Opel GT Forum banner

821 - 840 of 855 Posts

·
Opeler
429 Posts
Well, some of those heads are kind of rare. Some are just unusual in the US. The rest are just regular 1.9 heads.

I’ve got two new Swedenheads, one new Kadett GTE 1000 head, about 6 or 7 of the raised port 2.2/2.4 heads, three 1.5 heads, one 1.6 head, and two 1.7 heads. I also have my own personal stash of 4-bearing/10 bolt heads (late-1970, all 1971, early-1972 vintage) which is my preferred go-to performance head core. Sure, the 2.2 and 2.4 heads can be made to flow more, but they really only surpass a well ported 1.9 head at high valve lift....higher than any off the shelf cams in the US. The 1.9 heads are a better choice for street use and many forms of racing when cams with .500” lift or less are used.

The other ‘normal’ 1.9 heads are all heads I will eventually prep to sell. I’ve saved them because it’s not like you can just go to any old junkyard these days and buy cores. With Bill Daley’s shop closed up (and him passing away), there’s really nobody left in the northeast with any used cylinder heads anymore. I was never one to sell used parts but if somebody needs them, where do you get it from?
Wow!!!! You can justify 20 heads?? And thats what you are admitting to. If you really got all your heads together I'm sure that is north of 35. Can you say hoarding?

·
Super Moderator
13,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #822
Wow!!!! You can justify 20 heads?? And thats what you are admitting to. If you really got all your heads together I'm sure that is north of 35. Can you say hoarding?
When guys like you run their cars out of water and overheat the engine, cracking the head....they’ll need a replacement.

🤣

·
Super Moderator
13,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #824
This is true. Can I have one please.
Place an order, get on the waiting list. I’ll need credit references of course.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
350 Posts
Well, it definitely didn’t fit into my new house’s decor. I considered selling it but since it was a very personalized item I changed my mind and decided to paint it and use it for my shop. However off-white lacquer and brass hardware doesn’t blend in too well to my shop environment.
View attachment 428787
May I recommend some new drawer pulls?

·
Opeler
429 Posts
Place an order, get on the waiting list. I’ll need credit references of course.
Ok. Now if I put in a rush prepaid order can I have it by the summer of 2043. Yes "2043"!!! Why so SOON? Well I want it for my son. Whats that you say?? Yes my son. That gives me time to find a girlfriend, knock her up, have a kid, get his licence and build a car. The funny part about this story is that you will be LATE !!! You got my Manta in 1989, 31years ago and I have not had 1 car completed by you since and you have a huge pile of my parts that you have had for 20 years.
Good thing that its not my daily driver....

·
Super Moderator
13,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #828
Ok. Now if I put in a rush prepaid order can I have it by the summer of 2043. Yes "2043"!!! Why so SOON? Well I want it for my son. Whats that you say?? Yes my son. That gives me time to find a girlfriend, knock her up, have a kid, get his licence and build a car. The funny part about this story is that you will be LATE !!! You got my Manta in 1989, 31years ago and I have not had 1 car completed by you since and you have a huge pile of my parts that you have had for 20 years.
Good thing that its not my daily driver....
Ouch...I think I struck a nerve.

Reactions: opelgtguy

·
Certified Opelholic
1,465 Posts
I remember years ago talking to Bob on the phone and he said he was headed out to pick-up a flow bench

wow that is cool (the whole time I am thinking what is a flow bench)

man time fly's

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What a beautiful shop, Bob!!

My dream one of these days is to have a garage big enough for four or five cars. I guess I'd better hurry as I'm now 65 years old.
I've been thinking along the same lines.. I'll be 70 in November and the reality is there is not enough time or money to do the things I want to do or get done... Now if only Bob would have the time and desire to restore the C&D 1900.

·
Super Moderator
13,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #833
The move continues.

All that remains in my rented space are cars. Everything else has been removed. The cars will remain there until I have my large storage loft built and my shop has sufficient floor space for the cars.

The racks for differentials need to be lagged to the walls before I go any further up, lest they become top heavy and unstable.

As you can see from the floor clutter, I still have other heavy duty storage shelves to build adjacent to the cylinder head storage rack. I’ll have a place for the transmissions, the crankshafts, and even complete engines.The goal is to keep the floor clear 100%.

Lastly, I brought more cylinder heads up and put them on the rack. As near as I can tell I only have 6 left or so and that’s all of them!

·
Super Moderator
13,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #835
It's going to be difficult to get the rear ends at the top of that rack down in a few years. (Yer not getting any younger)

Would you be better off making them shorter and putting shelves above them?
Well, the empty housings will go up high. They’re not heavy at all. And the goal is to finish a bunch of them in the next few years before I get that decrepit.

I’d like to get back into the gym when ths move is all over. Last year I was working out and I had better strength than I’ve had in 20 years. If you don’t use it, you lose it.

Lately I’ve been moving complete engines onto the trailer...dead lifting 315 lbs onto the trailer. Not as easy as it once was, but better than I could do 10 years ago. Last year when I was working out it was not a big deal at all.

Reactions: Vincent and dpre

·
Certified Opelholic
1,465 Posts
do you have an out building ? I have a 10X12 shed and a lot of my Opel parts ended up in the shed

I see the best and worst of the garage dream
1) best dream is to have a kick butt garage to work on cars
2) the down side would be to fill up the garage with parts

I still have a GT down in TX I need to go get

·
Super Moderator
13,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #837 (Edited)
do you have an out building ? I have a 10X12 shed and a lot of my Opel parts ended up in the shed

I see the best and worst of the garage dream
1) best dream is to have a kick butt garage to work on cars
2) the down side would be to fill up the garage with parts

I still have a GT down in TX I need to go get
No outbuilding...unless you consider the shop the outbuilding!

All the bulky stuff...head cores, transmissions, engine cores, rear axles....are going into the basement. The shop was built on the slope of a hill, so a basement was an easy addition to the plans.

The basement is split in two: Half is my future wood shop, the other half is storage and the bike shop. Each basement half-shop is roughly 22’ x 20’.

By building vertical storage racks for the cores, I can still retain some floor space, and can see what I have at a glance.

As far as the main shop goes, yes it is currently getting cluttered. Once the storage loft is built, everything that is on the floor, with the exception of tools and workbenches, will end up on the loft. So I will retain 95% of my floor space. That’s where the cars will go.

The fabrication shop will always have more floor clutter, but that’s just the nature of fabrication! I’ll have materials and tools and benches everywhere. Eventually I’ll have a lift, and that’s where the majority of the fabrication will most likely occur. Some stuff will be built on benches or workstations in the fabrication area.

·
Super Moderator
13,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #839 (Edited)
Being a carpenter by trade, I can't wait to see the wood shop. Bob does everything first class.
It will be fairly low key, so don’t expect much!

I never caught the woodworking bug, even though my grandfather was a master wood craftsman and my father and uncle own a massive architectural woodworking company in Connecticut. I did work there for years, but primarily doing machinery maintenance. So I kind of ‘get by’ with my woodworking, but that’s about it. Nothing to write home about.

However, once I moved to New Hampshire, I realized I didn’t have access to my dad’s woodworking shop like I did before! I never needed to own woodworking tools with a state of the art shop available to me at night and on weekends!

Basically the wood shop is going to be for small home projects (like repairing and refurbishing stuff we already own), for building things I need for my shop (like storage shelving, etc), and for making jigs and hammer forms for my metalworking projects.

Sorry to disappoint, but chances are it won’t be very impressive! Eventual plans are for a 4 x 8 workbench, a drill press, a small lathe, a miter saw, a spindle sander, a scroll saw and maybe larger band saw, a router table, and a table saw.

I currently have the miter saw, the drill press, and the small lathe, plus a few handheld electric tools. That’s about it...

·
RunOpel
1,274 Posts
Bob at least you have the space to call a workshop :) looking very nice

Reactions: davegt27
821 - 840 of 855 Posts