Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a 1969 Opel GT, and I guess i was so exited about it I didn't thoroughly check the condition of it. The motor, and interior as well as the drivetrain is in good shape, but the problem is the floorpans/rocker panels, as they are pretty badly rusted on the sides :( , in fact one of the trailing arm brackets is almost rusted through :eek: . So I was thinking if anybody knew of a GT with less rust, around Southern Ohio/ Northern Kentucky/ Indiana, I would be greatly apprciative. Anyway thanks for the warm welcome to this site.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Rust NEVER Sleeps!

Most GTs come with rust - it is not an option - as they all have it to a greater or lesser extent. Thirty years on salted winter roads does that to cars.
Rust far worse has been repaired but a better GT body is a nicer option if you can find one. Look at it this way - you don't have to go searching for all the good bits you have on the one you got. Every GT owner, sooner or later, needs a "parts car" so you are already ahead of the game!
There is a nice GT out there waiting for you - somewhere - so do not dispair. And you know what to look for now.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
ayeropelgt said:
Hello, I recently purchased a 1969 Opel GT, and I guess i was so exited about it I didn't thoroughly check the condition of it. The motor, and interior as well as the drivetrain is in good shape, but the problem is the floorpans/rocker panels, as they are pretty badly rusted on the sides :( , in fact one of the trailing arm brackets is almost rusted through :eek: . So I was thinking if anybody knew of a GT with less rust, around Southern Ohio/ Northern Kentucky/ Indiana, I would be greatly apprciative. Anyway thanks for the warm welcome to this site.
Ayer,
That does not sound to bad for an Ohio car. If the car is still driveable I would work fix the trailing arm brackets ASAP! As far as the floorpans/rocker panels those are pretty standard for rusting out and there are replacement parts from various sources (OGTS is one that comes to mind). It sounds like you have a great start (better than what I have, your is driveable mine is not). I would repair what you have and keep truckin :D JM2cents

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help

Well yesterday, I had my friend and his dad( who is a mechanic) come look at the car, he said the rust should be repairable as the structural bits are mostly there, so I will just start working on it. And on an extremely happy note we got the car running, and the only thing wrong with the motor is that it appears the fuel pump is leaking a little. But We all got to drive it around a parking lot a bit, and it is a fun car. So now I know it runs I am going to start on the sheet metal :) :D Man this is going to be an experience
BTW thanks for the help!

·
Opel Addicts
2,480 Posts
fuel pump

New fuel pump available at Advance Auto part #6932. $30.00. Just put one one this week.

Vickie

p.s. If you are still looking for another GT, check out Nobody's post on Colorado group buy.

·
1,227 Posts
The rust in your GT sounds almost identical to what I found with my 1970. It was also an Ohio car. If the rear control arm bracket is rusted that bad, chances are the floor is rotted out above it. I have photos of my cars damage and the repairs. Let me know if they would be of help to you.

·
Greenopelgt
350 Posts
Slick7272

If you want help here in Cincinnati with your Opel GT feel free to contact me on my cell phone 513-236-5005.

Tom Adkins
1969 Opel GT now with 17,062 original mile
Heading for the Standards of Excellence judging in Carlisle, PA
Leaving Wednesday morning May 18th

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.