Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i can't drive the car yet for a couple weeks but there is always something that bothers me that i think needs fixing. my whole steering wheel seems loose, inside the column. my steering is tight in the front end but i am able to move the steering wheel in any direction, up, down, sidways...ect, about one half inch. is there a bearing or something in there that decided to give out years ago or any other ideas....? thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Detritus Maximus
3,105 Posts
Could be a couple things, there is a bearing at the bottom of the steering column that is secured by a couple of screws, they may be loose. There is a coupling down there, also, a u-joint on the splined steering shaft end, check that the joint and pinch bolts are ok. And the most probable, at the top of the steering column, just underneath the steering wheel hub, is a brass(?) sleeve that locates things. If it is not seated right, you will have slop. And you will need to pull the hub to get at it:( . But it is a good time to inspect the problem areas in the steering column, too, such as the turn signal lever mounting boss on the turn signal ring. These tend to fail and break off.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well that little brass thing you refer to.....i belive thats what is laying in my glove box!!! its been a while since i tore the column apart*december* so i'm gonna have to figure out where it goes now. i hate to admit it, but i did take the column apart and i never put that back thinking it was just a contact for the horn. it was messed up, the brass plate was ripped so i thought it would catch on some contacts for the horn or something and now i can't remember where it goes....anybody know?

·
Detritus Maximus
3,105 Posts
It should be a sleeve about an inch long x an inch or so in diameter with a slight flare on one end. This description is not to be trusted, it's been awhile. :)

It slides in below the steering wheel hub and ignition switch/turn signal assembly.

Anybody have a pic or a scan of the parts book page?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Opel illustrated parts breakdown books and the factory manuals. Can make hard copies of the pages you need and snail male them to you.
or try to explain it in this forum.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
richard, either way would be greatly appreciated. i tried to find that plastic piece witht he brass but its now lost!!! i better tryto find one of them sometime or another, once i get some of my bigger problems straightened out.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
went to the junkyard and stole a whole D*** steering column out of a 72 GT. *looks familiar to the one i stripped out and took to them...?*thanks opelbits, i put in a junk sloppy bearing, but has a good copper colar on it, and it took alot of the slop out of the wheel, i can live with it now. i did discover the horn button was lying in the bottom of the column, half ground up and in need of one of those now, along with 2 12 volt horns since they caught on fire.......LOL

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if your talking abotu that rubber thing that goes around the steering shaft and the firewall, well thats gone too. LOL

·
Dan G
14 Posts
anyone have a replacement for my missing spring behind the steering wheel hub

I am replacing the steering wheel and discovered why there is a little slop in the steering wheel. After searching forums I saw pictures showing a spring between the steering wheel hub and the upper bearing at the top of the column. The conical washer is there, just not the spring. It must have simply unsprung itself and jumped out!!!! Anyway, does anyone know where I could find one of these suckers? I'm 90% sure even a good ol' hardware store won't have anything I can use. I'm considering a stack of washers and spring washers but think finding the right diameter to fit the od and id will be tough. Thanks for your help - Dan

·
Über Genius
9,528 Posts
I am replacing the steering wheel and discovered why there is a little slop in the steering wheel. After searching forums I saw pictures showing a spring between the steering wheel hub and the upper bearing at the top of the column. The conical washer is there, just not the spring. It must have simply unsprung itself and jumped out!!!! Anyway, does anyone know where I could find one of these suckers? I'm 90% sure even a good ol' hardware store won't have anything I can use. I'm considering a stack of washers and spring washers but think finding the right diameter to fit the od and id will be tough. Thanks for your help - Dan
If it's the spring I'm thinking of, it can't simply pop out. I think it has a few coils on it.
At any rate, when I run into these situations I head to Ebay and type in the metric equivalent of the spring inner (or outer) diameter, add the word spring, and search. It's a great resource for weird, oddball stuff like that.

I think that this is one that will work but don't take my word for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13mm-Outer...=item51f52256dc:g:SecAAOSwMsJbl4ZR:rk:14:pf:0

·
Dan G
14 Posts
Ha, i was joking about it coming out on its own . The last person to have this apart must have left it off completely . I did the best I could with my calipers trying to measure what the overall length should be and i'm coming up with 1.6 inches compressed.
Yeah, ebay could work. It would just be nice to know I'm getting the right size and strength

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts