Opel GT Forum banner

781 - 792 of 792 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #781
I didn’t, a wheel shop did. But I cut the centers out and shipped them to the shop that did the work. I’ve been doing this since 1986 or so.

·
Vendor
2,567 Posts
Bob,
Your shop is full of cool and mysterious stuff.
I am assuming the blue thing on the bench is a giant whoopee cushion, but what is the thing with the steering wheel?
It looks like it came off of an old carnival ride. :unsure:
5E9E1EDF-1FD4-4E1B-85C8-186FE311C937.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #783
Bob,
Your shop is full of cool and mysterious stuff.
I am assuming the blue thing on the bench is a giant whoopee cushion, but what is the thing with the steering wheel?
It looks like it came off of an old carnival ride. :unsure:
View attachment 427963
That’s my bead roller. I’ve done a lot of mods to it. I stiffened the frame, changed the spacing to allow Mittler Brothers dies, and added the steering wheel. Much easier than the original crank handle.

Reactions: dpre and davegt27

·
Certified Opelholic
1,460 Posts
I bought one of those HF bead rollers and its almost impossible to turn the big crank and feed in metal at the same time

·
Vendor
2,567 Posts
Much less mysterious from that angle. The steering wheel is a nice idea. More ergonomic, and good practice for track day. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #786
I bought one of those HF bead rollers and its almost impossible to turn the big crank and feed in metal at the same time
This is a Williams Lowbuck Tools bead roller with 18” throat. Yea, nearly impossible to use the crank in some instances!

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #787
I am assuming the blue thing on the bench is a giant whoopee cushion,
Missed this before. That is a suede ‘shot bag’ for hammering and shaping sheet metal. It’s filled with sand, and weighs about 40 lbs.

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
Much less mysterious from that angle. The steering wheel is a nice idea. More ergonomic, and good practice for track day. :D
After seeing Bob's bead roller, I added a steering wheel to my HF bead roller. $3.00 wheel and an $8.00 quick disconnect from a swap meet! Huge difference. I also stiffened the frame. Mine is not used that often so it is stored under a bench. The steering wheel is easily removed.

I do have the parts to motorize it, but that is a very low priority.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,460 Posts
I hear you about the low priority
only Bob's pics got me to thinking about it
what motor do you have ?
I was just thinking I have an old printer and it has a stepper motor in it
it probably does not have enough torque

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #791
More sanding and painting went on today. I stripped down the old painted finish on my anvil I applied maybe 25 years ago. It exposed the logos pretty clearly, and some markings I’ve never noticed before.

Pretty cool, as I learned that this was indeed made in 1897, and Fisher was known to have a unique process where they cast-in-place the tool steel top hammering surface, which is much harder than the remaining cast iron portion of the anvil. It’s also marked as 130 lbs, though I measured it at 128.5...close enough.

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #792
I also disassembled, cleaned the mildew off, and started painting my old rolling bench which I used for electrical work, small tube bending, and other more delicate work.

It has a nice overhead light, tons of bins with fasteners and connectors, a place for hand tools to hang, an electrical outlet with a pigtail extendable cord, and a pivoting magnetic stand for my heat gun (for heat shrink work).

There’s more storage space in the cabinet below for plastic wire loom and Adel clamps, etc. The drawers below have all my small tube benders and flaring tools, both 37 degree and 45 degree.

The counter is made from Corian, and I have another granite piece I use for soldering and other heat-sensitive projects

Reactions: davegt27
781 - 792 of 792 Posts