Opel GT Forum banner

741 - 751 of 751 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #741
Bob I'm wondering if your new shop is ever going to be finished completely :p you just seem to keep adding to it. Are you getting to work on cars yet or still putting it all together? Don't get me wrong, I'm loving what your doing, but cant wait to see the work your going to do on cars :)
It’s going to be a while until I’m building cars again. I’ve used it to repair my stepson’s crashed car, and for maintenance work on my truck, but that’s it so far.

Hopefully it will be fully moved into and fully set up before the end of the year. But money is tight so things have slowed up.

·
RunOpel
1,204 Posts
I'm sure many can understand the money situation given the current economy. Hopefully by the end of the year you will be back in the saddle :) The shop is looking good though.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #743
Another trip, another load of stuff.
Wheel storage racks are going to work out great.

·
RunOpel
1,204 Posts
Very nice Bob, love those rims. I assume you have the equipment for tire mounting ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
Forgot photo
I really enjoyed restoring these old vises. Not as much for aesthetics, but for function. They work better than new thanks to polished internal guides and modern lubricants.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #748
Very nice Bob, love those rims. I assume you have the equipment for tire mounting ;)
I have a manual tire changer. I think I got it in 1987 from Roger Krause Racing. Just a bead breaker, tire iron, and bead remover plus a bubble balancer. I remember I paid $555, ordering it from an old ad in Autoweek. I figured I needed to mount and balance 47 tires to break even. That was about 800 tires ago!

Heck, even just during the past year, I dismounted over 100 old junk tires from rims for disposal ($3 per tire versus $12 per tire/rim disposal costs).

It may require a bit of a physical workout, but ironically it allows me to mount tires that some machines cannot. Rally tires are notoriously difficult due to the stiff sidewalls.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #749
Earth movers FINALLY came back and finished the ground work. It’s now looking like I envisioned it. They are seeding the perimeter as I type this.

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
I really enjoyed restoring these old vises. Not as much for aesthetics, but for function. They work better than new thanks to polished internal guides and modern lubricants.
I recently did the same thing to the fan that my father bought for my mother when she was pregnant with my older sister in 1948 while in their hot apartment in NYC.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
1,204 Posts
Wow Bob that is one super nice looking shop :) What type of surface is your driveway? It looks like a hard pack of some type.

741 - 751 of 751 Posts