Opel GT Forum banner

Long awaited Father and Son project

17K views 111 replies 32 participants last post by  The Scifi Guy 
#1 ·
And so it begins. I just picked up a 73 GT project that was began by another member of the OpelGT.com family. First photo of it after coming off the trailer. more to follow

Attachments

See less See more
#61 ·
Latest photos. Tomorrow we are checking bumper and marker lights fitments. The restorer is texting me progress pics weekly.

Attachments

#62 ·
Parts car teardown, um why would there be tinfoil crumpled up under the fenders? No drugs found, yet.

Attachments

#70 ·
It belongs in the scrap yard, except for maybe the roof. Sad but true.

#72 ·
Unfortunately the bottom 12 inches of the car are not savable. It's a Minnesota car and the bottom half was encased in fiberglass. I salvaged everything I could and unless you have a need for the hood, roof or window frames, I suspect it is not worth anyone's efforts. The reason I even ask now is due to the public outcry when I first got the car and was debating restoration.

This may be a good subtopic to debate: When is a car too far gone to be considered for restoration?

Attachments

#73 ·
Unfortunately the bottom 12 inches of the car <SNIP>

This may be a good subtopic to debate: When is a car too far gone to be considered for restoration?
Mike, Thanks for responding, the nose pan looks good in the pic, but I don't like fiberglass so ...! Now, to answer your question about "too far gone ...", a picture is worth 1000 words so you have already written a short story about this one! Well Done! :lmao:

Doug

#76 ·
A fellow Opeler just came and picked up the car. He needed the rear window frame which was one of the few parts that seems good. So, onward and upward. The body is due back from the restorer in just a few weeks. he is cleaning up the last of the body work which is the nose. I'm just a few blocks away but haven't seen it for a month or so. Pictures have been coming via text messages and he has a full photo album of the work as well that he is planning to hand to me once completed.

#79 ·
Latest progress

Latest progress and we are getting excited. Seats came back from the upostery, body work done, primer and paint going on this week.

Attachments

#81 ·
No POR-15 used. All rusted metal was cut and replaced with good metal. Interior was painted a standard satin black and the engine bay was paint gloss black. the blue piping in the seats will match the primary exterior color of Opel Signal Blue.

#83 ·
And now paint and clear coats

Not quite done yet but almost there. Doors next, hood and top of fenders will be flat black.

Attachments

#84 ·
Much better in the sun light

This morning I get these pics from the body shop

Attachments

#85 ·
Ok, just need patience

My wife could spit nails right now. So, the dear wife and I are going to move north and everything is either shipped or packed in the cars. Last thing to do is load the GT and hit the road. It's not done and he wants 2 more hours. Aarrrggg. We are going on a year of it being in the shop. Yep, things happen and I am just at that oh well moment but not leaving without the car. Keeping wife happy and having the GT is a challenge sometimes.

Attachments

#88 ·
That is a very, VERY, cool paint job!

Your paint job gets the......

Gordo, the Car & Driver Opel GT used the paint scheme back when the car was new: Message - Opel Photo Gallery

Please send them a Seal of Approval also! :lmao:

Doug

PS - There was a discussion about this car NOT being J. Edgar Opel, but I noticed that the first line of text above the title uses that designation. Perhaps I had a pic of another car from a C&D cover that was a GT project car, but not J. Edgar?

#89 ·
Ok, so it's been a few years but I now have a deadline. Not much has been happening on the project since the last posts. I've torn down the front end and had everything powder coated, new bushings are in and i've been buying parts along the way. I am done with college classes till August and need to get this finished before I graduate in May 2021.
I know we are in "social distance" mode but if anyone wants to lend a hand this summer and is close to New Ulm, MN, I could really use the help. Jon, the son, is quite a distance away and has added to his own family so he isn't as available as he had been. Beverages and food are all I can offer. PM me.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automobile repair shop Opel gt

#94 · (Edited)
Thanks dpre. I am such an amateur at this. I have service manuals and OpelGT Source as provided great help. But I foolishly took things apart and got distracted and I am hoping to get the A arms on the correct sides. Also, the orginal bushings were disintegrating so I purchased the poly ones. However, I failed to safely put away the outer metal sleeves, which I removed before powder coated. I am missing one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.