Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I put a 4-speed into my (previously) automatic Manta this weekend and had a few things come up that I'm not 100% on the answer to. I'm hoping someone here could snap some pictures of their car or just give me some details so i can finish the job!

• I installed the clutch cable using the firewall mount from a donor car, but I don't know how the factory attached the cable to the body as it routes down to the bellhousing. Can someone take a picture of how the factory secured the cable to the body/framerails on the way down there?
  • I had a donor Manta pedalbox for the 4-speed, but it was missing the spring that puts tension on the pressure plate. Does anyone have an extra of these springs they would sell, or if not, could someone get some measurements on the size/length of this spring so I can size a replacement one?
  • I was able to remove the center plate that adapts the automatic shifter and the linkage pops out nicely in the center, but the hole is rectangular, and I believe the factory 4-speed cars have a circular plate welded in this spot? Does anyone have a good picture of the transmission tunnel without the console installed so I can get an idea of what I should fab up to get the stock boot to work?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
574 Posts
There are however a couple of insulators about 2/3 of the way down the cable. Should become self evident when it is reassembled.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok this is perfect, thank you! The insulators on the cable are what made me think some sort of clip wrapped around those to mount to the chassis, so thanks for confirming that. As for the transmission tunnel, that's a perfect picture! What screws down into those 4 sheet metal screw clips? I know the console screws down into the nylon ones, but not sure what the sheet metal ones do. Is there some sort of insert that goes in place that holds the upper shift boot in place and seals the tunnel?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting! So I pulled my transmission for this swap from a GT, and that lower boot has snaps that connect around the linkage but otherwise wasn't attached to the body. Are you saying that on the manta, the boot actually goes to these four screw bosses and seals the cab from the tunnel?

Also would you happen to have a picture or size idea of the spring on the clutch pedal in the car? Thank you so much for the help!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I need to stick my head up under the dash anyway to disconnect the brake pedal. I'll take another picture and if I have time today I'll look through all the spares out in the shed. I know there is a pedal set out there.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
A four speed trans will sure improve the fun factor over an automatic!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have the correct Manta shifter for you. Mine is being converted Getrag 5spd. I think it's supposed to be further back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the correct Manta shifter for you. Mine is being converted Getrag 5spd. I think it's supposed to be further back.
I think in this picture it's shifted into third which is why it looks forward. I did replace the shift tower from the GT one to a Manta-specific one, so it seems to be in the correct spot in the tunnel, just gotta find a shift boot.

·
Senior Contributor
1,644 Posts
Hey Dusty One , Welcome Dude
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper Automotive exterior
dude,, Does...this. Could this help at all Manta 4-Speed Set up??

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
... I pulled my transmission for this swap from a GT...
As an FYI, the Manta/Ascona bellhousing is QUITE different than the GT bellhousing, in that the clutch fork is a different angle. See the attached photo. The blue bellhousing is from a GT, the black is from an Ascona

Also, the shifter mechanism for the GT has an angle to compensate for the 11 degree engine tilt.

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As an FYI, the Manta/Ascona bellhousing is QUITE different than the GT bellhousing, in that the clutch fork is a different angle. See the attached photo. The blue bellhousing is from a GT, the black is from an Ascona

Also, the shifter mechanism for the GT has an angle to compensate for the 11 degree engine tilt.

HTH
Hey Keith,

Yep, I was able to get all the Manta-specific parts I needed to convert over including the bell housing, shift tower, shifter, etc. Everything is all installed and working great, just missing this rubber shift insulator and the spring under the dash!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts