Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the car today doing a visual assessment before I start tearing into it for a clutch replacement. I saw the end of the differential at the torque tube and it appears to have gotten hot at some point. From reading other posts, changing the pinion bearings are a bit of a challenge. Anyone want to chime in after looking at my picture?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
To me it looks like the usual corrosion that happens on an old car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me it looks like the usual corrosion that happens on an old car.
Ok, that's sounds good. I figured if I was having an overheating issue, then I would have noise, or other issues, but I did look like it had gotten hot.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Agreed, Looks like corrosion. That’s not typically an area prone to overheating. Are you planning on rebuilding the torque tube & replacing the differential seal while you’re down there? The torque tube is a weak link area that needs periodic rebuilding, the rubber just gives out as it ages.

·
Opeler
1,438 Posts
I was under the car today doing a visual assessment before I start tearing into it for a clutch replacement. I saw the end of the differential at the torque tube and it appears to have gotten hot at some point. From reading other posts, changing the pinion bearings are a bit of a challenge. Anyone want to chime in after looking at my picture? View attachment 427420 View attachment 427421
That laminated rust on the torque tube and rear end housing flange was probably caused by leaking brake fluid at the hose/steel line juncture at some point. The brake fluid removed the paint and the rust began. You can see the slight wet spot of brake fluid in the picture. If that were gear oil leaking there, that area would be covered with oily dirt, not rust. Also, if it were an oil leak, you would see it dripping out of the little weep hole at the bottom of the torque tube and it is dry.
I would take the steel brake lines off from the hose fitting out to each wheel cylinder, wire wheel-clean the lines and look for corrosion or leaks. If they are good, paint them and put them back. If not replace them along with the hose.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,952 Posts
Good eye and thinking, spring gt. Look at the hose in the 1st pix; it looks distorted just above the steel fitting. Needs replacing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts