Opel GT Forum banner

561 - 580 of 626 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #562
They started the exterior staining. Two sides done.

Garage doors are ordered.

Interior is progressing nicely. Insulation, drywall, tape and 2nd coat of mud are applied to most areas.

Still gonna be SOOOOO much to do by me before it’s a workable space. But it’s progress.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
That shop is really looking nice. Winter is fast approaching, you are cutting it close :yup:

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #566
I have never lived in a cold climate, so this is a stretch for me: I recommend insulated garage doors.
I ordered the premium insulated doors, no windows. Went for the highest R-value.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Looking great! Then the cabinets & storage, lift, air compressor and other equipment, etc, TV, refrigerator, etc, etc :)

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
Slow, slow progress on the new shop. The weather turned cold during the drywall phase. Enough so that after primer (and three coats of drywall compound under the primer), there was some freezing and cracking. Temps went from 60 degrees down to the teens at night. Those issues have been fixed and the walls have a coat of paint on them now too.

Last week a 500 gallon propane tank was installed (still no heater though!).

I got back home today to find my garage doors delivered and installed. And with the paint done the electricians came back and installed the overhead LED lighting. Still no power however!

Peeking inside, there were two pairs of doors on a pallet. One pair for the egress into my basement wood shop, and the other pair for my clean room.

Nothing earth shattering (painfully slow in fact!), but progress nonetheless.

Can’t believe it’s been 11 months since they broke ground. So much for 3-4 months!

Attachments

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
I have been wondering how the shop has been going. Good to hear from you and see at least it’s getting closer to being finished. You do live in a winter area. The shop is looking incredibly awesome by the way. Hope you get heat soon, that will certainly make a big difference inside.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Slow, slow progress on the new shop. The weather turned cold during the drywall phase. Enough so that after primer (and three coats of drywall compound under the primer), there was some freezing and cracking. Temps went from 60 degrees down to the teens at night. Those issues have been fixed and the walls have a coat of paint on them now too.

Last week a 500 gallon propane tank was installed (still no heater though!).

I got back home today to find my garage doors delivered and installed. And with the paint done the electricians came back and installed the overhead LED lighting. Still no power however!

Peeking inside, there were two pairs of doors on a pallet. One pair for the egress into my basement wood shop, and the other pair for my clean room.

Nothing earth shattering (painfully slow in fact!), but progress nonetheless.

Can’t believe it’s been 11 months since they broke ground. So much for 3-4 months!
Bob, I know slow and sure wins the race, but they seem to be moving like a Herd of Turtles. It looks good tho. The end result should be awesome. I can't believe you had snow, but it is that time of the year. Thanks for the help with "The Car''. I did get it, just got to get it home. Take care, Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #571
Well, I have garage doors. I have door locks. I have electricity and working lights. The propane tank is full, but the final connections have yet to be made, so no heat yet. That is scheduled for Tuesday.

Getting very close!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #572
Because of the progress, I have stepped up my storage and workbench fabrications, and my decor.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
831 Posts
Looking very nice Bob. Can’t wait for you to get up and running 100%.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Bob, I'm really happy your awesome new shop is nearly completed!!!!

·
Senior Contributor
4,894 Posts
Cool Bob! We are almost on the same path to completion on our house addition. They are supposed to be here today to do the sealer on the travertine stone pavers in the lanai and around the pool but so far they are a no show. I moved into my new master bedroom 4 days ago. We should be 100% done in about 2 weeks. That is some shop you built. I only wish we were not 1500 miles from each other.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Dang Mr. Bob now that's a shop very nice
I will tell you as a former builder res and comm nothing stays on sch.
It always seems to be something staff issues, weather, back orders, screw ups, redos, change of plans, material shortages, unintentional damage ect ect.
What you have there is very nice and would rather it take longer and be right the first time than rushed just to repair, rebuild mulltipal times
Keep on foot in front of the other Mr. Bob your doing great and it looks fantastic:haha:
By the way is that architectural log cabin style siding or real log cabin material

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #578

·
Super Moderator
13,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
Dang Mr. Bob now that's a shop very nice
I will tell you as a former builder res and comm nothing stays on sch.
It always seems to be something staff issues, weather, back orders, screw ups, redos, change of plans, material shortages, unintentional damage ect ect.
What you have there is very nice and would rather it take longer and be right the first time than rushed just to repair, rebuild mulltipal times
Keep on foot in front of the other Mr. Bob your doing great and it looks fantastic:haha:
By the way is that architectural log cabin style siding or real log cabin material
I’m happy with the work quality, just not the timeframe. Price has stayed constant.

The siding is applied ‘1/4 round’ or whatever you call it. Matches our home. The walls are 2 x 6 construction, sheathed exterior with vapor barrier then the applied siding. Inside is insulated and then dry-walled.

·
Opel Addicts
2,454 Posts
Your new shop looks great! I wish I could have started my new shop without having to move everything in before it was all organized. Now I have to move things around to get a 4 post "Backyard Buddy" in that I bought from my neighbor. I'm not complaining, just have ot wait for the ground to freeze hard again.

Are you using tube heat in the ceiling? It seems to work really great if you are keeping it warm all the time.

Keep the pictures coming!

Allen and Vickie Gage :cool:

561 - 580 of 626 Posts