Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking for a good, used, and inexpensive Opel GT exhaust manifold in the San Francisco Bay Area. I removed mine from my '73 Opel GT to replace the gasket and found that it had cracked severely at the front most bolt connection. I'm in the Burlingame area and can come pickup anywhere in the area.
Thanks.
Igor

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Igor;
Are you looking for the "sprint" type manifold, or the one that bolts to the intake manifold as well as the cylinder head?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi BQS4. I have the stock one which bolts on to the intake manifold as well. I guess I'm looking for this one unless there is an easy way to close the hole on the intake manifold to install the "spint" type. If it's an easy and quick modification, then the "spint" exhaust manifold would be fine.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Hi BQS4. I have the stock one which bolts on to the intake manifold as well. I guess I'm looking for this one unless there is an easy way to close the hole on the intake manifold to install the "spint" type. If it's an easy and quick modification, then the "spint" exhaust manifold would be fine.
Thanks.
Igor;
The sprint is just as easy as putting your original on, except for bolting the intake manifold to it. But, the sprint manifolds are getting expensive. If no one else offers up a stock manifold, I should have one here for the price of shipping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Great! Thanks for the explanation and offer. I'm going to wait a couple of days and see if I can find a stock exhaust manifold near me. If not I'll take you up on the offer. Thanks!
Igor

·
2,054 Posts
Manifold Questions

I'm over in Vallejo and will probably have the stock exhaust manifold available for you soon. I'm looking to install either the sprint manifold, or purchase the new header from OGTS.

Got some questions for folks:
1. Will installing a sprint manifold require adjusting the length of the down-pipe?
2. Will installing the header require adjusting the length of the down-pipe?
3. Is the header tuned properly for a street car with some performance mods?
4. Does the sprint manifold perform better across the rpm ranges.

My engine follows one of RallyBob's designs for a 2.0 upgrade including the larger exhaust pipes, street tourqer cam shaft, 2.0 oversized valves, high compression 2.0 pistons, and the 36/32 Weber.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Got some questions for folks:
1. Will installing a sprint manifold require adjusting the length of the down-pipe?
2. Will installing the header require adjusting the length of the down-pipe?
3. Is the header tuned properly for a street car with some performance mods?
4. Does the sprint manifold perform better across the rpm ranges.

My engine follows one of RallyBob's designs for a 2.0 upgrade including the larger exhaust pipes, street tourqer cam shaft, 2.0 oversized valves, high compression 2.0 pistons, and the 36/32 Weber.
#1 No, it fit's right back in place, just does not have the section that bolts up under the carb'ed intake.
#2 yes, you'll have to cut the head pipe back to where the 2 down tubes merge into one and weld on a collector.
#3 I don't know the specifics of Gil's header, you'll have to talk to Gil.
#4 there is no "drastic" change in performance, just smooths out the flow of the exhaust, since the part to the intake manifold is gone. The main thing about the Sprint is it's cast iron, not welded metal tubes.

·
2,054 Posts
Thank you BSQ4 - your info was very helpful.

Igor - We spoke yesterday on Neil's phone.
I have a stock exhaust manifold in good condition for you. I removed it from the engine block this afternoon, but it remains attached to my exhaust down pipe with those six pain-in-the-ass bolts take require jacking the car up and climbing underneath to access.

As I mentioned, I'm in Vallejo. I work from home, but need to work on a project tomorrow. If you want the manifold by tomorrow evening you may end up assisting with those last six bolts.

If you prefer to drive over Tuesday, I should have it out of the car and waiting for you.

There is no charge for the manifold.

I will send you a personal message on this forum with my contact information.

Keith

·
Opeler
71 Posts
Exhaust Manifolds

Hi,

We have a great deal of Exhaust Manifolds available, we can get you something starting at $45, not cracked and can ship to your door UPS. We have been doing this 28 years and will be glad to help you with all your Opel needs. Please call us at 909-355-OPEL(6735) or email us at [email protected] ALso, you might enjoy checking out our website at opelsunl.com

Take Care and Happy Opeling,
Debbie, Todd and Tammy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts