Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long block costs

So I am getting a GT soon. I would like to attempt a rebuild myself but how much is everyone paying for a rebuilt 1.9 long block? I notice gtsouce doesnt actually quote a price.

Also are there any online rebuilding informational sources?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Give Opels Unlimted a call, Todd at opels unlimted often has some good deals. He will sell a used motor plus he warentys it. He may also get you a price on a rebuilt on.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
If I were you I would attempt the rebuild. Opel engines are pretty simple to work on. If you do it yourself, you will be very familiar with the most important component of your car. If something ever goes bad, you will know what and where it is.
Just my opinion

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Rebuild engine yourself!

First opel 1981 said:
If I were you I would attempt the rebuild. Opel engines are pretty simple to work on. If you do it yourself, you will be very familiar with the most important component of your car. If something ever goes bad, you will know what and where it is.
Just my opinion
AMEN! Suggested the same thing to Steve G. about a year and a half ago and he couldn't have been happier that he did. One of the most straight-forward engines you can work on, once you get past the timing quirk.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hmmm...

I'm about to embark upon the, "timing quirk" tonight, as last night I finished my head rebuild, and got it on the block. Got the timing cover, oil pan, oil pump back together. Also, I don't believe that I saw an article requiring 3 hands to remount an oil pan (It took my 2 and a borrowed one).:confused:

I begged my wife to help me drop the head on the block last night. Her response, "Uh...No? That thing is heavy," as I daftly, err. deftly maneuvered the head over the block with my hands underneath. Then, ever so gently letting the head smash my hands betwixt itself and the block, before sliding them from between the two pieces of metal. :mad: I don't remember it being quite so difficult to remove? It seems to have gained weight.

Now I'm reading insightfully stimulating literature on timing the Opel 1.9. Torquing, lifting, turning, stabbing...It sounds more like broadsword sparring movements in a Cateran Society discussion. :D

Even better, I get to time the engine with a new carb, with new jets from Racetep. I hope it is jetted OK. Then it goes to the muffler shop to weld-up my Monza piecemeal exhaust.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
AH! That's what I like about this place. "Backyard mechanics" and shop stories! The pinched fingers, the "I dropped the F----G thing on my foot!" and "oil in my eye". Ya gotta love :D !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts