Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - does anyone know of any ads that are still available? I’ve gone thru dozens and can’t seem to find any.
Of course I have $ limits and preferences and must be a stable driver....but I’ll start with is there any still avail?

everyone on the forum seems to be an excellent source and very friendly so I’m hoping someone can help me find my 1st Opel! Not sure if I should post my cell# or not - but here is my email, [email protected]

sincere thank you in advance!!

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Welcome to the site.
There are always GTs available. I just checked eBay and saw saw 7 listed auctions. There are also a few currently for sale on this site. How much are you looking to spend? Are you willing to ship a car? Do you want a project? Finished car? Something in between? Stock? Modified? There are folks here that can probably help you track down a car but it starts with understanding what it is that you are looking for.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ron! Thanks for the reply! I initially have only been looking on sites for sale by owner/dealer, due to the thought of a better integrity deal..then I came across this site and really liked a lot of the cars that I ended up finding out where sold already.

so I’m not looking for perfection, and definitely not a full project. I would love to get one that the body is pretty solid, interior is acceptable and is a runner to start with. I’m not into modifying these as I think their incredibly beautiful looking cars.
I was hoping to find something between $5-9k (maybe a little more if it justifies)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and as for shipping - I’m looking for one domestically, and would prefer to drive it back to Pittsburgh or if necessary ship.

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
I think you are in the right ballpark money-wise for the type of car you described. If you are patient, you can probably find a good solid body GT driver in that price range. Where to look? Well, start here. GT owners will occasionally list their cars for sale on this site and Opels that are being sold or auctioned elsewhere will often be discussed here too. Keep an eye on eBay and other classic car auction sites. Bring a Trailer has sold some nice ones recently. Here is a list with prices so you can get a feel for the going market. Cars show up on Facebook too. Check out the Opel CIH Marketplace group. Aggregator sites like Trovit usually have a bunch of GTs, but the ads tend to be not very current. At the least, they can give you some ideas about prices (asking). I find it useful to look at eBay for completed auctions to see the actual sale prices. Others here can probably add to my list, but my advice is to be patient, see the car in person if possible (preferably with a GT owner or former owner) and seek feedback from the group if you are unsure.
Good luck with your search!
Ron in FL

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
There's a forum member in Delaware trying to sell a blue '72 GT for $1k. I think for that GT, for $1k... you could sink the rest of your budget starting a restoration. I know you said you don't want a full project but at least for me, a full project is the reason to get into a car like this. When it's done, you'll know the exact condition of the car and have the pride of doing most if not all the work yourself. Classic cars are not complex vehicles. Most of the challenge is just having enough time to do the work yourself. Between this forum, YouTube, the factory service manuals, and the Opel specific parts suppliers... there are plenty of resources to help with the other challenging parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you! Please give me all your thoughts as I have read many of them on other threads - and all the different perspectives are priceless to noobs like me
Ps - I’m pretty mechanically inclined and have rebuilt a couple of engines and worked on old cars growing up - so this is definitally not out of the question...as long as it’s the right start....any thoughts on how much you would guess it would cost to complete? Ballpark?

·
Registered
455 Posts
If I were in the market for another GT, AND if I could stand a purple GT (I can't) I would strongly consider the 70 for sale in Fort Worth.

It is only a few hours from me. I don't like purple cars (at least this one is a bit muted) and I STILL keep giving it a look. Already has a boat load of the upgrades that many of us would want: slightly stronger engine, upgraded flywheel and clutch, lowering spring in the front, getrag 5 speed. And it comes with a bunch more parts many of us would want, like sway bars.

You would spend a lot of money just doing all the upgrades to get where this car already is. Assuming the body work was done right (and it appears to be) that rear spoiler treatment is one of the few non stock rear spoiler treatments that looks really good. As Gordo put it; droolworthy.

Seller seems like a stand up guy and has provided what looks like a really honest descriptions. Frankly, if I hadn't promised my wife I would sell one of the current herd before buying another, I would probably be negotiating right now. I think he offered it on this site for $11k before listing on ebay. Anyone want to buy a cherry AMG SL55? I hardly ever drive it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll take a look at that one / what are your thoughts on this one?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Personally, I would not be interested in an auto trans GT. But, to each his own.

Same car as listed here on ebay: 1973 Opel GT | eBay

Same pics, and both are in Michigan. Strangely, the ad on ebay is for $10,900 and the one at GR is $7200. Interior is listed as leather, but clearly it is not leather. Driver's seat has two large tears in it.

What part of the country are you in?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
If you're willing to take on a project, this one could be a good one. It's not too far from you. Strato blue is a very pretty color, so you could restore this GT to stay strato blue. Most of the car seems to be there. The only real concern would be how much rust does it have? Getting more photos of key areas, like the rocker panels and floor boards, before going to see it in person would be a good idea.

At least for me, I dread the idea of buying a classic car and then just driving it after relatively minor inspections. I'd rather take the car down to bare metal and rebuild it, just the way I want it. New wiring, rebuilt engine, etc. Nothing left untouched. So, the vehicle winds up about as new as can be. I'll have more confidence that it should be reliable and nothing is going to wear out due to old age. This is why I don't mind my GT just sitting in my garage right now. It's going to be a long project and that's where a ton of fun is. I'm working on collecting parts to rebuild a 2.4L CIH at the moment and getting pretty close to having everything I need for it.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,974 Posts

I like this car! It seems to be a fairly unmolested oem car. Yellow is the best GT color and I prefer the automatics for the heavy traffic area where I live. The price seems fair.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I like this car! It seems to be a fairly unmolested oem car. Yellow is the best GT color and I prefer the automatics for the heavy traffic area where I live. The price seems fair.
PLEASE everybody knows fire glow orange is the right color for these majestic creatures

Reactions: Howell05

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
Silver and red is definitely the best.

Even if there is terrible vermilion over the Silver and the red is slowly turning purplish.

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts

There are a lot more pics of the yellow auto GT on the dealer's website. I give them credit for some closeups of the problem areas. Expect to do some body work on this car, but overall, a pretty complete looking GT. The auto trans can be reversed to a 4 speed manual if that is a must have, but it may make more sense to look for a 3-pedal car to start.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,381 Posts
Gizmo, as you can tell we definitely banter on this site over fun topics like which color is the best. You're not far from Carlisle, which holds the Import and Performance Nationals meet every year. A lot of Opels usually attend and I think this year it will be the spot for the rescheduled Manta 50th Anni. I recommend you go to it (May 14-15) and meet some of the Opelers. When the GT's 50th Anni was held in Jean, Nevada (just outside of Las Vegas) I took a road trip to attend. It was great to meet some of these folks, like Gordo who reminds me of a mad scientist. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahaha! Love it! I hope to soon be able to join in on the banter!
Seriously a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for chiming in and adding your thoughts - as a soon to be owner, it’s invaluable and I welcome any and all feedback!...even if your car is yellow 😜. Lol j/k keep up the comments!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts