Opel GT Forum banner

881 - 900 of 906 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
So will this be the Opel Museum East? May not be up to the standard though. Unlike the West Coast one, I don't see piles of rusted junk, I'm mean parts, stacked to the ceiling. Heck, you could offer guided tours. Opel Pickers paradise. Instead of fill the bag, it will be fill a pallet.
I’m sure it won’t compare to others out there. “Rionart’s house of Opels” comes to mind! But it will be mine...

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #882
A little paint on the fascia, and I’m ready to start moving bins up top. Who knows, I might have a couple cars below today.

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
You aren't putting lights under your mezzanine? Seems rather amateur. 😉

·
1,721 Posts
Picked up the missing lumber today. Lumber selection sucks and prices have recently skyrocketed. Ugh.

Anyway, threw up some vinyl base on part of the back wall just to see how it looks. Big improvement!

I put up the plywood decking over the loft. Nothing like carrying sheets of plywood up a ladder... I’m getting too old for this stuff.

Also built the 4’ x 8’ ‘transition’ deck which is where the staircase will be built off. It’s one level down from the loft I just built, and it will be about two steps higher than the really big loft I still have to build. That one will have most of the parts on it, and all my cars under it! View attachment 430016 View attachment 430017 View attachment 430018 View attachment 430019 View attachment 430020 View attachment 430021 View attachment 430022 View attachment 430045 View attachment 430046
Picked up the missing lumber today. Lumber selection sucks and prices have recently skyrocketed. Ugh.

Anyway, threw up some vinyl base on part of the back wall just to see how it looks. Big improvement!

I put up the plywood decking over the loft. Nothing like carrying sheets of plywood up a ladder... I’m getting too old for this stuff.

Also built the 4’ x 8’ ‘transition’ deck which is where the staircase will be built off. It’s one level down from the loft I just built, and it will be about two steps higher than the really big loft I still have to build. That one will have most of the parts on it, and all my cars under it! View attachment 430016 View attachment 430017 View attachment 430018 View attachment 430019 View attachment 430020 View attachment 430021 View attachment 430022 View attachment 430045 View attachment 430046
One Item still needed in Beer fridge area.
bar.jpg
bar.jpg

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
That's an odd shape for a workbench...

Reactions: MattsAwesomeStuff

·
Registered
650 Posts
You are right. Bob doesn't need a bigger shop, he needs less stuff. It is overwhelming to have so much....you can't find anything.
I've never really had a lot, so I tend to keep everything. Broken air compressor? Well, who knows when I'll have another broken air compressor and need parts from it. Etc. Luckily my hobbies are generally electronic based, so, a full hobby's worth of hoarding is still a fairly small footprint.

But, last few years I've noticed, all the stuff I keep "just in case", I don't want to put the effort into finding when I need, so I just end up buying new. Between that and helping a few hoarders move, and seeing "If I don't change, this is me in 30 years, and I don't want this to be me", I've written my new motto: "If you won't sort it, don't hoard it". At very minimum, keeping lots of stuff just in case, has to be retrievable. That's not sufficient, but it's a good place to start, else you're just lying to yourself and pathalogically hoarding, rather than practical hoarding.

Bob's at the far end of the "well sorted" spectrum. Everything has its place, everything looks like it belongs. It's a bit of a luxury that he has a big shop (that he's worked for, and earned), but it's still a good reminder of the right way to do things.

It's good to look at good examples of people who behave similar to you. Lots of people just don't "get it", and to them everything hobby related is junk. And if you discard that unapplicable advice, you don't really have a lot to aim for without role models closer to what you're trying to achieve.

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #888
You are right. Bob doesn't need a bigger shop, he needs less stuff. It is overwhelming to have so much....you can't find anything.
Well, that’s the point of the shop. Enough room to store my projects, work on my projects, and organize the parts needed for my projects.

Previously everything was scattered over three different storage facilities. Kind of tough to know where anything is when it’s crammed into boxes and potentially an hour’s drive away.

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #890
You still need a barcode inventory system with GPS location finder.
You offering to set such a system up? 🤣

·
Vendor
2,718 Posts
I've never really had a lot, so I tend to keep everything. Broken air compressor? Well, who knows when I'll have another broken air compressor and need parts from it. Etc. Luckily my hobbies are generally electronic based, so, a full hobby's worth of hoarding is still a fairly small footprint.

But, last few years I've noticed, all the stuff I keep "just in case", I don't want to put the effort into finding when I need, so I just end up buying new. Between that and helping a few hoarders move, and seeing "If I don't change, this is me in 30 years, and I don't want this to be me", I've written my new motto: "If you won't sort it, don't hoard it". At very minimum, keeping lots of stuff just in case, has to be retrievable. That's not sufficient, but it's a good place to start, else you're just lying to yourself and pathalogically hoarding, rather than practical hoarding.

Bob's at the far end of the "well sorted" spectrum. Everything has its place, everything looks like it belongs. It's a bit of a luxury that he has a big shop (that he's worked for, and earned), but it's still a good reminder of the right way to do things.

It's good to look at good examples of people who behave similar to you. Lots of people just don't "get it", and to them everything hobby related is junk. And if you discard that unapplicable advice, you don't really have a lot to aim for without role models closer to what you're trying to achieve.

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
Well, the first car is positioned under the loft. This should work out nicely.

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #893
Yesterday I got another car emptied out and cleaned up, and towed it home.

Reactions: Mercougary

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
I think you should put some plywood or something on those walls behind the shelves so that you don't punch holes in your sheetrock when putting stuff on and off of them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 20 year rule in my garage. If I haven't touched it in 20 years, I should think about getting rid of it. However, whenever I find a use for some piece of scrap that I have saved for 30 years, it makes me reconsider the 20 year rule. I must admit that I have put the 20 year rule into practice and it has helped make room for new junk.

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #896
‘Bonnie’, my 1970 California GT I got from Roger Wilson, is finally home.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Maybe a dumb question But is this the only GT you have?

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #898
Maybe a dumb question But is this the only GT you have?
Yes it is. I have my father’s never-ending GT project as well. I owned one other GT in the early 1990’s too.

But I prefer the model 50 chassis (Manta, Ascona, wagon), as they ride much better and handle much better. And the cars themselves are far easier to work on.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yes it is. I have my father’s never-ending GT project as well. I owned one other GT in the early 1990’s too.

But I prefer the model 50 chassis (Manta, Ascona, wagon), as they ride much better and handle much better. And the cars themselves are far easier to work on.
Is your Fathers gt the red one I saw a while back?

·
Super Moderator
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #900
Reactions: terrylewisac
881 - 900 of 906 Posts