Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. before I replace the rack let me see if there is a easy fix I am overlooking.

New tires (195/60HR14), stiff rear springs and shocks.

New front shocks, and newish (Only 5000 miles max) tie rods inner and outer (I am pretty sure of it been a while since I worked on the front). Ball joints look good. etc..

With the car at a stand still you can turn the wheel 1/2" to either side before the steering engages. The u-joint in the column looks good as does the steering rack.

Can I just tighten down on the rack or is it in the column U-joint.

I am thinking its the column U-joint. Seems all my front suspension problems always lead to that damn thing. Speaking of which Bob you ever find an off the shelf replacement for it. OR something that can be modified.

Charles

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
GoinManta said:
With the car at a stand still you can turn the wheel 1/2" to either side before the steering engages. The u-joint in the column looks good as does the steering rack.
How often do you adjust the rack and pinion lash in that car Charles? When I was still daily-driving Opels, I did mine twice per year. If it has never been done, then it's long overdue for a freshening up and adjustment.

The column u-joints do tend to go bad after some time. I have never found a direct bolt-in clamp-collar u-joint, but have used aftermarket joints just the same. Welding and fabrication required...so I won't get into specifics due to liability.

Bob

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Flaming River link, with all thier u-joints I have to feel one will fit. In the meantime I will adjust the rack, I think I did it when I rebuilt the suspension. But I dont remember.

THanks for all the tips.

Charles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts