Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the 2nd switch between the park light switch and the rehostat is locked? Was it ever working, and can it be made to work? Thanks, Jarrell

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
yes on us gts that one switch is a dumby its a kinda stupid design the way they made those switches because there jus one big piece all 3 switches in on housing, although if u do get a euro gt u can find one that has the fog light switch which is in place of that other dumby switch accross from the hazard light switch.

·
Driver
987 Posts
The earlier GT's had the fog light switch, it just did nothing. I put driving lights in my turn signal housings and used that switch w/a relay to activate the driving lights.
Details can be found at my web site.
http://www.opelgt.cc

Attachments

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used mine for the same thing (foglights). I was just wondering because in looking at Opel Gt, Suselbeek, theirs is listed as, light switch assembly,most often only available in US version (center switch fixed). I was interested as here could be another switch that could be used. Has anyone taken this assembly apart to see what makes it tick? Thanks, Jarrell

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well ive always wanted to have three switches in there so that i could hook it up to something, so if any one finds a way to put a switch in there that would be cool, i like the idea of using that extra switch down there for ur fog lights if u add them to ur gt but i also find it could be a very nice starter kill switch to keep are gt's from getting stolen just an idea.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
I was talking to OGTS about this switch. On some of the Cheaper models of the european GT, this switch was used to turn on the headlights. These models did not have the microswitches for the autoheadlights.

Heres how it worked. If you pushed the center button on, the headlights and parking lights would come on. If you pushed the parking light switch off, it would shut down the headlights and parking lights. If you pushed the headlight switch off, then only the headlights would turn off, leaving the parking lights on.

If you want this switch to work, you have to get the 3 rocker switch from europe since ours is a dummy switch with no contacts.

If anyone owns a 86-93 S-10 or S-10 blazer, it has a similiar setup on the operation described above.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks jlthunder, I was thinking about trying to use it as a kill switch as had been discussed in some of the other forums. At least now I know what it was originally for. Do you know on what years the Europen switch was used? Thanks, Jarrell

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
You can use the fog light switch as a kill switch(as seen in the photo from opelenvy).

You can call OGTS at 1-209-928-1110(info) or 1-800-673-5487(orders only) to see if they have any of the european switches for the headlights. I don't see how this headlight switch can be utilized as a kill switch because everytime you turn it on, the parking lights will go on and you will have to remember to turn off the parking lights every time you turn the car off. Your parking lights will always be on when you drive your car.

I would go with the "fog" light switch since it is alreay there and is available and won't cost you anything.

Just my 0.02:)

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
Here's an idea I saw in another magazine, years ago. A good idea for a "kill switch", especially if you don't smoke (well, I have yet to see a GT lighter work anyway) is to mount a push button switch in the cigarette lighter. That way you just hit the lighter and your ignition is shut off. You get back in the car, hit the lighter, and fire it up.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
"well, I have yet to see a GT lighter work anyway" origionally posted by Gene

I have, 69,XXX mile GT, all origional until dad repainted it and i put the 2.0 in it, and its got a working everything, cigarette lighter and clock included. almost wish it didnt work, it gives people the urge to smoke in my car, which isnt good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just out of interest, that BIG RED BUTTON in the middle of the switches ....... Whats it supposed to do?

It moves from side to side and my Rear Windows Demister Light turns on? Is it checking the Brake lights or something? (Left for Left and Right for Right).

Has anyone got a User Manual for the GT Switches? I've fallen into this trap before on another thread. (Getting confused about headlights and foglights)

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
In response to the "Big Red Button". It depends on the year of your GT.

If you have an automatic transmission GT, the red button doesn't do anything because the parking brake handle lights up the red indicator on the dash near the turnsignal indicators.

69-Mid 72 GTs If you have a manual transmission, the red button, when pushed(either way) lights up the red indicator on the dash near the turnsignal indicators. All it does is test the light for the brake failure light.

Mid 72(January 1792)-73, all transmissions, this button illuminates when the lights are on but doesn't do anything because the parking brake handle lights up the indicator on the dash.

This is from seeing different year GTs. If anyone has anything else to add or correct any of the above statements, please do. I'm always willing to learn more about these cars:)

·
Opeler
33 Posts
BQS4 said:
Here's an idea I saw in another magazine, years ago. A good idea for a "kill switch", especially if you don't smoke (well, I have yet to see a GT lighter work anyway) is to mount a push button switch in the cigarette lighter. That way you just hit the lighter and your ignition is shut off. You get back in the car, hit the lighter, and fire it up.
it's a great idea, and works well as either an ignition kill or a start kill... however, it's a PITA to get working well and not fall apart after a few uses... did it in a Honda Prelude once... had to cut lots of the tin away, took about 3 tries to get the wire to stay in (i used pressure to hold it in, could be soldered to stay better if need be)... if someone were to pull the lighter out of the socket, the wiring would come undone, and thus the car wouldn't be able to start...

was it worth the effort? sure... had a keyless ingiton and push button start that sat in a pocket below the radio, right about the lighter, so i had my hands in that area anyways... i do believe i did that more to show it off to car buddies than for the security it offered... still have a keyed kill switch next to the ignition (keyboard lock switch from an old 486 i had lying around) and a few other hidden switches just in case... i think i have a few pictures of the ignition around somewhere...

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
parts scavengers

soybean said:
Does anyone know why the 2nd switch between the park light switch and the rehostat is locked? Was it ever working, and can it be made to work? Thanks, Jarrell
The switch is mechanicly locked by a tab behind the rocker. The reason it is there is very simple, the switch assemblies were not origionally designed for the GT, they were parts scavenged from the Opel Admiral A, like mine, which actually uses that switch to turn on the headlights.

Just wanted to update.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Stephen, after that post I pulled one junker set apart, literally, and it will not work. Plus there's no way to put it back together. So that idea was shot. Jarrell

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
so we've concluded the dummy rocker can't be taken out and replaced with a real rocker? I'd like to set it up as my electric fuel pump switch.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
If you get a switch assembly from a GT/J(probably from europe), this dummy works the headlights. You would have to run the parking lights to activate this switch though as this switch also turns on the parking lights.

·
Opeler
1,768 Posts
If you get a switch assembly from a GT/J(probably from europe), this dummy works the headlights. You would have to run the parking lights to activate this switch though as this switch also turns on the parking lights.
So, the answer is yes, the dummy rocker can't be taken out and replaced with a working rocker as it is all one piece and disassembly=destruction (in all likelyhood).
A whole different switch assembly (from European GT/Js I assume) can be gotten where the dummy is a live switch though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.