Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '72 GT that is being restored, and I have a locked ignition cylinder (can't turn the steering wheel) and no key for the ignition. I got keys made for the doors, but they don't match. Is this something a locksmith should be able to help me with, or can I remove/replace the ignition cylinder? Any advice is appreciated!

Stephen

·
Vendor
2,977 Posts
I have a '72 GT that is being restored, and I have a locked ignition cylinder (can't turn the steering wheel) and no key for the ignition. I got keys made for the doors, but they don't match. Is this something a locksmith should be able to help me with, or can I remove/replace the ignition cylinder? Any advice is appreciated!

Stephen
You might want to look into the "Can of Keys" that circulates among the community here. I think Gene (BQS4) is still the keeper of the can, so you might want to DM him and see what's up. Others have had luck finding a working key for the ignition or gas cap. As you probably guessed, the doors and ignition should use the same key, so at some point one or both of the locks was replaced.
Good luck,
Ron in FL

·
1,782 Posts
It is possible to do what you want but you will need to disassemble the steering column. Not a bad idea anyway as it is a good idea to replace the ignition switch. Give me a pm and i will give you my phone number to talk about how it is done.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,873 Posts
I lost my keys once along time ago...a friend was a lock smith and I asked if he could make a key. he said no problem. So I showed up at the shop he worked at and asked me how I got there. Told him it was at work. He gave a me a look of consternation until I set the steering column on the counter. It was easier to pull that out (shear-lock bolts had long been replaced with regular bolts). Took him about 5 minutes to make a key. It was alot cheaper that way.

You can get blanks on Ebay, I think.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I also losed my key years ago and a talented lock smith managed to remove the barrel and make two keys for it... This was 15 years ago, been driving the car on the same two keys ever since

·
1,782 Posts
The problem with the GT has always been you need a key to turn the cylinder enough to depress the retaining pin that holds the cylinder in. you need the cylinder out to get the key code. As has been said here you may get around the problem in a couple of ways. Can O Keys may give you a workable key and a good locksmith may be able to cut one. Sometimes neither work an both take time. I found anther way around the problem. Taking apart the column to the point you can get to the cylinder sleeve and then using a dremel bit the diameter of the retaining pin to gouge out a channel in the sleeve that allows you to pull the cylinder out. This allows you to repair the sleeve with J B Weld and have a functioning sleeve when you get your key cut by opelspyder with the correct code. Some do this by drilling out the retaining pin which makes the cylinder useless. Here are a few pictures which may help.
20200521_140236.jpg
20200617_161848.jpg
20200617_162009.jpg
20200616_161324.jpg
GT Steering.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GREAT NEWS (and a little embarrassing)!! I sat in the GT for the past 5-10 minutes jiggling the keys I had made for the doors in the ignition cylinder, hoping for a miraculous unlocking. After several minutes of jiggling with varying directions of pressure, etc.....it unlocked!!! Though it was lubed already, something must have been sticking and is now free. The ignition cylinder turns with the door key. I worked it on/off several times and it is repeatable.

Thanks for everyone's advice, but it looks like I get to move on to the next challenge!

Stephen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts