Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently built in the 2.4 cih engine from the omega a `89.

when the swap was complete the engine wouldn`t start because the ignition coil didn`t get enough voltage (9V in stead of 12V). I replaced the resistance wire that goes to my fuse box. and the engine runs great.

only since i replaced this wire for a normal wire, my indicator lights and my normal lights don`t work any more. also my alarm light doesnt work anymore.

all the other systems seem to work. if i put the key off contact and i put on the indicator then the parking lights burn normal. so i know that the bulbs and connections are still ok....
if i do set the key on contact or with runing engine then I also don`t hear any click from the relay that normally is heard when i switch on the indicator lights. the indicator lights on the dashboard are also nog working anymore.

does anybody have any tips to solve this problem?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jan, you may want to check out your fuses also. The 9 volts you got to the coil via that resistor wire is what the Opel coil needs to function properly. During starting, another wire from the starter solenoid supplies direct battery voltage to the coil. When you put the key in the start position you disconnect the coil wire from the fuse panel to the coil so another source of power is supplied by the starter solenoid to the coil. I would double check the coil requirements to be sure you don't destroy your coil because of excessive voltage during running of the engine without the resistor wire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I askes some guys here what they did and they said that the omega coil has no problems wiht the higher voltage..

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
a relay was broken i have sort of the same problem my blinker relay will get stuck on and it casues the tack to jump wildly as well as most of the time it happens the engine will die but as soon as i turn the car off and wait a second then turn it back on itll run fine till it happens again, any ideas???? :confused:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
PV Car, I would double check the ground wire at the fuse panel. It's the brown one with a ring terminal that's attached at the same stud the fuse panel is held up with. It appears the flasher is looking for a ground and finding it through the tach. BTW, this is the only ground for all the gages and instrument panel. I ran a second wire from the ground terminal gang bus on the back of the speedo to a sheetmetal screw that screwed into the firewall. HTH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts