Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there- Hoping to find a cheap 4.30 ratio 1.1 differential for the Opile race car. I have a housing so to save on shipping I could just take the pinion and gear carrier. On a tight Lemons budget sadly...

·
Opel Key Master
5,026 Posts
A Opel 1.1 with Automatic came in 1969-1970, according to parts manuals. The rear differential is the same for all 1.1 Kadetts with Automatic. The only gear ration for a 1.1 is a 4:11. The parts book does not state anything else. I have a NOS ring gear set for a 1.1 if that helps

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I'll search German ebay and see if I can get a gear set cheap. The new parts are tempting but would end up being nearly $500 shipped.

I also notice they mention a 1.1 LOCKING diff. I wonder if any of those exist?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Never heard of a locker for the ohv axle, but there was a ZF clutch type LSD available. Today almost as rare as hens teeth, just like the 4,62:1 gears.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An LSD would be a big help for this car! Any thoughts on where to look for one? I'm sure they cost a fortune.

·
Registered
698 Posts
An LSD would be a big help for this car! Any thoughts on where to look for one? I'm sure they cost a fortune.
If I knew I would have bought one myself for our Vauxhall Chevette.:) Jokes aside, German, Dutch or UK ebay comes to mind, but they are rare so it can take a long time for one to pop up. Then there is the problem with rebuilding as I believe the parts are not interchangeable with the CIH axle. It is probably easier and cheaper to use an axle from a 1,9 Rallye or GT and swap in 4,22:1 or 4,30:1 gears. A -71 and up non C-clip axle too, because of the availability of LSD's is much greater for it than the C-clip axle. The 4,22:1 or 4,30:1 gears are not cheap though, and neither are the LSD's. The gears were used in Ascona/Manta B's with the 13S engine . Or the 4,22:1 gears from an Opel Rekord can be used, but the pinion must be modified because it's a bit shorter than the pinion from a torque tube model. Rekords with the 4,22:1 gears were built in large numbers so the gears are more common and cheaper than the Ascona/Manta B 13S ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts