Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
*lightbulb moment*

well guys, I did a thing. I was dead set on getting it back to its original color (or what was left of it) before fully stripping and getting all of the body work going. This is not a sprint for me, so I have time. i brought out the old faithful orbital and found some really bad ass 80 grit screens to fit. Turns out, there's a lot of yellow under all that lipstick. Burnt thru the pads and needed to get more, but that's what this weekend is for. Very pleased with how much of the factory yellow is still there. She's no show car, but that yellow is making me change my mind on what color I wanna repaint her. Might have to go with a steinmitz style paint job. Decisions, decisions....

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
another lightbulb!

Going to compile a list of parts that I know for a fact I do not and will not need for the future. I will provide another listing with all of the parts once inventoried and pictures taken. As of right now, I know we have:
1.9 engine (head disassembled, but parts are all in my possession....)
4spd stock gearbox
2 carbs (99% sure they're both 32/36 Webers, will verify and take pictures)
steinmitz flares (still on the fence about this one, haven't fully decided yet...)

Ill dig thru the rest of my crates I got with the car and see what else we have. Will probably post in the "parts for sale" section as well. I am in the SoCal area, if anyone is interested to kick tires and look around, shoot me a message and we can link up. I WILL have interior parts as well, all of the interior is in *Decent* shape. some tears, but nothing that isn't salvageable... Do not know when I will be stripping the interior, but I'm sure it can be of use to someone in the community.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Another day of sanding and I'm very happy with the outcome. A lot more yellow than I was anticipating under all that crap paint and bondo... also happened to receive some free rims as well. 18x8 with what looks like a +35mm offset and they're 5x114.3 lug pattern..... would have to get some wheel adapters for it and they're larger than I originally intended on going, but free is free. Will have to do some mock up work and see if they'll have any issues....

Has anyone run 18's on their GT?
I know I've seen some with 17's, and wondering how the do with turning. Not having PS seems like they might be a bear to turn at a standstill. might mount them, might not. Haven't done much digging into the issue, I just don't say no to "free". :ugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The restoration shop that did my '71 suggested I take as much paint off as possible before shipping the car to them, as a means of saving me some expense. They recommended paint remover -- Zip Strip --. Lots easier than trying to sand it all off.
Thanks for the info.

Not trying to get it all the way down to bare just yet. The goal was/is to get it down to the original color (yellow) and see how much of it is left..... When its body shop time, I will definitely check that out and get her stripped down!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Finally got back to Blitzing

picked up some LED's and got them installed. Oddly, passenger side plugged and worked flawlessly. Driver side worked intermittently. started messing with the plugs and wires to see if maybe one was loose.... swapped all of the pigtails and lights to the passenger side for process of elimination. Light, canbus, adapter all work just fine on the pass side. Clearly i have a wiring issue on the driver side..... Plans for the weekend include digging thru the harness and replacing the wiring for driver side (maybe both since ill already be in there....) and installing the 100A one-wire alternator I picked up.

Question for those doing the alternator swap. Did you have to remove the dizzy to get the swap done? started removal of the original alt and it won't squeeze past the dizzy without removing the fan shroud and fan, wont make it past the distributor well in the block to go towards the rear and remove mid-block. Pretty sure this is about my only real option.... not a big deal, already have clocking ascribed on the block and dizzy for timing... Just curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Not trying to get it all the way down to bare just yet. The goal was/is to get it down to the original color (yellow) and see how much of it is left..... When its body shop time, I will definitely check that out and get her stripped down!
Sorry about changing the subject matter, but how do you like the black stripe from the hood to the back? Had a Manta Rallye and the hood was so distinctive with it. Thanks, Jarrell

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry about changing the subject matter, but how do you like the black stripe from the hood to the back? Had a Manta Rallye and the hood was so distinctive with it. Thanks, Jarrell
I personally love it. It was laid down with the red paint, which was over the top of the factory yellow. When the time comes, I'm going to change it around, but for the time being, It's staying as is. It doesn't seem to take anything away from the body lines or the overall appeal. The end result of the paint I want to do is below. corvette yellow with the Seinmetz stripes or similar

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I personally love it. It was laid down with the red paint, which was over the top of the factory yellow. When the time comes, I'm going to change it around, but for the time being, It's staying as is. It doesn't seem to take anything away from the body lines or the overall appeal. The end result of the paint I want to do is below. corvette yellow with the Steinmetz stripes or similar
Mine was yellow, then got painted brown. I think, my opinion, is to add the Steinmetz Flares and go with the Corvette Yellow. That would look good. Jarrell

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
got her figured

Pulled the fan and shroud, took pulley/fan off of the alternator. Squeezed it in without too much of an issue, just had to play Tetris. decided to remove the original lower bracket and use the universal "F" shape bracket with an aluminum spacer to make up the difference. For the upper bracket, I got a universal slotted as well. Bent it around the dizzy well in the block, cut the end off of the overly long slot and it too worked like a dream.

Once installed, simply took the advise of every alternator post that has been made. Remove the regulator, cut the idiot wire and attached it to the #1 post on the alternator. Easy as pie when all said and done. Best upgrade I've made yet.

Next came the LED's. I installed and tested them last weekend, but only one of them worked. Didn't dig into the wiring as it was late in the day and I knew I'd be doing the alternator work this weekend. previous owner wired the driver side incorrectly for my application, easy fix.

WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE a massive alternator and some LED's work. i only have the LED's on the headlights, the rest are still halogen. See for yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
DaNcIn ShOes!!!!

Hasn't been much going on with Blitz other than cruising and enjoying the weekends. Decided to start getting rid of the stripe..... Don't know why, one night I just had the itch to see how much MORE of the yellow was under there.

Now shes got new dancing shoes, and I'm trying to rush today to get them wrapped and balanced. Apparently there's a Triumph meet-up tomorrow (Saturday) and from what I hear, the triumph boys and girls are a little more "uppity" and "Purist" than other car groups. As you have heard and seen from my previous pictures and descriptions, the Triumph GT6 I am building to compete against is FAAAAAAAAAAR from stock. It will be an absolute pleasure to scumbag some people. any autocross runners that have suggestions for rubber? I am tossing back and forth between Falken Azenis RT615+ and the Dunlop Direzza ZIII. I have first hand knowledge that the Direzza model a step down from the ZIII is a "sticky sombitch" on the track. just curious if anyone has another suggestion for tire. Running 205/50/R15

Attachments

·
RunOpel
832 Posts
Nice looking rims Cody and just my opinion, but I like the Dunlap Direzza ZIII Formula Series (pricey though)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Nice looking rims Cody and just my opinion, but I like the Dunlap Direzza ZIII Formula Series (pricey though)
I was aiming for the Falken's but I found out that they have an exclusive deal with Tire Rack. I was trying to get tires by end of day. ended up getting a decent deal on the Dunlop Direzza DZ102's. They did not have availability for the Z3's... My good friend has had multiple very good experiences with the Direzza series keeping his 3500lb, 660hp, '69 4 door chevelle concourse on-track and stuck. Figured they shouldn't have any trouble with a 1900lb 80(ish)hp car stuck well enough. We'll see!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
updated daylight pics

What a difference!
Same width tires, but man are they sticky! Highlights the next set of moves that need to be made, that being shocks and sway bars..... All in due time....

On another note, gave the car a (VERY) thin coat of boiled linseed oil to help save the bare metal areas and the original paint. definitely a fan of the color pop it brought out of the yellow.

Not much else to update on..... Track day scheduled for December 7th in Fontana for Speed Ventures autocross if anyone wants to swing by!
Price to get a car in for racing is $89. Tech inspection is minimal, helmet and seat belts mostly. Spectators are $10 I believe. They usually have the roval open for another class, but still a good time to watch the V8's go around the roundy round.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What was the decent deal on those tires? I think you will like those tires :yup:
Tire rack had them for $97/tire. I wanted to get them installed Friday night and didn't want to wait for delivery, then go mount, balance, etc....

I got them for $130/ out the door, mounted, balanced, tax, and it was all done at my house by a mobile truck. Pretty trick setup, and I prefer to support the little guys local to me.

So far at highway speeds, I am very pleased. Track day will be a BLAST.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts