Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,707 Posts
I found a scrap piece of 1/2" thick steel plate at work and cut it to approximately 16"x30" to support various rolling cantilever jacks. It fits in between my runways on the channels on the inside edge of my runways, where the wheels of the expensive rolling jacks that come with these lifts roll. It's stiff enough to not even bend when a jack on it is elevating the car.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
With a 10’ ceiling and 4 post lift there would be no need to spend extra for higher clearance and the vertical lift will be tight or limited. Measure carefully. It could be that the suggestion for a Max Jack and working from a stool would be the way to go if you can’t stand under the car. Maybe cheaper too. If you live in an area of mild weather a lot of 2 and 4 post lifts can be installed outdoors if you have room and a slab.

·
Opel Key Master
5,337 Posts
Gordo, I just sold that Blue GT in your picture for the third time, how did you get it…lol.
To the OP, you can get a 4 post with the casters, and then you can roll it to either side of your garage, so there is some benefit to that, you don’t anchor those down. That’s the one thing I like about them. I move them all around in the shop when reorganizing

·
Registered
597 Posts
I can fit 3 GT's in my garage if I turn one sideways.

View attachment 438688

I guess you could get also three in if you just get a good running start with each one. Might have to hit the third one in the back end with a truck to get them all tucked in tight so you can close the door.

I did a boat load of work in a garage smaller than that a few years back.

·
1971 GT
638 Posts
A picture of the MaxJax in action. I really like the lift and it fits under the GT with no issues and I have a lowering spring up front. Looks like you have plenty of room for a permanent installation though, so maybe the portability isn't a big deal

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
'73 GT
43 Posts
The ten foot ceiling takes a top plate two post off the table (or the floor).
Most are 11 foot plus.
I have never used a bottom plate two post, but dislike the idea of stumbling around on the bottom plate. Plus, it may make it impossible to use a transmission jack.

It was never an issue with the symmetrical Bendpak my buddy had in our old shop space. The bottom plate was around 1" to 1½" thick and about 6" wide. The ceiling was 9'11".

·
Registered
'73 GT
43 Posts
A picture of the MaxJax in action. I really like the lift and it fits under the GT with no issues and I have a lowering spring up front. Looks like you have plenty of room for a permanent installation though, so maybe the portability isn't a big deal
You can do like Nigel of Engineered To Slide in NZ does and use them to put a vehicle on high stands to stack store and set the lift up in more than one location in the garage.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,806 Posts
Have you considered a portable lift? BendPak makes these low rise lifts you put under the car between the wheels. They are portable but would make it possible to roll under a car. You can store these lifts by hanging them on a wall.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
867 Posts
I purchased a two-post lift from ATLAS Supply in Indianapolis when I added on to my garage. The garage has a 12' ceiling with 6' heavily insulated walls and ceiling. When we did the excavating we laid out the plan for where the lift would be situated and poured 2' x 2' pads with an extra 4" of concrete. After the curing process several friends and I carefully laid out the plan on the concrete for the lift. When we drilled the holes for the anchors we drilled all the way through the concrete so if need be, we could always pound the anchors into the ground below as I understand they are almost impossible to remove.
The lift is a 9000 lb rascal which has done all I have ever asked of it. It has safety features which lock the feet in position and at height. I paid around $2000 for the lift and necessary hardware for the install. It has proven to be the very best tool I ever purchased. I am too damned old to crawl underneath cars any more!
Wow, Love your garage, well organized -clean - lots and lots of of room - great lighting and a lift that I have always dreamed of, a yellow GT is always a plus, is that Chartreuse by chance. Maybe I will be so lucky in my next life. The only thing missing, that I can see, is the KEG. NICE......

·
Registered
415 Posts
No, it is Chrome Yellow. Next to the lift, the nicest "tool" is the heater hanging in the upper corner. Last winter the cost to heat this section of my garage was under $220. I go out and crank it to 70, wait about 20-30 minutes and go back out in a T-shirt! It gets COLD here in Michigan, but I no longer tinker in a cold environment. Makes winter projects very comfortable and fun. You just don't see the Jack Daniels under the bench.......or maybe that is kept down in the pool room.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,707 Posts
At work we could call those metal plates "cable troughs". They're used when power, other wiring, and sometimes hydraulics needed to be routed across a walkway or something. You can run them overhead or across the floor. Ones on the floor can create tripping hazards or interfere with rolling equipment. Charles Goin discovered this a few weeks ago using his 2 post lift, when he was dropping a friend's GT engine and tranny out the bottom onto a dolly, as I had suggested to him. Previously he was doing it the out the top method. He said that the cable trough got in the way of the dolly.

·
Opeler
1,547 Posts
When it comes to lifts, I have the best of all worlds. I don't own one, but have a good friend who has a two-post that I can use whenever I need, within reason.

It has the trough on the floor, but I have never noticed it being a hinderance except when pushing a non-running car over it by hand. It only sticks up about an inch or so. The only transmission that I ever pulled using it was a transaxle, in order to remove the fuel tank for refurbishing. I used his hydraulic roll-around transmission jack shown in the background of the picture and the floor cross-piece never interfered, but I can see where dropping a front-mounted transmission might be a different story. However, the son of my friend rebuilds older Suburbans and has rebuilt numerous Turbo-Hydromatics using the same setup, without incident.

I used it to completely go through a car that had been stored for 7-8 years, entire fuel system, new struts, ball joints, tie rods, CV joints, brakes, hydraulic clutch, engine seals, timing and balance shaft belts, water pump, PS rack replacement, etc. I think that it would have been so much harder to do all of this on a four post lift because the drive on ramps would have been in the way of so much that I had to do! With the two post everything is right in your face!
JMTCW
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
There’s no doubt that accessibility is better with a two post lift but I’ve done dozens of front end repairs and rebuilds (ball joints, idler arms, tie rod ends, springs, shocks, struts, center links, steering racks, spindles, kingpins, brakes, etc) on a 4 post Hunter alignment rack and it’s rolling jack with no memories of difficulty due to the runways. Now banging my head on the runways, and that nightmarishly difficult Audi 100 are a different story.

·
Registered
'73 GT
43 Posts
what are the bottom plate (and top plate) used for anyways ?

was the bottom plate a problem ??
Hydraulic line and equalizing cables(so both sides raise at the same rate).

Only issue is when rolling a car by hand, you need to get some momentum (think rolling a car up on to 2x8s) and when you're under the car on a stool, you sometimes forget about it and roll into it, possibly tipping over, lol. Otherwise it was a non-issue.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts