Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Good Lord, get out of my way. I remember being stationed in Germany, this looks like the Autobahn. Well Autobahn without the freeway. I guess the guy had good reason.

Bob

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I gave up on the redlights. I was too focused on the streets. All I can say is Dam! Awesome driving. Awesome video too. Thanks Ron. Jarrell

·
RunOpel
1,246 Posts
Wow that is crazy driving for sure. Count the lights, what lights (just kidding).

Anyone one to try that in a Opel GT???

I do...

·
Opeler
1,417 Posts
Excellent! This is one of my favorite driving films. I first saw it back in the 80's at a company management seminar. They were trying to make the point that with skill and determination you will meet your goal and be rewarded at the end. I once saw an interview with the guy who made the film and he used a Ferrari with the camera set down low on the car and he did it in one take. Also said that he would never do it again. Judging from the very light Paris traffic it was probably done at about dawn on a Sunday morning.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
OH boy a little pucker here a little pucker there ho hay watch it big pucker there:lmao:
remind me to never ride with this guy:no:
Anyone know what car the orange one is at the 3:01 mark?

·
Opeler
763 Posts
That looks like it may have been a police car, blasting through Paris. I noticed that almost every vehicle that was passed, had pulled to the side, with turn signals, and brake lights. Po Po Privilege.

·
Registered
592 Posts
It wasn’t filmed with a Ferrari. It was filmed with a Mercedes and then a Ferrari engine soundtrack was recorded for the footage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C'était_un_rendez-vous

Still, crazy film knowing nothing was staged in the driving. A lot of close calls.
When the film came out, it was rumored that a Formula 1 driver was behind the wheel, but that his identity could not be revealed because of the manufacturer conflict between his team and the Ferrari that was supposedly used in the film. The cited article fails to note that, in 2004, a Texas couple, Phil and Dorothee Auldridge, under the corporate name "2 acres and a mule productions" duplicated the trip using a vintage Ferrari, titling the film "Rendezvous du Nuit (Night Encounter)". I have DVDs of both productions and the original is far superior. The Auldridges continue to operate, owning and renting out numerous homes.
Home Page
They also sell cars
Auto Sales Austin

There is no mention of the film re-make on either of the websites and I cannot find any mention of it doing a Google search, but I do have it sitting on my desk. My guess is that they ran into some legal difficulties with Lelouch over their production.

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He ran 16 red lights and not one near miss
Also from Joseph's link:

On the chosen course there were two people who knew to expect Lelouch. First there was Élie Chouraqui, his first assistant, who was posted with a walkie-talkie in the Rue de Rivoli, behind the archway exiting from the gardens of the Louvre palace, meaning to assist the driver at the only blind junction (archway);[2] however, Lelouch has revealed that the radios failed, and if Chouraqui had tried to warn him of a pedestrian the message would not have been received.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ron, Thanks for posting that film. I found a copy of that DVD years ago and introduced it to friends as a ride thru Paris in my Opel GT.
So I won't debate whether the actual car was a Ferrari or a Mercedes, to me the Better story is a F1 driver in a Ferrari, The BEST story is me in my GT.

I found this on a Hagerty website, www.hagerty/article-videos....https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/04/03/the-legend-of-cetait-un-rendez-vous
This one can be full screen with good sound. The echo coming thru the Louvre is impressive.

When I walked up the Champs - Elysee's with the idea of going up in the Arc de Triumph I didn't know there was an underground walkway under the ultimate
round a bout and was not willing to be a pedestrian in there. Watching this brings up all kinds of memories, unfortunately non of them are of really driving in Paris.

So the Hagerty link doesn't work for me as posted ( copy and paste ) maybe someone with more smarts can help

·
Registered
630 Posts
Bob....SpringGT, I tried to send you a message re my February visit to Houston, your message box is full.

·
Vendor
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ron, Thanks for posting that film. I found a copy of that DVD years ago and introduced it to friends as a ride thru Paris in my Opel GT.
So I won't debate whether the actual car was a Ferrari or a Mercedes, to me the Better story is a F1 driver in a Ferrari, The BEST story is me in my GT.

I found this on a Hagerty website, www.hagerty/article-videos....https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/04/03/the-legend-of-cetait-un-rendez-vous
This one can be full screen with good sound. The echo coming thru the Louvre is impressive.

When I walked up the Champs - Elysee's with the idea of going up in the Arc de Triumph I didn't know there was an underground walkway under the ultimate
round a bout and was not willing to be a pedestrian in there. Watching this brings up all kinds of memories, unfortunately non of them are of really driving in Paris.

So the Hagerty link doesn't work for me as posted ( copy and paste ) maybe someone with more smarts can help
Roy,
This link works
Assuming you aren't single, the only problem with claiming this is you and your GT is explaining the blond
mademoiselle at the end. :p
Imagine trying this today. You would trip about 30 traffic light cameras, and the only one waiting for you at the end would
be the local gendarme.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ron, That link works. Thanks. My 'problem' with You Tube is every thing I watch brings up many more videos, I spent over an hour today riding around Paris.

If I had to explain a Montmarte Blonde to a wife, the first thing that comes to mind is 'A long lost niece found though that DNA test I took last year,
Better than the horse thief on your side of the family' .... Some time travel involved there. Ha Ha ....Anything is possible in a story or the Movies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts