Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the group, but not new to enthusiast forums for my other vehicles.

I was looking to add another vehicle to my stable, and in talking with a friend of mine he showed me a vehicle left from his parent's estate that he wants to sell. From what I've read here, at wikipedia, and through online searches, it appears to be an Opel Kadett B 4 door (I'm pretty sure it was a 4 door) sedan from the late 60's/early 70's. It's been sitting in a garage for many years, as it was a project of my friend's father who had a small repair shop for some years. Looks like his father did some minor body work to it to clean up some rust spots and things like that. It seems to be in mostly original condition...everything seemed to be there.

I don't think this one is going to be my cup of tea (I'm looking for an older diesel car to use for commuting), but this forum seemed like the right place to put it in the hands of someone who could appreciate the vehicle - and I could help my friend clear out something from his parent's estate - Lord knows, there's always a lot of work involved in settling those.

I don't have pictures, yet, but I'd be willing to get them posted up here and document the vehicle. If I'm going to do that, I guess I'm asking the forum what other information is important to this group as part of offering the car for sale? From what I read in posts, it seems like the 4 doors (and, it was a quick look but I seem to remember it as a 4-door) are rare? So, is there something that would benefit the forum to document and post about this car before it goes to its new owner?

Thanks,
Karl in IL, USA

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the far NW suburbs of Chicago - in Johnsburg. This car is located pretty close to O'Hare airport.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,405 Posts
Pictures

When you get a chance, post some pictures

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
From what I read in posts, it seems like the 4 doors (and, it was a quick look but I seem to remember it as a 4-door) are rare?
The four-door Kadett sedan was imported in 1966 only. It came in two versions, standard and deluxe. The deluxe came with the 1.1S engine and disc brakes on the front. I bought a new Deluxe sedan in 66. I chose the Deluxe for the disc brakes. It was a pretty good little car, but quite prone to rusting. If you could determine if this car has the front disc brakes or not would provide a bit more information for any potential buyer. Bill

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I should have a chance to stop and look at it again this coming Monday. I'll take some pictures then, and determine if it has disc brakes in front. I'll also gather some of the other pertinent details (mileage, state of the interior, engine, etc.).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kadett B 4 door?

Hi There!

My father had a 1965 Kadett B sedan 2 door (left-hand drive) purchased NEW when he was stationed in Osnabruck, Germany with the British forces. I was given this as my first car in 1978 as a 17th Birthday present, unfortunately I wrote it off in 1984 after upgrading the engine from 1100cc to 1200cc (1.2S engine) but the front/rear brakes were drums, should have changed the front brakes to discs as the latter 1973 models, in fact the front suspension beam should have been changed to support coil springs and the back axle too with coil springs as the 1973-75 models instead of th dated rear leaf springs, then probably the car would still have been with us today....still have the Manta A though....stunning beauty!!

Shame the car is not in the UK? Also, never came across the 4 door...must have been for the US market...safety exit for the rear passengers I suppose, american's are fussy in that respect. Best of luck with the sale.

Regards George

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got confirmation to look at it again tonight. So, on my list of things to gather is:
1) pictures
2) disc brakes up front?
3) general other details about the condition

I should have more to post tomorrow. Thanks for the input so far.

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to start a new thread on this one, then, in order to reflect a correct subject line.

This is a 4-door, and it has front disc brakes. But, it is a 1971 Ascona 1900S with an automatic transmission. 51,xxx original miles and the black interior is in decent shape. Here's a teaser image, and then I'll start a new thread on this one. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,716 Posts
I'll have to start a new thread on this one, then, in order to reflect a correct subject line.

This is a 4-door, and it has front disc brakes. But, it is a 1971 Ascona 1900S with an automatic transmission. 51,xxx original miles and the black interior is in decent shape. Here's a teaser image, and then I'll start a new thread on this one. Thanks!

There's one of these in south GA, down in Tifton......

·
Super Moderator
13,690 Posts

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I'll be getting some more information together on this one before I list it up for sale for my friend.

I plan to get compression readings on all 4 cylinders, and then we'll see if we can get it running, too. I know of no powertrain issues with it - I think it was just stored in the garage a long time ago as a project his dad worked on as he had time.

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This 1900S is now listed in the Ads section. Asking for best offer over $1500.

·
1,875 Posts
I'm not too far away from Johnsburg and work takes me in that area sometimes. If anyone would like to know more about the car, let me know and I will see if I could take a look at it for you.

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 1900S is actually located in Wooddale, so that's probably closer for you, too. Just let me know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
my Opel was only $600 and I drove it home... :) 67,000 BOX A miles on a 3 owner car...

Just sayin :) Asconas just arent as cool as Mantas to me

·
Motorsports Enthusiast
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update. The car was brought back to life and is running. Didn't take all that much to wake it from its "slumber" :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts