Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hah after 9 months of engine building and 14 months of manta rebuilding I got my Legere 1.9 to 2.4 engine to fire today!! I don't think there is a mistake that can be made that I didn't make and I put everything on backwards twice and everything had to be taken on and off the car at least 4 times... usually starting with the deepest buried part first!

But what the hey it runs!!!It has terrible manners and will not be a car to drive in traffic but it starts and runs !!

I am considering a 2.4 starter and a bigger battery right off the bat. Well the battery for sure. I guess something other than the stock alt. wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Still have lots of bugs to work out (like getting it to idle under 1500rpm or for that matter just idle)

Not quite sure about the advance (we think its about 30degree advanced right now at 4000.....Maybe) the vacuum is a big question too and I think we have the curve of the distributor. right...maybe.... It’s for sure way under carbed (lean) at the moment I don't think the jets or the air flow on the little 32/36 Weber are quite up to the task.

Still need to work out the cable and the pulley wheel bracket on the dual webers plus I need the gaskets for the intake manifold which where not included in the gasket set and then the DCOE's will replace the 32/36...

Need to make some sort of heat shield for the motor mount as the header get really hot...

Lots of work still to go but the engine came through the break-in in good order.

bound to have a million questions soon.

A few tips...It is not recommended to try and start a new engine with an new, untried ignition system and coil match up. In my case the crane xr700 and the Jacobs ultra seem to be working. However that after many, many tries (like 2 days worth). It took a couple of other coils and distributors plus a slew of gaskets for the fuel pump...and don't put the belly pan back on till dead last after you break the car in it not being there makes getting to the underside a LOT easier. Also there is something to cleaning your old nasty bolts before you use them makes life so much easier.

Check that you have a working coil wire by shooting the spark at the car and not putting the timing light on the faulty wire and saying the coil is dead cause the light didn't light. (Saved ya 2 days right there.). It doesn’t run with the distributor in backwards. Putting the pilot bearing in before you put the trans back on and the engine in is highly recommended. The distributor goes in better if you remember to put the final drive gear (distrib drive) back in there in front of the pulley on the end of the crank.. Also freeze plugs that you knock way down into the engine are really, really hard to get back out.

Happy in STL
calvin

·
Riding Low
65 Posts
got it goin

sounds like we may see it running around this summer?

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Calvin,
I don't think 30 degrees advance is enough. I think a stock 1.9 runs at 37 or 38 total advance.

By the way. The wheels I got from you cleaned up nice. They will pass for new. Next time you are in my part of the world stop by. IOU lunch and beer.:D

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glad that the wheels clean up ok. I got the linkage figured out now battling fitting the pulleyfor the cable and the poor fii of the cannon intakes and squeezing a wrench round the welds on the cannon and the header while holding a half lock washer.

waiting for base plate gaskets, adding new u-joints, al new cables omni bat, and job hunting

C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts