Opel GT Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
No POR-15 used. All rusted metal was cut and replaced with good metal. Interior was painted a standard satin black and the engine bay was paint gloss black. the blue piping in the seats will match the primary exterior color of Opel Signal Blue.

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
And now paint and clear coats

Not quite done yet but almost there. Doors next, hood and top of fenders will be flat black.

Attachments

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Much better in the sun light

This morning I get these pics from the body shop

Attachments

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Ok, just need patience

My wife could spit nails right now. So, the dear wife and I are going to move north and everything is either shipped or packed in the cars. Last thing to do is load the GT and hit the road. It's not done and he wants 2 more hours. Aarrrggg. We are going on a year of it being in the shop. Yep, things happen and I am just at that oh well moment but not leaving without the car. Keeping wife happy and having the GT is a challenge sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That is a very, VERY, cool paint job!

Your paint job gets the......

Gordo, the Car & Driver Opel GT used the paint scheme back when the car was new: Message - Opel Photo Gallery

Please send them a Seal of Approval also! :lmao:

Doug

PS - There was a discussion about this car NOT being J. Edgar Opel, but I noticed that the first line of text above the title uses that designation. Perhaps I had a pic of another car from a C&D cover that was a GT project car, but not J. Edgar?

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Ok, so it's been a few years but I now have a deadline. Not much has been happening on the project since the last posts. I've torn down the front end and had everything powder coated, new bushings are in and i've been buying parts along the way. I am done with college classes till August and need to get this finished before I graduate in May 2021.
I know we are in "social distance" mode but if anyone wants to lend a hand this summer and is close to New Ulm, MN, I could really use the help. Jon, the son, is quite a distance away and has added to his own family so he isn't as available as he had been. Beverages and food are all I can offer. PM me.

15899166634675145028792287603292.jpg

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
Can see the famious OEM, arched front spring on your cart.
As long as one of those bicycles hanging over GT roof does not fall, you will be in great shape.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,088 Posts
Just to tempt you in case you want to paint some more black...

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
Mike that is a beautiful front end restore :) If I lived closer I would take you up on the offer. I love tinkering on Opel GT's and not worried about people contact :)

·
Opeler
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)
Mike that is a beautiful front end restore :) If I lived closer I would take you up on the offer. I love tinkering on Opel GT's and not worried about people contact :)
Thanks dpre. I am such an amateur at this. I have service manuals and OpelGT Source as provided great help. But I foolishly took things apart and got distracted and I am hoping to get the A arms on the correct sides. Also, the orginal bushings were disintegrating so I purchased the poly ones. However, I failed to safely put away the outer metal sleeves, which I removed before powder coated. I am missing one.

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
Those rims do look nice especially with that beautiful blue paint job :)

81 - 99 of 99 Posts