Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all fellow Opelers!! I am looking for my old 1973 Opel GT. It was Opel chrome yellow, black interior, automatic transmission and at one time, had air conditioning. It had the air conditioner console still in the car but the air compressor had been removed. The right fender well area, right under the air cleaner assembly had been hammered in when someone in the South Florida dealership installed the air conditioning compressor when it was new. I purchased the car in Tallahassee with 23,000 miles on it in 1976. I sold the car to someone in Ormond Beach Florida in January of 1979, can't remember who. The Vin number was OY07NC3100980 (I'm pretty sure this was the VIN) and the build date was 12/72. I would love to purchase and restore this car if you have it. PLEASE contact me if you do, I sincerely do appreciate it.
Terry.

·
1,640 Posts
If you have not already done so run the vin thru DMV. If it is registered and plated they should be able to tell you. I went thru this years ago with my old GT, No luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have not already done so run the vin thru DMV. If it is registered and plated they should be able to tell you. I went thru this years ago with my old GT, No luck.

THANKS!!! I sincerely do appreciate the advice. It's just that I am sick of seeing ads on the computer for "Check VIN for free", what a joke. Every site I've hit says "Incomplete VIN, must be 17 characters long and manufactured after 1980", well, that ain't happening. Looks like I may have to just drive down to the local DMV office and talk to them. OH well, maybe one day I might get lucky. :) Thanks again!!! Terry.

·
1,640 Posts
If you come up dry in FLA. it is possible to make the same request in surrounding states. They all have different requirements, so it takes time and a few bucks. Once again, been there done that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you come up dry in FLA. it is possible to make the same request in surrounding states. They all have different requirements, so it takes time and a few bucks. Once again, been there done that.
Greetings and good morning. Thanks for the suggestion, I will certainly keep looking for it. Hope you have a super weekend!!
Terry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I did some more digging this weekend and this is the response I am getting:
"The VIN entered is 13 digits long. If your vehicle is a classic car, RV or specialty vehicle, this may be correct. However, no records are available from participating DMVs. If your VIN is for a vehicle produced after 1981 it should have exactly 17 digits. Sorry, no records are available for this VIN"
Looks like I have hit a dead end. :-(
Terry.[/QUOTE]

·
1,640 Posts
Well, I did some more digging this weekend and this is the response I am getting:
"The VIN entered is 13 digits long. If your vehicle is a classic car, RV or specialty vehicle, this may be correct. However, no records are available from participating DMVs. If your VIN is for a vehicle produced after 1981 it should have exactly 17 digits. Sorry, no records are available for this VIN"
Looks like I have hit a dead end. :-(
Terry.
[/QUOTE]

Your post seems to indicate you are not contacting the DMV directly. Those records may need to be looked up by a human. You need to find out who that human is. In my case to get my VIN I found an old photo of my GT with the plate number. DMV was then able to track down those old records to give me the vin. To see if that vin was still registered took more interaction at DMV. If I had gotten a hit I would then have needed to have the new owners permission to release that info. In some other states I needed to talk with a human sometimes to get their procedures to look into older records. As I said earlier this takes time and Money. If it has been crushed or has been in a barn unregistered for the last 15-25 years you are out of luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your post seems to indicate you are not contacting the DMV directly. Those records may need to be looked up by a human. You need to find out who that human is. In my case to get my VIN I found an old photo of my GT with the plate number. DMV was then able to track down those old records to give me the vin. To see if that vin was still registered took more interaction at DMV. If I had gotten a hit I would then have needed to have the new owners permission to release that info. In some other states I needed to talk with a human sometimes to get their procedures to look into older records. As I said earlier this takes time and Money. If it has been crushed or has been in a barn unregistered for the last 15-25 years you are out of luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.
Terry.

·
Opeler
1,374 Posts
Why do quotes some times show up as different fonts than responses and sometimes show up as the same font? Is this another site issue?
I think that generally if the response is executed properly, the post that is being responded to shows up in italic font enclosed in a blue-shaded box to identify it as the original post. The reply to that post generally shows up below the original post in some straight conventional font.

The aberrations occur when the person replying types his reply inside of the
markers surrounding the original post or erases the original post but leaves one or both of the
markers with his reply. In that case the original post and the reply both show up in regular font and are hard to distinguish from each other since they are commingled together.

Did I make any sense? Is this correct?

·
1,182 Posts
I think that generally if the response is executed properly, the post that is being responded to shows up in italic font enclosed in a blue-shaded box to identify it as the original post. The reply to that post generally shows up below the original post in some straight conventional font.

The aberrations occur when the person replying types his reply inside of the
markers surrounding the original post or erases the original post but leaves one or both of the
markers with his reply. In that case the original post and the reply both show up in regular font and are hard to distinguish from each other since they are commingled together.

Did I make any sense? Is this correct?
Makes sense. When it works correctly it’s much easier to follow.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Why do quotes some times show up as different fonts than responses and sometimes show up as the same font? Is this another site issue?
Only because a couple people messed up their quoting tags. What you're seeing isn't the quotes working differently, it's them not working at all.

To open a quote you say "quote" inside square brackets. To close a quote you say "/quote" in square brackets.

If you open a quote where you accidentally closed it right away, and then try to close it again later, it doesn't know what to do and never quotes the section you want. That's what happened above. Someone edited a quote but left a second closing tag.

For example in your last post, you oepn a quote, open a second quote, and close neither of them. So it doesn't know what to do and just shows the quote syntax.

·
1,182 Posts
Only because a couple people messed up their quoting tags. What you're seeing isn't the quotes working differently, it's them not working at all.

To open a quote you say "quote" inside square brackets. To close a quote you say "/quote" in square brackets.

If you open a quote where you accidentally closed it right away, and then try to close it again later, it doesn't know what to do and never quotes the section you want. That's what happened above. Someone edited a quote but left a second closing tag.

For example in your last post, you oepn a quote, open a second quote, and close neither of them. So it doesn't know what to do and just shows the quote syntax.
I see that quote halfway down the body of the original post. I have no idea what I did that caused it to jump up there.

Looks like this one worked correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts