Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 GT with A/C. It has the dealer installed ARA system. I am wondering what was the original air cleaner arrangement. My car has the A/C compressor located on the passenger side of the engine. On a non A/C GT, this is where the air cleaner box sits. The car has always had a Weber with an air cleaner right on top of the carburetor. Is this original for an A/C car? Did the dealers here in the US change out the Solex’s or was that always done by the owners? Any help?????

·
Opeler
1,435 Posts
Iggy,
The ARA kit was set up to use the stock solex carb, stock carb cover and stock air cleaner.

The kit included a bracket to bolt down inside of the belly pan and then the stock air cleaner was bolted to this bracket. The snorkel on the air cleaner was aimed toward the grill opening. There was a template furnished to locate the holes to be drilled in the belly pan.

The stock air cleaner down in the belly pan was connected to the carb cover via a ~4-5" diameter, spiral- wound wire reinforced, rubberized fabric hose and fastened with clamps on both ends. The hose went through the hole in the bulkhead on the passenger side of the radiator. It was about 5' long, very similar to the under-dash defroster hoses, and was furnished in the kit.

The stock accordian- fold, rubber connector hose between the carb and air cleaner was disposed of since it was no longer needed.

The stock air cleaner mount on the inner fender had to be cut off to make room for the behemoth York compressor that came in the kit and this is why the air cleaner had to be relocated in the nose of the car.

I have no pictures of it, since I put on a Weber and replaced theYork compressor with a Sanden508 many years ago. I bought the ARA kit new and installed it myself in the car and you don't easily forget an experience like that. It was like working on a watch with that York compressor in there. No room to do anything!
HTH
Bob

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
IIRC. ARA located the York compressor in two different locations on the GT's. Some were up high and other down low both on the passenger side.
I believe pics of both are posted in the forums if you search. Not sure about the air cleaners tho.
I believe Tom King has an ARA on his GT and it has the high mounting position for the compressor. Iirc.

·
tomking
2,474 Posts
No Mark I dont have AC in the GT. I have AC in the Manta. I will have to take another look but I think the compressor is down low in the Manta?? But no pics online.

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
Sorry Tom. Guess it's someone else's yellow GT. Not good to depend on my memory alone since I'm easily confussed.:no:
Your post #53 had me thinking you were referring to your yellow GT not your Manta since the conversation up to there delt with only GT's.
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/group-9-accessories-radio-heater-c-sound-systems/6028-automatic-w-dealer-c-3.html

Btw. Here is the pic I was thinking of: Post #16
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/group-9-accessories-radio-heater-c-sound-systems/18445-gt-w-factory-ac-pictures.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts