Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Latest photos. Tomorrow we are checking bumper and marker lights fitments. The restorer is texting me progress pics weekly.

Attachments

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Parts car teardown, um why would there be tinfoil crumpled up under the fenders? No drugs found, yet.

Attachments

·
Opeler
1,395 Posts
Parts car teardown, um why would there be tinfoil crumpled up under the fenders? No drugs found, yet.
I guess that they were trying to patch some holes and keep the water out of the car, sorta like filling a tooth with a silver amalgam filling.

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
OK, up for grabs. 73 Opel GT shell. NW San Antonio TX. Going to the scrap yard if I don't find a home.
It belongs in the scrap yard, except for maybe the roof. Sad but true.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
OK, up for grabs. 73 Opel GT shell. NW San Antonio TX. Going to the scrap yard if I don't find a home.
It belongs in the scrap yard, except for maybe the roof. Sad but true.
I don't know, but the nose and front bellypan look OK in post #62 and the hood also appears to be useable? Does the pic make them look better than they actually are? Could you post a couple of extra pics? If they are OK to GOOD, I would be interested in the nose/belly pan and my wife's family lives in the area off Huebner & 1604. Would you cut any parts off?

Also, IIRC, Firstopel1981 was looking for the area behind the rear window but there are no pics of that area.

Thanks, Doug

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Unfortunately the bottom 12 inches of the car are not savable. It's a Minnesota car and the bottom half was encased in fiberglass. I salvaged everything I could and unless you have a need for the hood, roof or window frames, I suspect it is not worth anyone's efforts. The reason I even ask now is due to the public outcry when I first got the car and was debating restoration.

This may be a good subtopic to debate: When is a car too far gone to be considered for restoration?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Unfortunately the bottom 12 inches of the car <SNIP>

This may be a good subtopic to debate: When is a car too far gone to be considered for restoration?
Mike, Thanks for responding, the nose pan looks good in the pic, but I don't like fiberglass so ...! Now, to answer your question about "too far gone ...", a picture is worth 1000 words so you have already written a short story about this one! Well Done! :lmao:

Doug

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
A fellow Opeler just came and picked up the car. He needed the rear window frame which was one of the few parts that seems good. So, onward and upward. The body is due back from the restorer in just a few weeks. he is cleaning up the last of the body work which is the nose. I'm just a few blocks away but haven't seen it for a month or so. Pictures have been coming via text messages and he has a full photo album of the work as well that he is planning to hand to me once completed.

·
Opeler
1,124 Posts
When your wallet and your ambition are not enough to do the job. I have seen people "restore" a car that should have been crushed, and I have seen people crush cars that really should have been restored. It just seriously depends on each individuals wallet and dreams.

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Latest progress

Latest progress and we are getting excited. Seats came back from the upostery, body work done, primer and paint going on this week.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 99 Posts