Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The picture of this car generated some discussion on Facebook:

The question was asked if Opels were fiberglass and I replied, no, they're steel and that the car had a fiberglass aftermarket hood and air dam and the headlights had been modded away and the "nostrils" widened.

Turns out I was wrong. Uwe Klippert, who works at Opel, corrected me and said that it had a "Lenner" fiberglass one-piece nose/fender kit on it. They were a company, like Lenk Tuning or Steinmetz that was around in the 80's/90's that made aftermarket stuff for Opels and other cars. He said the GT nose/fender thing was item: "Komplettes Frontteil ohne Scheinwerfer 895 DM in 1988. Around 450 €."

On this page they offered side pipes:

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
704 Posts
Beautiful car, great paint, love the hood, really hate the head lights, just too much,too big, too much space dedicated to the headlight fixtures, which does nothing for the overall look of the car,
in my humble opinion. One light on each side perhaps, high beam low beam, but looks like the front is nothing but lights.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think I could have a gt if it looked like that.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Beautiful car, great paint, love the hood, really hate the head lights, just too much,too big, too much space dedicated to the headlight fixtures, which does nothing for the overall look of the car,
in my humble opinion. One light on each side perhaps, high beam low beam, but looks like the front is nothing but lights.
Maybe even a single round on each side under the bumper like a 2000gt

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
nicely done though I like both of them It does seem just a little weird today with the two head lights but my first 2 cars had 2 headlights also maybe just a time period thing?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was the "Rectangular Era" that came along after our GTs. Remember the look of the Opel GT2?

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,424 Posts
Turns out I was wrong. Uwe Klippert, who works at Opel, corrected me and said that it had a "Lenner" fiberglass one-piece nose/fender kit on it. They were a company, like Lenk Tuning or Steinmetz that was around in the 80's/90's that made aftermarket stuff for Opels and other cars. He said the GT nose/fender thing was item: "Komplettes Frontteil ohne Scheinwerfer 895 DM in 1988. Around 450 €."
That Lenner catalog was my bible back in the 80es! I might still have one in one of my dozen car binders that sat untouched in the last 20 years!

Dieter

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Detritus Maximus
2,873 Posts
nicely done though I like both of them It does seem just a little weird today with the two head lights but my first 2 cars had 2 headlights also maybe just a time period thing?
Could be that a single hi/low beam was too big. The quad lights would allow smaller separate hi's and low's.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Could be that a single hi/low beam was too big. The quad lights would allow smaller separate hi's and low's.
Could very well be
On a side note I loved the way mine were like that back in the day as a youngster if I was in a real hurry at night there were certain areas with not well lit roads ( more common yrs ago) and I would run my hazards and keep blinking my high & low beams, pretty funny, people would get out of my way very quickly, and probably not happy after I'd fly by when they realized I wasn't an emergency vehicle but I was never later nor got in trouble and boy was it hilarious

1 - 9 of 9 Posts