Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't want to violate copy right so have a look at the Holden GTR-X , I can't help but think the designer were at least aware of the Opel GT. Drivetrain came from the Torana XU-1 a stretched (to fit a Holden six with cam and triple carbs) Opel/Vauxhall variant.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,109 Posts
You've got it backwards...the Pontiac G8 IS a Holden. Built in Australia and exported to the US. The platform (also was used for the new gen Camaro) is not Opel related...as far as I know, but the Pontiac GTO is. The early 2000s GTO was a rebadged Holden Monaro, which was a two door version of the Holden Commodore....which was based on the Opel Commodore platform. For years Holden has used the Opel Commodore platforms as a starting point. Just like Lionel Ritch, The Commodores were just the beginning.

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
The Young One
558 Posts
You've got it backwards...the Pontiac G8 IS a Holden. Built in Australia and exported to the US. The platform (also was used for the new gen Camaro) is not Opel related...as far as I know, but the Pontiac GTO is. The early 2000s GTO was a rebadged Holden Monaro, which was a two door version of the Holden Commodore....which was based on the Opel Commodore platform. For years Holden has used the Opel Commodore platforms as a starting point. Just like Lionel Ritch, The Commodores were just the beginning.
I was wondering how that all went. Thanks for the info.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,109 Posts
Did they use the 350 Chev engine as well?
I think he meant the styling. It's really more like a larger Rekord/Commodore.
The Monaros used a couple Australian inline 6s, a 253 and a 308. They also used the US 307s, 327s and 350s.
It was sold in South Africa as the Chevrolet SS.

Reactions: soybean

·
Detritus Maximus
3,109 Posts
Yeah, I can't believe the prices of old Monaros...absolutely insane.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No. 4 cyl 1.9 Litre engines.
This model came out with the 1.9 cih. Strange but most didn't go for the four. Which opel is this kin to?
Same shop display today. this is the hot 5lt version the more popular race version was the hatchback called A9X, and I worked with a guy had the hotter version of this called SLR 5000 L34 a mouthful but the only one I have ever seen in the flesh.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Oh wow, That is an Opel? I want one! That is one Bad As.. Car. What is under the hood? Where was the picture taken? I have a lot of Questions. We need more details please.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh wow, That is an Opel? I want one! That is one Bad As.. Car. What is under the hood? Where was the picture taken? I have a lot of Questions. We need more details please.
That is more or less stock standard except for the drop tank which was a common mod to finish off that track car look. They run a 308 Holden V8. I didn't pay them much attention as a teen but your right Bad As.. . I loved watching the race in the 70's when the track car really where modified street cars. Check out Bathurst 500 footage from the time a 500 mile race circuit over a mountain which was a public road they closed for the event. Footage doesn't show how scary that road really is.
The picture was taken today at the shopping centre, They have been selling raffle tickets for it. I was thinking of spending on a ticket but I really need some argon this fortnight.
My GT is running a gearbox for the 4 cyl version of the model , gear shift come out to far back so I spun around and mounted a cut down shift bent forward.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,109 Posts
Soy...
That is a later Torana. Kind of like a larger Ascona B. You can really see the mid-70s GM style in it. We got some of that look in the 75 and later Nova SS.

Reactions: soybean
1 - 20 of 23 Posts