Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@Autoholic
Thank you! Being new to this realm I’m sure there is a lot going on that I do t have a clue about - and that meetup sounds awesome and will definitally plan on attending! Aren’t there any car/part swaps that Yinz know about?

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,395 Posts
There is a flea market at Carlisle in April. I don't know if there will be any Opel venders there. There is a Facebook group called Opel CIH Marketplace where you can find stuff. There are also other Facebook groups like Opel GT, Opel Owners USA, Alt-Opel US, and For the Love of Opel & Chrome.

Some large Opel parts companies are Opel GT Source, Splendid Parts, Opel-GT-Teile, Edelschmiede, Oldtimer-Ersatzteile24, and ENEM. There are also Suselbeek and Opels Unlimited, however both of these companies are a PITA to buy from, so they have a bad reputation because of that.

We do have several members who are Opel knowledgebases and also Opel librarians. Bob Legere (Rally Bob) is our engine junky, Keith Lundholm is an Opel restorer and runs New Vintage Auto and has a scary library of Opel stuff (OpelSpyder), Kyler Norman (Knorm65) is probably our most avid autocross member and has some Opel library stuff, Charles Goin (Goin Manta) has been a source for 2.2L & 2.4L CIH engines (they came later) and Getrag 240 5 speeds, and I've been working on my own library and collection of Opel stuff that I have yet to really share with everyone. Oh... and I can't forget to introduce Gordon Payton who, besides looking like an mad scientist, is our oddball, crazy Opel mods guy. His GTs have always had their own flavor of the month. Stock to him, is followed by market portfolio and is not a word used to describe his cars. He keeps things lively around here. :) I know I'm forgetting some of the other regulars, like Manta Rallier who has done a lot of spirited beating on his Opels over the years.

·
Administrator
10,146 Posts
Gizmo, as you can tell we definitely banter on this site over fun topics like which color is the best. You're not far from Carlisle, which holds the Import and Performance Nationals meet every year. A lot of Opels usually attend and I think this year it will be the spot for the rescheduled Manta 50th Anni. I recommend you go to it (May 14-15) and meet some of the Opelers. When the GT's 50th Anni was held in Jean, Nevada (just outside of Las Vegas) I took a road trip to attend. It was great to meet some of these folks, like Gordo who reminds me of a mad scientist. :)
Hahaha! Love it! I hope to soon be able to join in on the banter!
Seriously a BIG THANK YOU to all of you for chiming in and adding your thoughts - as a soon to be owner, it’s invaluable and I welcome any and all feedback!...even if your car is yellow 😜. Lol j/k keep up the comments!
There usually is a caravan of Opels that travel from Ohio to Carlisle each year.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If I were in the market for another GT, AND if I could stand a purple GT (I can't) I would strongly consider the 70 for sale in Fort Worth.

It is only a few hours from me. I don't like purple cars (at least this one is a bit muted) and I STILL keep giving it a look. Already has a boat load of the upgrades that many of us would want: slightly stronger engine, upgraded flywheel and clutch, lowering spring in the front, getrag 5 speed. And it comes with a bunch more parts many of us would want, like sway bars.

You would spend a lot of money just doing all the upgrades to get where this car already is. Assuming the body work was done right (and it appears to be) that rear spoiler treatment is one of the few non stock rear spoiler treatments that looks really good. As Gordo put it; droolworthy.
Overall, a nice looking and specced-out GT. But....... that rear end Gordo Goop Body Putty Rear Spoilered Special would kinda worry me.

Worry as in is it hiding something underneath....like a fender bendy?

Why go to make a fancy C3 Corvette style rear faired-in lip spoiler and completely bypass the other patented GT customization cues like adding the Lenk Side Skirts and GT California front air dam to complete and complement the Shark Corvette rear tail exaggerations? The seller goes to great lengths in detailing what he did with his car with the one exception being that rear kamm tail customization job. Sorry, I'm just a wee bit pessimistic. Mind you, it looks really good. And although I love the side skirts and front air dams, I still have reservations about the long term viability of that epoxy/steel/Goop interface between fiberglass piece and steel body; when added into the mix freeze and thaw cycles of our 4 seasons.

That thousand dollar blue GT in Delaware is about a 5 hour drive, give or take, from Pittsburgh and is worth a look in person. As long as the OP educates himself first hand about where to look for terminal, deal-breaking body rust on these cars, before he sets out to look that car over, it just might be worth that trip.

Personally, I'd plan on having it or any other GT, towed back home. Especially at this time of the year, with the weather being wha it is.

·
Administrator
10,146 Posts
There is a flea market at Carlisle in April. I don't know if there will be any Opel venders there. There is a Facebook group called Opel CIH Marketplace where you can find stuff. There are also other Facebook groups like Opel GT, Opel Owners USA, Alt-Opel US, and For the Love of Opel & Chrome.

Some large Opel parts companies are Opel GT Source, Splendid Parts, Opel-GT-Teile, Edelschmiede, Oldtimer-Ersatzteile24, and ENEM. There are also Suselbeek and Opels Unlimited, however both of these companies are a PITA to buy from, so they have a bad reputation because of that.

We do have several members who are Opel knowledgebases and also Opel librarians. Bob Legere (Rally Bob) is our engine junky, Keith Lundholm is an Opel restorer and runs New Vintage Auto and has a scary library of Opel stuff (OpelSpyder), Kyler Norman (Knorm65) is probably our most avid autocross member and has some Opel library stuff, Charles Goin (Goin Manta) has been a source for 2.2L & 2.4L CIH engines (they came later) and Getrag 240 5 speeds, and I've been working on my own library and collection of Opel stuff that I have yet to really share with everyone. Oh... and I can't forget to introduce Gordon Payton who, besides looking like an mad scientist, is our oddball, crazy Opel mods guy. His GTs have always had their own flavor of the month. Stock to him, is followed by market portfolio and is not a word used to describe his cars. He keeps things lively around here. :) I know I'm forgetting some of the other regulars, like Manta Rallier who has done a lot of spirited beating on his Opels over the years.
I have been to the Spring and Fall Carlisle Swap Meets and found no Opel parts there.
Here is a link to various Opel vendor sites: Link-list - Classicopels.com - Alt-Opel.US
We also have a large library of Opel doc scans, etc.: Opel File Sharing Index - Classicopels.com - Alt-Opel.US

·
Registered
729 Posts
thank you! Please give me all your thoughts as I have read many of them on other threads - and all the different perspectives are priceless to noobs like me
Ps - I’m pretty mechanically inclined and have rebuilt a couple of engines and worked on old cars growing up - so this is definitally not out of the question...as long as it’s the right start....any thoughts on how much you would guess it would cost to complete? Ballpark?
Cost? Depends on a number of variables. Do you weld? I do not, and my finish bodywork skills are such that I generally farm these items out. The car I received five years ago, that had been sitting in a garage for fifteen, required 434.5 billed hours to put into roadworthy condition. Do the math. The difficulty with these cars was that the seams were not well sealed, so that dirt and water got in behind the wheels and in the rocker panels, as well as up around the wheel wells. That, coupled with the fact that rustproofing technology then was near-nil, resulted in significant rust damage that began from the inside, working out -- when you saw the rust, it was too late. Add to the fact that these are unitized bodies (no frame), the hidden rust is also attacking structural members.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,395 Posts
My personal mentality on a project car is if it requires a skill you don't know yet, time to do homework and learn what you can. And we live in an age where there is a boat load of info right at your fingertips if you're willing to learn it. Then start doing it. If you need something to practice on, go grab some random parts from a junk yard. I'd rather learn how to do the job myself than to pay someone else a crap ton of money to do it for me.

This is definitely not a mentality for everyone. Unless the task requires some crazy expensive tools (like engine machining work), I'd rather not farm out that job. Know what you're willing to learn how to tackle. This is a mentality that will keep costs down though. I've got time (I'm only 31) and I don't nearly have as much money as my tastes desire. I want a jaw dropping restored GT without the jaw dropping cost that would go with it, if someone else did it for me. :cool:

A resource I find very helpful is the Classic Car Restoration Club. Tons of knowledge at that site, beyond what you can find on YouTube which is another great resource.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Autoholic makes a great point here no your limits or give it a shot trying the worst that can happen is you screw something up and then AND ONLY then do you pay someone to do what may be out of your capabilities. My son and I have done things with our Opel that we never thought we could do. We had to buy a couple misc tools or sacrifice a tool we had to work for somethings but with the help of those here we have so far been very successful. If things aren't going your way today put the tools down tomorrow is always a new day.
Were even going to repaint one of our trucks here very soon and I'm not talking rattle cans the real deal I don't know if I would have ever had the confidents had I not gotten the opel and the support here.
HHUUUMMM METALIC PATRIOT BLUE PEARL THAT'S another awesome color

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
482 Posts
Gizmo , I agree with Autoholic - I too believe in doing it yourself for a number of reasons - the challenge of doing something you have never done and the reward of pulling it off - the cost factor is a major consideration and most of the projects are detailed on the forum so a lot of the projects are pretty straight forward, with the available information. The projects also require the ability to research the job and have the patience to see it through, that has been a hard one for me as I want everything done today. Currently I am sanding and polishing my wheels and will soon clear coat them - the amount of hours that I have spent on this project is unreal and it is not easy work but I have the time and found the knowledge on line and I have got to tell you they are looking really good. To me, doing it myself really makes it my car and I know this car pretty well not as well as many others on this forum but you do develop a knowledge base that you will continue to refer to as the years pass as you will learn to do some things just because you end up doing them more than once. I have dropped the steering column a half dozen times and don't really enjoy that job but I know exactly how to do it, now.
If you pick a car that has been restored to some degree you will in almost all cases get your monies worth as generally speaking you are paying for the car, its condition, and the parts that have been installed by the previous owner. That seems to be the way it works. I purchased my GT in 1972 for 2000.00 a 70 model and drove it pretty hard until around 1982ish. I have thousands of hours in the restoration and around18,000.00 not counting the initial investment of 2000. The car only has around 3000 miles since I installed all of those parts so I would be expecting around 20,000.00 for my car if it were up for sale as it is almost a new car. So find one that has received a lot of work and not a lot of miles and you will have a good foundation for either a daily driver or something to continue the restoration with and you will be just fine. Good luck with your search........Carl

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,395 Posts
I hope Gizmo doesn't think we're pressuring him into building his own holy grail of a GT, although if my thoughts on the issue of projects does help Gizmo pursue that I won't feel bad about that either. If I was in PA, I'd go buy that $1k strato blue GT that a member here has for sale. But my objectives for a GT are to strip it down to bare metal and do a complete restoration, including painting the car myself. I want a GT that could win awards. My inspiration is Singer, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Totem Automobili, and MZR Roadsports. I'm after an almost unobtainable benchmark, a level of perfection that many would say is toxic. So, I might not be the best person to listen to when buying a GT :ROFLMAO:

·
Vendor
2,846 Posts
I hope Gizmo doesn't think we're pressuring him into building his own holy grail of a GT, although if my thoughts on the issue of projects does help Gizmo pursue that I won't feel bad about that either. If I was in PA, I'd go buy that $1k strato blue GT that a member here has for sale. But my objectives for a GT are to strip it down to bare metal and do a complete restoration, including painting the car myself. I want a GT that could win awards. My inspiration is Singer, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Totem Automobili, and MZR Roadsports. I'm after an almost unobtainable benchmark, a level of perfection that many would say is toxic. So, I might not be the best person to listen to when buying a GT :ROFLMAO:
Well, it all depends on what you like to do with your time, I suppose. To me, driving is the fun part, and the rest is simply a means to an end. It generally makes sense to buy the most complete car you can afford, since the previous owner probably has sunk more into it than they are getting in return. The OP seemed to have a good budget and pretty clear idea of what he was looking for. I think he should stick with that plan unless he wants to invest hundreds of hours (and thousands of dollars) restoring a car that he can't drive. Again, if that is what floats your boat, then go for it. I would personally rather start with a good driver, and fuss with it at my leisure to make it even better.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
So - where can I see what the differences are between the ‘70 - ‘73’s? Is there a matrix or a site that breaks down what the specs would be? Also, are there any emission changes on the engines after ‘71?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts