Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy my first Opel GT and thought this would be a good place to get advice. If these questions sound dumb please excuse me - I'm new to this!

I'm looking at an early 70's GT, automatic, supposedly fully restored. Can you guys give me any pointers as to what I should pay for a properly restored car? It's not meant to be a show winner, but looks to be in really good condition.

I'm writing from Ireland and I've never seen one here in the flesh. Can you tell me if there is any storage behind the seats? From the look of the car at the rear there's no trunk (or I may have missed it).

Also from a reliability point of view, would you say the GT is a fragile car by reputation? I'll regularly have to do runs of 30 miles round trip, maybe 4-5 times a week and was wondering if the car is better suited to being a weekend thing?

Also, is the automatic necessarily the right choice? I'm used to stick-shift and might find the auto a bit boring???? Lastly, I'm about 6'5''. Is the cabin small compared to other cars or do you think I'll fit ok?

Hope the above questions aren't too stupid, but not having seen one before I can't really answer for myself. If anyone out there want's to give me a some advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys,
Barry

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Welcome to the Community

Nice to hear from the Green Island.

I would recommend first take a look thru some of the postings. I know everyone says it but there are some good discusions on the size of the GT and how much it will fit as well as the relyability.

First, you are correct the GT does not have a trunk (boot), however there is quit a large area behind the driver and passenger seats for storage as well as were the spare tire is located. Unless you have to move your house or you have kids there is enough space for luggage for 2 folks for a couple of weeks.

Second, as far as your height in the GT you should be OK. I have seen folks a tall as 6 foot 5 in the GT with no trouble.

Next, I would recommend going with the manual transmission (more fun) and better gas economy.

As far as relyiablity... that is a little hard to answer.. the GT has a very strong engine and transmission, the carburetor and the electrical is a different story. The reason is because the carburetor is 30+ year old technology and the electrical wiring falling apart from age.

As far as a daily driver, the GT can do it, as long as you do the normal maintance on the car (Points, plugs, oil). My brother would run his GT to and from school for 4 years (30 miles) with only one time it needed to be towed back home for some work (That was because it was very cold, -10 F).

Now for a restored GT in good running order with good wiring and carburetor with a body that is not full of rust holes, you can expect to pay from $2,000 to $10,000 USD. When looking for a GT, I would recommend taking a little magnet with you to check for bondo. GT have a very hard trouble with rust. If you can find one with little rust, consider your self lucky.

Good luck.

By the way what part of Ireland are you in. I have visit once and made some friends there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Dublin. If you're ever over I'll buy you a Guinness! :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Sounds like a deal

izzard said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Dublin. If you're ever over I'll buy you a Guinness! :D
I am up for that!! :D I got hooked on them when I was over there. I always have some in the refrigerator, but they are never as good as those I had in Dublin.

When you do get the GT and it is in good running order, one of the first things I would look into as far as an upgrade would be to put a 5 speed in. They are readily available in europe but not here in the states.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey Barry!
My first GT was a daily driver and the only trouble I ever had, as Rick inferred, was with the electrical system. Otherwise it was relatively trouble free.
My husband is 6'4" and has no trouble driving the car. Take a look at the foot wells and you'll see just how deep they go. Rather amazing for such a small car. I actually have to install some sort of extension on the seat runners to drive mine being 5'1". Just watch your head getting in and out. :D

(Going to visit the 'ancestral' home in Scotland one day and plan on seeing Ireland too. May drop you a line one day if you have some pointers on places to go. Looks absolutely beautiful there.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts