Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost bought an Opel when I was 17, but like most of us at 17 I did not have the money and time to devote to getting that car on the road.

Fast-forward several years (lets just say I am almost to my 2nd 17th birthday) I currently have an 1964 VW Karrman Ghia that I race and have decided to sell so that I can now get an Opel to restore. Someone informed me of this one located in Zanesville, OH.

Opel Pics

Luckily it comes with enough parts to put this one and possible another one together and still have parts left over. Just wanted your thoughts on my possible project car. I know that this would not be a 6 month project but I think the car has a lot of potential.

Thanks

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
nice ghia, my friends dad has a marron ghia, forgot the year, really nice....
anyway.....the body looks like its ready for paint, but the bad thing about that is, you can't really see how bad the body was when it was started on. you said your getting more than enough parts, so i'm assuming motor, trans, interior, glass, doors/hood is there, i guess it'd depend on how nice the body really is under the primer, condition of all your parts too. just keep in mind that your ghia, by the looks, and if its a racer, is probably worth just as much if not more than most any GT around. they're not expensive cars, and you should have money left over from selling your ghia to put one together, and get it together nicely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car comes with I believe three engines, two 1.1L and one 1.9L as well as a 1.9L rear end. The previous owner bought another Opel just for a non-cracked steering wheel and another for a non-cracked dash. Then replaced them with cracked ones and sold the cars. Three sets of seats, all the glass and a couple of sets of door panels.

The Ghia is on Ebay right now:

Ghia Ebay Auction

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
you'll probably end up using the 1.9 for the more power and cheaper parts, atleast i would....if you start to run low on money trying to finish the project, try and sell a 1.1, i bet the go for alot of money, hard to find anything 1.1.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Moccabee, looks like a good buy to me. Much better than my #2 restore GT. The nice thing about having the car down to that level is: 1)you can give it a good rust inspection and 2)it makes it so much easier to do a complete and smooth paint job. Welcome and have fun.
:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ha, ghia on steroids :) We have owned 3 ghias the current project (90% done) is a 1958 convertible.

The opel looks to be in good shape. If its missing a tranny you might consider a 5 speed conversion (a getrag 240 from opels unl or ogts is a painless install). Make sure to use the search feature an amazing amout of information on the forums. Happy opeling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts