Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under my Opel GT yesterday replacing the rear rubber brake hose and noticed something that didn't look right. There are 4 bolt bolting the torque tube into the differential carrier, correct? Well 3 of the 4 look good - the fourth (top driver side) looks like it wasn't put in more than... 1/2 to 3/4ths of the way in... This isn't good, is it? Do I just (HA! I'll prob. end up having to drill it out or something worse with my luck!) unscrew it out, clean up the screw and put it back in (and torque it correctly)? Or is it worse than that. Should I check the fluid too while I'm down there?

Heather V. Havel
Michigan, USA
1970 Opel GT

·
Registered
98 Posts
You'll definitely want to chase the threads of the hole and the bolt just to make sure they are ok , if there is a problem with threads in the mounting, you will want to drill it out and replace them with replacement thread coils. If the bolt is bad just replace it. You certainly want to check the oil level while your down there, check it out at least , I replaced the rearend fluid every time I did a brake maintanence. Being that you have a '70 , you probably have a '70 rearend and that means having the bearings that are next to impossible to replace, if your oil level gets too low, over time you will start hearing a growling noise and then it will be time to find a newer style rearend!
Good luck!

RITTER

1 - 2 of 2 Posts