Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather bought an Opel when he was stationed in Germany sometime in the 60s and had it shipped to the states when he came home. It's in rough shape and needs restoration for sure. I'm wondering if anyone could help with a year make model etc. Is there a market for something like this?
Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

Plant Wood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Steering part Steering wheel

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Can Opeler
4,096 Posts
It looks like a 1967 Kadett. There is a market, however, it's small. It's a little rough. Did the tree go through it?
Not a 67. They had gill coupes (Kiemen coupe) a bit longer in Europe. This one is sport coupe Rallye from between 1968 and 1970.

The market is very very small or non existent.
It’s worth around $400-$800 depending on the rust level for the whole car.

The parts on the car sold separately are worth thousands though lol.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I would say it is a -68 or newer judging by the tail lights. It is a Kadett B coupe of the earlier kiemen(called so because of the "gills" in the c -post) type. The stripes and the steering wheel suggests it is a Rallye, which was the performance model.

·
Opel Key Master
5,529 Posts
I’m going to go on a limb here and still say this is a 1967 Kadett Rallye. But the interior dash pad is the one thing I’m not 100% sure of.
so it’s a Rallye, it has all the goodies to prove that. Badging, steering wheel (67-68) only, fog lights, gauge cluster pulled off to the left.
Now I know a few are going to be quick and state the taillights are 68, but not so
This is a 1967-1/2 model possibly. Which would have the newer lights, it would have no rear leaf springs and been a trailering arm/pan hard bar setup.
The one thing I’m not sure of is the interior dash, yet…but will confirm in parts books
I’m not 100% about what could be brought into this country back in the days, but as far as I’m aware, they had to be US Spec. Like the 71 Kadett that was on BAT, it had all the USA lenses and fender lights. A GT I have here, same way, it has reflective rear side marker lights.
This Kadett has clear front marker lights where European would be amber in color. I’ll see after further study, but I feel he might not have been able to buy a 1968 Kiemencoupe that was not a US spec car without it being a big deal.

·
Opel Key Master
5,529 Posts
Irrelevant to the car, but it looks to have a 66 owners manual on the seat, but no Rallye in 66 for US
Rectangle Font Packaging and labeling Tints and shades Wood

The car is pretty rough, these fenders were especially bad to rust out, and it’s probably going to be cost prohibitive to restore it. It would have been a good one to restore though, as some things about the later Kadett B Rallye 67-1/2- 1970 are easier to get. Also the reason I don’t think this is a 68, is in 1968 at least here in the US, a Rallye model would have gotten a 1.5 CIH engine as standard equipment, the 1.1SR was not available this year, and a 1.1 was standard for all other models. A Rallye would have been the 1.1SR with dual carbs, which this one is a 1.1, so still telling me it’s a 1967-1/2 model.
Also looks to have US turn signals in the front

not thousands of dollars in parts, but if parted out, the obvious Rallye only parts that are bolt on are valuable, the rear glass is always good to hold on to, and the plain Rallye wheels. They are like a 71-72 GT with no center cap clips. I’m always picking those up. The dual carb setup and linkage is nice to have.
I wonder if the engine is in it? Doesn’t look like the transmission is. You can open the hood on those from the outside, but there is a hood pull inside if it’s been changed over too

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Date of manufacture and model year are two different things. Since the model year changed in August, it is always possible that the car was built in -67 while being of model year -68. My -67 Commodore had originally a similar steering wheel as the pictured car.

·
Opel Key Master
5,529 Posts
It’s not about manufacture year, we actually got a Kadett that was labeled as a 1967-1/2. A simple parts book shows this. Kind of like a 1970-1/2 Camaro. They still produced some 69 bodied cars until the tooling was able to start the intended model
As far as I know the USA models become new models in September, but Opel went calendar year to Calender year. But I still had a 1970 GT built in 10/69 and it was white/red interior so it was a 70 model only option

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
In Europe Rallyes either had the 11SR, 12S or the 19S and some special order cars even could be had with the 19HL Sprint engine. I don't know if any Kiemens were built with the Sprint engine, but I suspect that they were all F coupes. The 15S was an export special for USA and the Nordic countries, but not available in Germany.

·
Opel Key Master
5,529 Posts
Okay, so after some quick research, I can state that this car would be a 1967-1/2 model with those lights and that interior dash. All USA lighting, and here is a NOS dash pad I have for the later interior Kadett B
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Tread
When looking up this part number in the earlier parts books, it is what was equipped in 1967-1/2 models.
Font Material property Paper Document Pattern

For some reason back in the day, it was said that only the 67-1/2 models were Rallyes. I’m not sure where that started, might have been from me at the time…lol. That is just the significance of when the major changes happened to the suspension and the interior ventilation system on these cars, and was enough to designate it as a half year model. Unlike the GT where in between 70-71 you had a lot of suspensionchanges, engine changes, the Kadett received lots of internal sheetmetal changes, and the same parts for the same year model and wouldn’t work

·
Opel Key Master
5,529 Posts
Gordy's Kadett was a 67 in Bamboo Yellow, which is one point why you cannot solely trust sales guides and manuals. In the 1967 Opel Selling Manual, it states the Rallye in 67 only came in silver and red. Gordy's car was a Rallye, and I later verified that there was indeed another Bamboo Yellow Rallye, as I bought the car...and could tell it was an original setup. This car is silver, and I only wish it was in better shape.

·
Über Genius
10,021 Posts
Back in the day, tail lights had the year of manufacture on them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts