Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a VIN #93 1.1L GT

Please reach out to me if you have an original 1.1L GT.

Thanks!

·
Pedal Smasher
2,108 Posts
Dave, that could be an interesting 1.1L to restore. The tag has JJ 751. 520-JJ Rallye Red was only offered in '69 on model 93's in the US. On European GT's, JJ was for 508 Cardinal Red, which was known as Flame Red here in the states. 751 was for the common black luxury interior. European model 93's and GT/J's had 451, which was a black, basic interior which the US never saw.

The interesting thing about Opels from this time, you could recreate the cowl tag with whatever codes you want and as long as the combo was possible, who could prove otherwise? You'd need records from Opel to try and validate anything related to a VIN and I don't believe those records can be accessed easily, sadly. It would be awesome if someone built a database that held old Opel records.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Dave, that could be an interesting 1.1L to restore. The tag has JJ 751. 520-JJ Rallye Red was only offered in '69 on model 93's in the US. On European GT's, JJ was for 508 Cardinal Red, which was known as Flame Red here in the states. 751 was for the common black luxury interior. European model 93's and GT/J's had 451, which was a black, basic interior which the US never saw.

The interesting thing about Opels from this time, you could recreate the cowl tag with whatever codes you want and as long as the combo was possible, who could prove otherwise? You'd need records from Opel to try and validate anything related to a VIN and I don't believe those records can be accessed easily, sadly. It would be awesome if someone built a database that held old Opel records.
Hey thanks for that info Joseph. I wondered why the interior was fancier that most GTs I’ve seen!

·
Pedal Smasher
2,108 Posts
Norbert can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that is from the factory. I think that was done by a prior owner. 751 is the typical black interior you see on 1.9 GT's here in the US. It is the luxury interior, because Europe had a basic interior for the GT. I guess GM / Buick / Opel made the decision to not put the basic interior (451) on any US spec GT's, probably because most GT's would wind up going with the luxury interior if the basic interior was made standard. Looking at how few 1.1 GT's were sold in the US, that assumption was correct about the US market. People could have ordered a 1.1 GT in the US but didn't really want it, so money at this level must not have been a serious concern.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts