Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Driver
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting thing happened. I had to drop my dash to fix a instrument panel short I had and figured I would do the double flash fix that JJ recommended since the LED lights brought this on. Prior to them it worked great. After the LED's it would blink once then go double.
Well I clipped the Black/Yellow wire, routed it to the ground block on the back of the speedo, turned the key, yep single blink left and right. Then I put everything back together.
Started it up and checked my blinkers. Turned on the left blinker, the car blinks left like it should, the dash blinks right! And the right side blinks left! What the Hell??
So I dropped the dash enough that I could just switch the two lights in the dash, now it works fine.
Anyone else experience this? Everything else worked fine before and this is the only time I have messed with them.

·
273 Posts
That is NORMAL for reasons too complicated to explain. But I called out that porblem in my eTip drawing which I am giving away via postal mail so I can include some other advertisments.

I should have included a copy of the eTip Flasher drawing with each LED Tail Light set. Also, on my poster, note 2, says to swap dash indicataor bulbs (sockets and all) There is a copy of note 2 up here somewhere.

For those wishing to see something interesting: go to the Opel GT Manual and look at the wire colors for the dash Indicator Lights. Here is what you will see:

On the car lights the Right turn signal wires are Black/green and the left circuit is Black/White.

These colors ARE REVERSED at the dash board indicator lights--it has to do with that old soup can Tungsol flasher (4-pin) Opel used. (and a sneak circuit where where the "burnt out bulb" function was supposed to be helpful; but IT causes the double green flashing dash lights)

When it comes to the Turn Signal Circuit on the Opel GT my Flasher eTip Drawing is better in defining orredefining the
the problems and the fixes.

FREE Copy: requires postal mailing address !

JJ

·
Driver
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JJ, I guess I didn't see that part on the paperwork you gave me with the LED's. Oops.
Oh, well, a day playing with the Opel is better than a day working.:D
And I must say I am becoming a pro at removing my dash.:(

·
273 Posts
George,

You don't have to pull your dash board (unless you have a 1969 GT). To do the best mod you do; but not to swap the L and R bulbs and sockets.

You can push up on the 5-light indicator panel and pull it out.

BUT the doggone wires are so short that you may inadvertantly dislodge one of the other (3).

I added 6" extensions to all those wires a way back so I can pull this gizmo way out of the dash to more easlily work on it.

Hope you haven't pulled the dash (again) and this heads up was in time.

JJ

·
Driver
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thing on the JJ LED tail lights. To be honest, I don't know if it did this since the beginning, but a friend was following me and told me about it so now it is bothering me.
Sitting at a stop light, foot on the brake, blinker on (either L or R), the brake lights dim in a pulse, as the blinkers flash. I call it a flicker. Anyone else using the LED lights have this problem?

I got out my meter and here is my results (all with engine running):
Head Lights=HL
Blinker=Bl
Brake light=Br
Haz=Hazard

Br only- 13.22v at the br light
Bl on, brake on- 12.69-13.14v at the br light (flicker)
HL on, bl on, br on- 12.22-12.65v at the br light (flicker)
HL on, bl on (no brake)- 12.74-12.81v on the tail lights (no flicker)
HL on- 12.83v on tail lights
Haz on, br on- 13.04-13.19v at the br (NO flicker)
HL on, haz on, br on- 12.59-12.70v at the br (NO flicker)

I measured at the fuse box also and the results were the same with .02v higher.

I checked the grounds at the tail lights and at the fuse box and at the flasher relay, all good grounds.

Since it does it on the blinker and not the hazard it makes me think it is the blinker relay maybe? It's not a current draw issue, because the hazards draw more than the separate blinker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.