Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gary why isn't listing at least your fist name, birthdate ect. required info to be able to freely post here?

GEE SORRY TO RUFFEL ANYONES FEATHERS, WASN'T MY INTENTION I WAS JUST CURIOUS. LET IT DIE ALREADY!!! WISH THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN THIS MANY POSTS WHEN I WANTED TO FIND OUT ABOUT MY FUEL INJECTIONS MODEL, TOOK 3 POSTS AND TWO MONTHS TO GET AN ANSWER! DON'T SEE WHY PEOPLE NEED TO HIDE THEIR IDENTITY IS ALL! I LIKE TO KNOW WHO IS GIVING ADVICE IS ALL. :eek:

Regards,
Rick

·
U-2 Driver
126 Posts
dude,
there are a lot of 16 year olds that know thier stuff, age has nothing to do with car knowledge. anyway, It would be funny if some 16 year old was the senior advisor. but hey, if he knows his stuff? my crew chiefs are all 18-19 years old, and they know the jet inside, and OUT! would not question them....on most days

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
A lot of people are very sensitive about posting personal info on web sites. Birthdates, addresses, etc. The only reason we ask for a zip code or location when registering is for a possible future map of members location.

Not aware that we have any "Senior Advisors" listed, but the content of the response and not the members age should be the factor in you deciding if you follow their advice or not. The number of posts is a good indicator of someones site contributions. Threads generally turn into discussions and debates around a topic. I'm sure if a response to a question was off base or there were alternative answers, members would respond.

We have several very knowledgable teens here. (greensmurf20 and Jordan come to mind first) They are willing to learn about fixing and modifying cars that are older than they are and also share that knowledge with others who are new to Opels. I know Jarred (GS20) has already rebuilt several motors and stripped several GT's and has helped out quite a few "older" members both with parts and advice. Just reading Jordans posts gives you a feel for his maturity level.

I'd say if you have concerns about any advice you receive, take that advice and do some research to see if it is valid.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Back in the Day (cold war)
we would fly 12 turn 10 turn 8 turn 2 (almost every day was 4 go's)

our wing flew 54,000 sorties in one year when i tell people that they call me a Lair

the A-10 was the king of sortie generation. i was at the first porker 500
500 Sorties in one day

i was older then most at 21 years old

my Jet 0179 flew 12 times in one day (during the porker 500) yep we knew our ****

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I started building high performance Opel motors at 14 so age is not the concern, knowledge is. Gary is right that some of the younger generation Opelers are showing great skill. You do have to look at who is giving the advice however. I also don't list birthday, zip code, or much else.

Of the generation less than half my age Jarod (smurf) and Aaron (gtmaster) do stand out. I've been at this for 27 years and new ideas are always a good thing. Don't dismiss somebody just by age. At 14 I built a 2.05 that would rock your world. Listening will tell you if it's worth the time, age doesn't matter.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
T-6 driver and Davegt27. Really way off topic, but I can remember stuff like that, we definately got some training, continously. I recall, after reading this thread, a joint excercise for 10 days, then being tasked the next day for operation "Sortie Surge" to see how many sorties could be flown by one Wing during combat operations in a week. We flew one month's scheduled sorties in one week during that ops. But it paled in comparison to actual combat ops. One site I'll never forget, is 96 smart bomber F-4s lined up from the ramp down the taxi-way to the end of the runway. They would taxi down to the 1500 foot marker 4 across, with 4 more at the 1000 foot marker and again at the 500 foot marker and then 8 afterburners on the ones at the furthest marker would roll, as they smoked on down the runway the next four would line up, then the next four and so on. At 15 second intervals, 4 at a time, until all 96 were airborne, loaded with smart bombs for delivery. En route to the target, each smart bomber would link up with a flight of 3-4 dumb bombers loaded with smart bombs. I would hate to be on the receiving end of those missions. Yeah, we knew our stuff, big time. And the training we got then carries over to our cars. Do it right the first time, correctly, by the book but first and foremost, safely.

Now to bring this back into perspective and on topic. I'm one of the older members on this site and I bow to expertise from the "youngsters" on this site. Stick around, read the threads, and you'll find out who knows their stuff about Opels. The teens referred to are good, they have to be to get their cars running and on the road. They've torn them down and built them back up, so they have expertise in the areas they had to fix. Sure, they had to learn just like the rest of us, but their memories are sharper and they can relate easier than some of us old fogies. Hey, if the info is good use it, I could care less about the age of who puts it out. JMTCW.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Gary, Dave, and T-6 Driver:

Its really a great feeling to see us younger members being noticed for our acomplishments. i think i speak for us all saying that. i agree in the sense that age really doesnt have much to do with post quality. yes, there are some pretty "ignorent" younger posters, but i think its very obvious with they way they write responses, and they usually dont stay around too long. most of the time if a member is unsure, they sit back and listen to in turn learn themselves.

really a good feeling to feel as you've done right and in some way beena help to the group, i know i've been helped many times on here.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think most of us younger guys are good at a certain area of cars, we just haven't had the time to learn all the little details that some of the older members seem to be experts on. For example, greensmurf knows his engines really well considering hes 16 from his bio. I wish I knew that much about engines, I only know the basics, but when it comes to body and frame work I can usually do the same quality work that professionals do, almost as fast, and from the looks of it thats what I'll be doing for a living since I'm probably starting OYAP (Ontario Youth Aprenticeship Program) through my school next year... after this year I'll have taken the 8 regular in school courses they offer...

sorry to ramble, but that "following any advice from some 16 year old" comment bothered me...

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
WISH THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN THIS MANY POSTS WHEN I WANTED TO FIND OUT ABOUT MY FUEL INJECTIONS MODEL, TOOK 3 POSTS AND TWO MONTHS TO GET AN ANSWER!

theres not many people on here with extensive knowlege of fuel injection, and even fewer with knowlege of fuel injection specific to opel. fuel injected opels is just real uncommon and is probably as hard to find answers for as it is to find parts for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts