Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
Let's say you have a locked Opel GT gas cap. Now, let's say you don't have a key for it.

Are you screwed? Do you make a call for the bucket of keys? Do you disassemble the filler neck? Do you pray?

Well, today while contemplating the plight of a local Opeler and her locked cap, I had a thought. There is a really easy way to remove a locked cap and, chances are, you probably have everything you need.

Tools you will need:
  • A hacksaw blade
  • A small gear puller
  • A piece of metal at least the thickness of a nickel

Here's what you do.

Break hacksaw blade in half

Font
Bend hacksaw blade in a circle

Auto part Brass Metal
Carefully work the hacksaw blade under the edge of the cap. You can pull up on the cap, or push down gently on the rear panel to get room to get the blade under the cap.
Also, make sure you have the teeth of the hack saw blade facing up, into the cap.

Cutting tool Machine Tool accessory Steel Metal
Now position the gear puller under the cap to catch the edge of the hack saw blade as pictured.
Use the piece of metal (such as a nickel) as a base for the center pin of the wheel puller. You want to protect the tumblers of the gas cap.

Helmet
Tighten the wheel puller just enough to get the hack saw blade to bite into the gas cap.
Gently turn the whole assembly counter clockwise to remove the cap.

The whole process took a couple minutes on the first attempt and was successful.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That is something to remember.
So what am I missing here (beyond the obvious?)? If you have a gear puller pulling against only the cap and nothing but the cap, how does this this get it off the filler neck without a key?

·
Senior Contributor
5,067 Posts
So what am I missing here (beyond the obvious?)? If you have a gear puller pulling against only the cap and nothing but the cap, how does this this get it off the filler neck without a key?
This method locks the upper part of the cap to the lower part of the cap so that when you turn the whole thing it comes off all in one piece instead of just the top rotating.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guys are sort of correct. I'm not really locking the top part to the lower part as much as I'm using the outer part for leverage that allows the saw blade to "bite" into the inner part. You could just rotate the saw blade but adding the cap rotation makes for a cleaner movement. The trick is to get the saw blade to bite. It's actually doing all the work.

·
Opeler
3,108 Posts
Excellent procedure to remove a stuck GT gas cap.
Note: Protect painted areas near filler cap with masking tape and/ or masking paper.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Opel gas caps arent to secure...:(
It took almost 40 years before there was a hack to remove the gas cap.
I think that's a pretty good run for being secure.

Reactions: opeldean

·
Registered
1 Posts
i do this thing to my gas cap and i broke it.
the lock are united to the top so the direction for open it it's the opposite.
i think that this tutorial are ****, thank to you i waste 50 euro ;)

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i do this thing to my gas cap and i broke it.
the lock are united to the top so the direction for open it it's the opposite.
i think that this tutorial are ****, thank to you i waste 50 euro ;)
I don't see how my method could have broke your gas cap.

Nice first post, bro.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anybody tried this method?
Ive just destroyed my contact recently without knowing i can make a key!
Nopw my fuel cap is also closed and no keys i would liek to save it as its original
ty

·
Opel Key Master
5,288 Posts
Anybody tried this method?
Ive just destroyed my contact recently without knowing i can make a key!
Nopw my fuel cap is also closed and no keys i would liek to save it as its original
ty
Is the cap still on the car in the locked position? If it is off and locked, a key can be made. Worse case on the 69 model you might be able to take the tube and cap out through the deck hole.

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
Remove the stop tail lights Lens and housingThen you will see the rubber filler tube and filler neck. To fuel tank i. see if you can remove the filler neck with gas cap attach.. then take the gas cap to qualified lock smith and have them make new key. And open lock... easiest way

You need a parts vendor supplier soon ..... I would try Opel GT Source
Or find the nearest one to ship to you.....your going to need new parts for that Monster

4,231 Posts
Remove the stop tail lights Lens and housingThen you will see the rubber filler tube and filler neck. To fuel tank i. see if you can remove the filler neck with gas cap attach.. then take the gas cap to qualified lock smith and have them make new key. And open lock... easiest way

You need a parts vendor supplier soon ..... I would try Opel GT Source
Or find the nearest one to ship to you.....your going to need new parts for that Monster
And a radio shop for missing Stereo:lmao:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is the cap still on the car in the locked position? If it is off and locked, a key can be made. Worse case on the 69 model you might be able to take the tube and cap out through the deck hole.
Cap is still on the car and loked!
Allready on the lookout for parts , would like to hear it run first to get an ideea on what exacly im missing and what i need replaced
Finding a stereo wont be hard i hope:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts