Opel GT Forum banner

721 - 740 of 751 Posts

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
Wow Bob you must be feeling great to be able to start work in your new shop. Been a long time coming. I love to look at new rebuilt engines especially when they are built the way you build them.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I have to agree, very meticulous, just like a watchmaker but on a large scale. Someday Bobs stuff will be the Smithsonian wonders of the world. Eye candy for sure!

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #723
I forgot to update here, though ‘ve been updating on Facebook.

I built six 8’ long wheel storage racks for the wall of my new shop. Better to put them where they don’t clutter up floor space. I did the same thing in my old barn.

Of course learned from my prior experiences, and streamlined them a bit. I also hung an LED light fixture from one of the racks that was above a work bench, and then atttached two more LED lights to the face of the same rack. They are angled at 30 degrees so they will light up the side of any vehicle I have in that particular space. Would’ve come in very handy last week when I detailed my truck!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
That is a nice shop Bob. You remind me of my father. he was very particular and innovative . Everything in its place and a place for everything. Really makes it a joy to work in a place like that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Do you carry the tires up the ladder or do you have some other aid getting them up there? Maybe it's an age thing but I'm having enough stacking them on the floor. 😅

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
Do you carry the tires up the ladder or do you have some other aid getting them up there? Maybe it's an age thing but I'm having enough stacking them on the floor. 😅
Thats just for rims, not tires. And yes, I carry them up a ladder!

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
Sure looking good Bob. What a cool way to store wheels. Love the lights, makes work much easier. Yes you do have a well organized shop and that makes work easier as well. Keep posting, I like the show :)

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #728
Also built, painted, and mounted this shelving. Just too tired to take a pic of it yesterday. It will store most of my shop chemicals...brake cleaner, adhesives, sealers, Rain-X, spray paints, brake fluid, grease, nitrile gloves, ear plugs, paper towels, etc.

I’m building another shelving unit today just for oils, filters, and antifreeze. I like to stock cases and gallons for convenience.

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
Very nice and organized :) Did you make that Opel clock or get it somewhere? I like it :):)

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #730
Very nice and organized :) Did you make that Opel clock or get it somewhere? I like it :):)
Thanks. I’m TRYING to be organized, since this (should be) the last shop I ever have. I want it done right.

The clock is from C & R Small Cars, back in the 1980’s. The last one I had from the Carl and Smitty days.

You know it’s old, because I just put a battery in it and was very surprised to see ‘Made in USA’ on the clockwork mechanism!

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #732
Yea, I know it’s from horror freight, but I wanted a box to store my auto detailing supplies and keep the dust out of the microfiber cloths.

Still, with the discount code it was only $149 and it was the right color for my shop!

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #733
I didn’t like storing the detailing liquids in the bottom of the new cart. So I built another little shelf above the cart.

I also made a built-in cabinet of sorts to hold cases of engine oil, gear oil, and antifreeze. I’ll hang my various oil filter wrench’s off the end panel, and will use the top for storage of drain pans.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Do you have plans to run air lines around to each area or maybe there is no need for them now ? Also ,can never have enough outlets

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #735
Do you have plans to run air lines around to each area or maybe there is no need for them now ? Also ,can never have enough outlets
I’ll probably only have air in two spots on this side of the divider wall. It’s my clean area and I won’t be using many air tools. I figure a hose reel should do it.

The fabrication side will have a bunch of outlets though.

I think I have 22 quad electrical outlets on the walls of the shop. And two in the ceiling above each future lift locations.

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #736
Long day, drove 380 miles today. From NH to CT, then mounted and balanced my new truck tires at a friend’s shop , picked up some of my tools at my friend’s shop, then went back to NH.

I brought back my round welding table, my bead blaster, my flowbench, my anvil, my shot bag/vise stand, my tubing beader, my shrinker and stretcher, and my welding gear.

Washed up my alloy wheels and bolted up my new tires to the truck, and unloaded my truck and trailer. Basically on the road from 7:00 AM until 10:15 PM today.

I think I found all my drain pans too, lol

Grabbed a few
rims to test fit them in my wheel storage racks.

·
Super Moderator
13,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #738
I like the round welding, I guess, table on wheels!

Of course, I'd have it in my bedroom for when the ladies c'mon by.

:)
That round table was purchased at the old Pratt & Whitney outlet store that used to be in East Hartford CT. My friend Tim bought it for $65, and many years later he realized he didn’t use it much and gave it to me.

I found the manufacturer’s part number on it, and it was a $1200 table new! It is crazy heavy-duty, all 3/8” plate and tubing on the base, and the top is like 5/8” thick and blanchard-ground. The top swivels 360 degrees, and the center support shaft is fine-threaded, so you can raise and lower the height very precisely.

I found out it was a jet turbine inspection table. I added the casters and cleaned up the top, as it had rusted a bit during storage. Works great for servicing transmissions and stuff. Also good for under-the-lift small fabrication work.

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
Bob I'm wondering if your new shop is ever going to be finished completely :p you just seem to keep adding to it. Are you getting to work on cars yet or still putting it all together? Don't get me wrong, I'm loving what your doing, but cant wait to see the work your going to do on cars :)

721 - 740 of 751 Posts