Opel GT Forum banner

841 - 855 of 855 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
Work has begun on a built-in cabinet and counter for my engine room. And then I ran out of materials, lol.

Of course today it’s raining...

·
Opeler
429 Posts
The move continues.

All that remains in my rented space are cars. Everything else has been removed. The cars will remain there until I have my large storage loft built and my shop has sufficient floor space for the cars.

The racks for differentials need to be lagged to the walls before I go any further up, lest they become top heavy and unstable.

As you can see from the floor clutter, I still have other heavy duty storage shelves to build adjacent to the cylinder head storage rack. I’ll have a place for the transmissions, the crankshafts, and even complete engines.The goal is to keep the floor clear 100%.

Lastly, I brought more cylinder heads up and put them on the rack. As near as I can tell I only have 6 left or so and that’s all of them! View attachment 429057 View attachment 429058 View attachment 429059 View attachment 429060 View attachment 429061 View attachment 429062
I have a question about the motors that you have on your trailer. Not the one with the green block, the other one. What motor is that?

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #843 (Edited)
I have a question about the motors that you have on your trailer. Not the one with the green block, the other one. What motor is that?
It’s just a warmed-over 2.2.

Stock 2.2 shortblock, with a 1.9H head that’s been milled .030”, with 2.0 valves and has blended bowls. True compression is 9.8:1, it has a mild hydraulic cam (.447”/.438” lift, 222/218 degree duration @ .050”, 112 degree LSA), stock 2.4 Opel springs and retainers. Stock rocker arms too.

It will get a Sprint exhaust manifold and twin 40 Mikuni PHH side drafts on welded Cannon intake manifolds. Nothing crazy, maybe 140-145 hp. No reason to rev it over 6500 with that cam and valvetrain.

Reactions: davegt27 and dpre

·
Opeler
429 Posts
It’s just a warmed-over 2.2.

Stock 2.2 shortblock, with a 1.9H head that’s been milled .030”, with 2.0 valves and has blended bowls. True compression is 9.8:1, it has a mild hydraulic cam (.447”/.438” lift, 222/218 degree duration @ .050”, 112 degree LSA), stock 2.4 Opel springs and retainers. Stock rocker arms too.

It will get a Sprint exhaust manifold and twin 40 Mikuni PHH side drafts on welded Cannon intake manifolds. Nothing crazy, maybe 140-145 hp. No reason to rev it over 6500 with that cam and valvetrain.
What Opel are you putting in? Sounds like a decent combo. So..What is the green motor?

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #846
What Opel are you putting in? Sounds like a decent combo. So..What is the green motor?
The grey one was always designed to be my low cost ‘catch all’ engine for inspection and for shake downs. It may end up in the Sportwagon until I have time to prep for the turbo engine (better brakes, suspension, fuel system, etc).

The green one is the original engine from your old red ‘72 wagon, refurbished with a big valve ported head and small camshaft. It’s getting the old school carbureted turbo system.

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #848
The cylinder head rack is pretty darn full now.

I finally lagged the differential racks to the walls, which allowed me to put some of the empty diff housings up high. Solid as a rock.

The engine room’s main cabinet is nearing completion. Face frame is painted, and I put some self adhesive carpet squares on the cabinet floor for cushioning. Not sure yet what is going to be stored in there however! I still need to make and install cabinet doors, and make and install a countertop.

For the basement storage, I built the rack for transmissions. At last count I had 22 or so. It’s all 2 x 6 lumber with 3/4” plywood, like the cylinder head rack. Damn near 400 screws! Its’s 30” deep, 79” tall, and 96” long. I’ve got a whole gallon of paint invested into it! It took almost 5 hours to get one coat of paint applied. Sheesh.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
350 Posts
It took almost 5 hours to get one coat of paint applied. Sheesh.
You may want to put out the hint that a "wagner paint sprayer" would be a nice gift for the guy who has everything (that needs to be painted battleship grey). And don't be subtle.

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #851
You may want to put out the hint that a "wagner paint sprayer" would be a nice gift for the guy who has everything (that needs to be painted battleship grey). And don't be subtle.
I’ve thought about it! However I wouldn’t spray indoors and get overspray on everything. And outdoors might be rough. Dirt driveway and all that. We get a lot of cross winds (which I love), but I think it would end up with a textured non-slip finish whether I wanted it or not!

·
Super Moderator
13,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #852
Transmission rack is in position. Next trip to my old barn I’ll bring back the rest of the gearboxes and load it up. Better than cluttering up the floor!

I also got some small parts bins in today. Unfortunately 6 other bins were on back order. But I will have every damn nut, bolt, clip, and fitting in one place for once in my life. And labeled...lol.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hours and hours of sorting and labeling, but well worth it. Work 10 times more effectively when you don't have to spread coffee cans full of fasteners out on a piece of cardboard to rummage through.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You shop is following my new hoarding mantra...

"Don't hoard it if you won't sort it"

The whole point of having all this stuff "just in case" is that when you need it, you're able to find it. If you're not sorted well enough to find all the stuff you're keeping, such that you end up in too much of a hurry to find it and just order new ones anyway... then get rid of your hoarding.

It's wonderful when everything has its place.

841 - 855 of 855 Posts