Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
I heard a long time ago that Opel CIH engines held the record for longest lasting engine of it's class. 450,000 miles without a rebuild wasn't unheard of.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
A very informative article! A bit slanted towards the European makes however. I was surprised none of the Honda or Toyota engines particularly the 22r didn’t make this list. The 6 cylinder in my 98’ Ford Ranger ain’t bad either. Great information on the CIH, I didn’t realize it was used in so many other makes 😏

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Am I mistaken, or by "Longest Lived" does the article only focus on how long an engine was used in a platform, not how long the engines themselves lasted? I.E. They're mentioning on every engine the dates they were in production and how many years they lasted there.
Good point. That went completely over my head 🙃

·
Opeler
756 Posts
Am I mistaken, or by "Longest Lived" does the article only focus on how long an engine was used in a platform, not how long the engines themselves lasted? I.E. They're mentioning on every engine the dates they were in production and how many years they lasted there.
That was my thought at first, too. I have heard that the Fiat DOHC engine used in the 124 series is one of the longest production runs. Also, you have to mention the VW air cooled 4 cylinders.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
Longest lived platform? V8 engines started in the 50's and are still being made.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,940 Posts
That was my thought at first, too. I have heard that the Fiat DOHC engine used in the 124 series is one of the longest production runs. Also, you have to mention the VW air cooled 4 cylinders.
If you go thru the entire slide show, the VW is THE longest lived (meaning production) motor, almost 70 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts