Opel GT Forum banner

901 - 920 of 949 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
1,642 Posts
Yes it is. I have my father’s never-ending GT project as well. I owned one other GT in the early 1990’s too.

But I prefer the model 50 chassis (Manta, Ascona, wagon), as they ride much better and handle much better. And the cars themselves are far easier to work on.

Yeah Bob, You should jump back on your fathers GT, it would be ""RallyBob" nice with all the Custom Turbo, and welding work, etc, you've done all these years to finally drive it.
It would Really be Nice to See it ALL DONE, after all theses years..
After All that's where you left off right before you closed your shop in CT.
I saw your fathers car in your shop in the 90's and that really inspired my Opel addiction. :rolleyes:

It would probably make your dad and your wife really proud too 🤗

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #902 ·
Yeah Bob, You should jump back on your fathers GT, it would be ""RallyBob" nice with all the Custom Turbo, and welding work, etc, you've done all these years to finally drive it.
It would Really be Nice to See it ALL DONE, after all theses years..
After All that's where you left off right before you closed your shop in CT.
I saw your fathers car in your shop in the 90's and that really inspired my Opel addiction. :rolleyes:

It would probably make your dad and your wife really proud too 🤗
Mike, that is going to be a priority for me once the shop is set up. Trouble is, it’s a huge job. And on top of that, over the years I kept changing things. Totally my fault! I’m on the 3rd set of wheels for the car. Into the 3rd suspension redesign too. Second engine variation, and 3rd turbo. 2nd transmission. 2nd rear axle. Etc.

I keep spending money then changing my mind, just trying to make it better bit by bit.
I think I have it all figured out now. I’m going to really try to stick to the current plan!

The biggie is I need to build my English wheel now that I’m 2 hours away from my friend’s restoration shop. I can’t just borrow his stuff like I used to. I’m building everything on the car in metal...no plastic filler if possible, no fiberglass.

Reactions: opellane

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #903 ·
Today was a big day for me in the shop. I got a huge pile of bins cleaned up, and put them up in the loft. And finally moved the other two cars under the loft. Just one more car needs to fit under there.

I’m really happy with how it looks, it’s almost exactly how I envisioned it working in my mind, and on my sketches. Once everything is labeled and put away on shelves (the shelves will have to wait until next year!), the shop should be easy to keep neat, the floor should be relatively uncluttered, and all the parts will be accessible.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
What are you going to do about rodent control? A heated, dry space in the middle of the woods has to be pretty inviting to the local cast of characters.

·
Opeler
469 Posts
Today was a big day for me in the shop. I got a huge pile of bins cleaned up, and put them up in the loft. And finally moved the other two cars under the loft. Just one more car needs to fit under there.

I’m really happy with how it looks, it’s almost exactly how I envisioned it working in my mind, and on my sketches. Once everything is labeled and put away on shelves (the shelves will have to wait until next year!), the shop should be easy to keep neat, the floor should be relatively uncluttered, and all the parts will be accessible. View attachment 431127 View attachment 431128 View attachment 431129 View attachment 431130 View attachment 431131
I counted roughly 60 bins. Do you know what is in them? Seriously, did you label them?

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #910 ·
I counted roughly 60 bins. Do you know what is in them? Seriously, did you label them?
There’s over 100 bins. This will get organized and labeled once the shelves are built. No time now, as moving cars is more important before the snow flies.

I probably won’t get to it until springtime

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #911 ·
What are you going to do about rodent control? A heated, dry space in the middle of the woods has to be pretty inviting to the local cast of characters.
We have JP Pest treat our property. I also don’t leave the shop doors open! The shop is very tightly built and sealed.

·
Opeler
469 Posts
There’s over 100 bins. This will get organized and labeled once the shelves are built. No time now, as moving cars is more important before the snow flies.

I probably won’t get to it until springtime
Hmmm...Let see. 100 bins times, average 30lbs, whats that 3,000lbs. Take them down and put them back, 3,000 x 2= 6,000lbs... That a fair bit of exercise! And thats just those bin. You won't have to go to any gym.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #913 ·
Car #6 made it home. I’m officially past the halfway point! It’s also the 5th car designed to fit under the storage loft.

I have one strictly ‘parts’ car which I’ll stash in the basement for now, next to the Manta vintage race car. It’s not ideal for basement storage, but they both fit down there and not clutter the main shop, which will make the winter organization project a lot easier.

I think I can get 2 or 3 more cars moved this week, weather dependent. It’s supposed to rain on and off and may also snow at the end of the week. I’m trying to avoid wet roads and salt.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
608 Posts
Car #6 made it home. I’m officially past the halfway point! It’s also the 5th car designed to fit under the storage loft.

I have one strictly ‘parts’ car which I’ll stash in the basement for now, next to the Manta vintage race car. It’s not ideal for basement storage, but they both fit down there and not clutter the main shop, which will make the winter organization project a lot easier.

I think I can get 2 or 3 more cars moved this week, weather dependent. It’s supposed to rain on and off and may also snow at the end of the week. I’m trying to avoid wet roads and salt. View attachment 431188 View attachment 431189 View attachment 431190 View attachment 431191
WOW.....most impressive...

·
290 Posts
I don't remember seeing any pictures of the Manta vintage car...

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #916 ·
I don't remember seeing any pictures of the Manta vintage car...
It’s the car in the basement. It’s Ed Funk’s old ITB car, which was the replacement for his old ITB car which got destroyed at Nelson Ledges. This car has two logbooks filled with endurance races, including Daytona. I figured it’s the most raced Manta in the US in terms of racing hours. I think there was a full log book of 6, 12, and 24 hour races.

I straightened the front framerails and cut off the front clip years ago, it was too bent to repair. I just got a donor clip this year for it.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #917 ·
Car #7 made it home today. I will move #8 tomorrow, perhaps even #9 if all goes well.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,496 Posts
All these photos of the new shop getting filled up with Opel parts... I'm realizing RB is um... unwell. LOL. I don't believe there is a cure for this level of Opelitous. I'm also afraid to ever visit said shop, it might be contagious. I can't afford to store 9 Opels at my house.

·
Senior Contributor
1,642 Posts
What a Great new Work shop you have created Bob... Now I know where to retire NH... LOL the state with the most Opel's and Opeler's ... you'll see :) Your shop is amazing,
Now that you have invested a good amount into your shop. I sure hope you will have enough funds and the Energy and time to finish all thoses Opel's in your shop. .wow It's sure is a pitty with all those Opel's you have,
you
don't even have one of them to drive right now. won't be long now, Good Luck , All the Best
Cheers

901 - 920 of 949 Posts