realize that by editing it, it would not be considered new, and therefore not get posted at the top of the list. I added the third terminal for the blinker as suggested.

·
273 Posts
Jeff,,

I have your (4) Yellow Hi / Lo units built and boxed.

Includes 6" pigtails on all the units, as you requested.

The rears look great; NOW to do MINE.

JJ

·
Senior Contributor
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JJ,
The check went in todays mail.

·
Senior Contributor
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am up to the point of test fitting the rear markers into the body. Here is the question. Is the marker supposed to fit flush with the body or stick out a little, and the gasket show. Both the original Hella and OGTS ones fit the same, they stick out from the body about 1/16". I really don't like the look and I am seriously considering telling the body shop to modify the holes in the body so that they will sit flush, and the gasket will disappear.

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
I am up to the point of test fitting the rear markers into the body. Here is the question. Is the marker supposed to fit flush with the body or stick out a little, and the gasket show. Both the original Hella and OGTS ones fit the same, they stick out from the body about 1/16". I really don't like the look and I am seriously considering telling the body shop to modify the holes in the body so that they will sit flush, and the gasket will disappear.
Jeff:

We just installed our rear marker lights on the street rod this weekend. We ran into the same problem. We are not fond of the fit either, but I think it is correct. We are hoping it seats in as the gasket ages a bit.

Vickie

·
Registered
638 Posts
Way cool modification to the running lights. Keeps the amp drew down on alt and gives a nice bright look. Any issues with keeping the moisture out under a high preassure wash situation?

·
Opeler
3,100 Posts
GT Side, Rear Marker Lamp Stick Out

On all three of my GTs', the OEM rear, side Marker lamps stuck out approx. 1/16" as indicated. After several decades, a corner piece of marker lamp would break off and look worst.

Not sure if a non-stick gasket material would allow lamps to fit more flush, but not look like a kluge. Couple owners have potted (older) lamps in-place with RTV, but I would not like digging them someday for maintenance.

·
2,054 Posts
I've just installed all the lights back on my car this week. Every one of them fit perfect without the gaskets. I'm considering using a thin bead of clear RTV, let it dry, then install the lights.

On a side note, my covers for the headlights have sufficient clearance without the gaskets, but strike the body when they flip with gaskets installed. So, to save the new paint I removed the gaskets.

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Jeff, when I replaced mine, I ran into the same problem. I like the way yours are wired. If J.J. makes another run of the rears, and sides, I'm going to get a set. If I remember correctly there was a wink before blink option. There is another thread that shows a simple mod for the fronts that changes the running lights into turn signals as well. I just can't find the mod yet. Jarrell

·
392 Posts
Jarrell.

All I did was drill out the rivets that held the lamp socket on the side markers and installed a new socket that holds an 1157 bulb. Then it was just a simple matter of doing the wiring to hook it into the front turn signal circuit. Don't have any pictures but I do remember some on this site.

Good luck. Mike

·
Senior Contributor
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
That's it. Thanks Jeff. I read so much I can't remember where to start looking for things. Jarrell

1 - 16 of 16 Posts