Opel GT Forum banner

Locked gas cap removal made easy (without damage)

7K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  70GTBarnfind 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Let's say you have a locked Opel GT gas cap. Now, let's say you don't have a key for it.

Are you screwed? Do you make a call for the bucket of keys? Do you disassemble the filler neck? Do you pray?

Well, today while contemplating the plight of a local Opeler and her locked cap, I had a thought. There is a really easy way to remove a locked cap and, chances are, you probably have everything you need.

Tools you will need:
  • A hacksaw blade
  • A small gear puller
  • A piece of metal at least the thickness of a nickel

Here's what you do.

Break hacksaw blade in half

Font

Bend hacksaw blade in a circle

Auto part Brass Metal

Carefully work the hacksaw blade under the edge of the cap. You can pull up on the cap, or push down gently on the rear panel to get room to get the blade under the cap.
Also, make sure you have the teeth of the hack saw blade facing up, into the cap.

Cutting tool Machine Tool accessory Steel Metal

Now position the gear puller under the cap to catch the edge of the hack saw blade as pictured.
Use the piece of metal (such as a nickel) as a base for the center pin of the wheel puller. You want to protect the tumblers of the gas cap.

Helmet

Tighten the wheel puller just enough to get the hack saw blade to bite into the gas cap.
Gently turn the whole assembly counter clockwise to remove the cap.

The whole process took a couple minutes on the first attempt and was successful.

See less See more
#4 ·
So what am I missing here (beyond the obvious?)? If you have a gear puller pulling against only the cap and nothing but the cap, how does this this get it off the filler neck without a key?

#7 ·
Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification!!!

#15 ·
I don't see how my method could have broke your gas cap.

Nice first post, bro.

#18 ·
Remove the stop tail lights Lens and housingThen you will see the rubber filler tube and filler neck. To fuel tank i. see if you can remove the filler neck with gas cap attach.. then take the gas cap to qualified lock smith and have them make new key. And open lock... easiest way

You need a parts vendor supplier soon ..... I would try Opel GT Source
Or find the nearest one to ship to you.....your going to need new parts for that Monster

#24 · (Edited)
Thank you guys
I used the '( """"") when calling it a trunk
I opened the red tail lights but did not saw others screws so thats why i tought i acces it true the spare's tire 'trunk'':)
I must of missed those 3 holding the housing
I will check again tomorow i did not knew they are under the gasket!
remember i owe a Gt for two days so please bear with me:)

#25 ·
I did not have a wheel puller and the cheap ones fm HFT looked like they were too thick to get underneath the gas cap. I used First Opel’s method but used drywall screws two small pcs plywood, a small piece of lumber 3 1/4” wide, two Simpson Stong Tie A35z metal clips from the Home Depot to get get under the hacksaw blade. It worked very well. I used a $12 brake spreader fm HFT, but in retrospect a big bolt with a large fender washer and nut would have worked just as well. Pics below. I cut a radius out of the A35 clips, but not entirely sure this is necessary, they had pretty good purchase with cutting them down.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.