Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Since I had to remove the fuel filler neck to add a return fuel line. I decided it would be a good time to get rid of the obtrusive fuel cap. I purchased the aircraft style fuel filler on EBAY and made the backup ring from aluminum. The whole process took about 2 hrs and made a very clean installation.

Attachments

Reactions: G.v.Mainberg

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,424 Posts
Nice!

It even reminds you of what to fill in it :haha:

Really, as much as I like the original GT gas caps, these aircraft or racing aluminum fillers look even better.

Dieter

·
1,875 Posts
Is there a way to lock it? I think the locking gas cap had two purposes. One, to keep it from being stolen, the second to keep people from putting gravel or something into the gas tank since it would be such an easy thing to do where the filler is located.
Your gas cap set up does look really nice.

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts
I'm with Gordy on this, although very nice looking, if there is no way to lock it, you run a very REAL risk of having crap put in your tank. The locking part was also important for the stock style to prevent theft as I had one stolen off of my original GT back in the summer of 87. A ****** (and I mean no offense to anyone, but that's what that douche was) wanted me to give him a ride, I told him no, so as he was walking away he walked around the back and stole my gas cap right off my car while I was IN the car! I jumped out and gave chase with a billy club I kept in the car but the SOAB was just to damned fast. Man was I pissed. Sadly, I did NOT know back then that they were a locking style gas cap or I would have had it locked. Live and learn.

Of course if you keep it garaged at all times and only drive it and never leave it unattended when it's not in the garage, you probably wouldn't have to worry as much.

·
Opeler
1,131 Posts
No, there was nothing wrong with my throwing arm, but by the time I gave pursuit, he was far enough away that if I missed, I may have had to resort to doing something that conceivably had me landing in jail :no:

And your right Gordy, he couldn't out run the GT IF he had stayed on the street or sidewalks, but the GT never really was good about "off-roading", tended to break all sorts of things if you left the roads to go crashing through brick walls and bouncing over boulders and bushes and crap in peoples yards. :sigh:

I live knowing in my heart that Karma dished that SOB something really nasty at some point to make up for all his nasty deeds. Karma ALWAYS does for that type of person.:yup:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,349 Posts
The ****** was ME!

"he walked around the back and stole my gas cap right off my car while I was IN the car!"

Back in the early 70's, during my very brief flirtation with juvenial deliquency, my friends and I got into stealing gas caps. One guy amassed over 200! Well, very soon I realized that stealing a gas cap from a parked car was like shooting ducks in a barrel(is that how that saying goes?). As kids are wont to do, I pushed it to the next level and introduced the innovation of stealing them from moving cars. During backed up traffic downtown, we'd crouch between two parked cars on the side, then dash out and steal a gas cap from a slowly moving car. 5 or 6 of those and that got boring, so then we moved onto who could steal the nicest gas cap. We never ran across a GT, but one guy got the Holy Grail: A gigantic Corvette gas cap!

Something tells me that that guy of yours was looking for more than a ride. He may have meant to rob you(which of course he did in the end). I picked up a hitch hiker at the foot of one of the long bridges that access each shore island here in Jersey. In January when NOBODY is hitch hiking anywhere because the shore is deserted. He was all excited about the car and thought it was rare Porsche or Ferrari(it was dark that night). When I told him it was "just" an Opel GT worth about $6000, he very noticably slumped and lost interest in conversation. He asked to be dropped at the foot of the other end of the bridge where no one ever wanted to be dropped off. Later, when I got to my buddie's house for a jam and recording session with our band, I found on the passenger side: Brass knuckles, a black jack, and a knife with an 8" blade! So, here we have an example of an Opel's inexpensiveness acting as a deterent to crime. He must have been so pissed that he left the tools for his crime wave in my car!

On the subject of gas cap mods, I'm having the fuel inlet on my new GT relocated to straight out the back of the car. I put wings on my cars and the present location forces me to carry a two foot rubber hose around with me to fill up the tank. I'll be having another aluminum tank made for the car, so customizing the fill tube to meet the new inlet will be taken care of. The PO of the car had originally put one of your aircraft style gas cap enclosures on the car(which I think is a really great and attractive idea), but he recessed the whole thing down an extra inch into the body.....leaving an air pocket and not being aerodynamic at all. The stupidity pissed me off so much I had the body shop totally remove it and go with my other plan.

·
Super Moderator
9,755 Posts
When Dallas Mize (R.I.P.) redid the gas cap on the Spyder, it got me to thinking of what I would do. I don't know the exact year(s) model, but, cut the gas door off the back of a Corvette, the one that was kinda squarish and hinged up. Had the Corvette crossed flags on the exposed side, but, under the flap was the gas cap, which you can use an ordinary locking cap, as it wouldn't be seen with the flap closed and a small area to put the cap while you were filling the tank. Then for added measure, take the Corvette emblem off and put an Opel Blitz on there. Have this molded into the back deck of a GT. To me it would look cleaner, and still have a locking cap.
Attached is a picture of the Corvette with the filler flap I'm talkng about.

Attachments

4,231 Posts

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Gas Cap Justice

No, there was nothing wrong with my throwing arm, but by the time I gave pursuit, he was far enough away that if I missed, I may have had to resort to doing something that conceivably had me landing in jail :no:

And your right Gordy, he couldn't out run the GT IF he had stayed on the street or sidewalks, but the GT never really was good about "off-roading", tended to break all sorts of things if you left the roads to go crashing through brick walls and bouncing over boulders and bushes and crap in peoples yards. :sigh:

I live knowing in my heart that Karma dished that SOB something really nasty at some point to make up for all his nasty deeds. Karma ALWAYS does for that type of person.:yup:
Maybe he got a dog chain and made a bling neckless out of the Gas Cap:yup::lmao: Karma will come around where he gets the chain caught up in the weed eater he operates for a living and chokes his self before it runs out of gas:D

·
Registered
156 Posts
When Dallas Mize (R.I.P.) redid the gas cap on the Spyder, it got me to thinking of what I would do. I don't know the exact year(s) model, but, cut the gas door off the back of a Corvette, the one that was kinda squarish and hinged up. Had the Corvette crossed flags on the exposed side, but, under the flap was the gas cap, which you can use an ordinary locking cap, as it wouldn't be seen with the flap closed and a small area to put the cap while you were filling the tank. Then for added measure, take the Corvette emblem off and put an Opel Blitz on there. Have this molded into the back deck of a GT. To me it would look cleaner, and still have a locking cap.
Attached is a picture of the Corvette with the filler flap I'm talkng about.
Now I just need to hunt for an unsuspecting Corvette owner.....:lmao:

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,424 Posts
4,231 Posts

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,424 Posts
@Dieter
you can read this all here(page 10 and 11 up from post 186).I have made the emblems in 2010 by my self.:cool:
Wow, Respekt!
The attached pictures are my reason for asking. This was my GT in Germany from 1984 to 87. I liked the emblem too... The paint is Metalflake "Glowble", the one they use for "Autoscooter" on German fairs, or here now on boats.

Dieter

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,349 Posts
Nice car, Dieter. So, I guess that was done during your "cobra phase". Hmmm...I think there's some Freudian symbology going on here..... :banana:

·
Driver
987 Posts
Since I had to remove the fuel filler neck to add a return fuel line. I decided it would be a good time to get rid of the obtrusive fuel cap. I purchased the aircraft style fuel filler on EBAY and made the backup ring from aluminum. The whole process took about 2 hrs and made a very clean installation.

Looks nice!
Very similar to my set up.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A lot of you may already know this, but another thing I found out while running my FI lines was that a female AN 6 fitting will screw right on the stock Opel tank. The AN fittings are for 37 degree flares, but a teflon O ring will make a perfect seal to the tank.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
706 Posts
Nice!

It even reminds you of what to fill in it :haha:

Really, as much as I like the original GT gas caps, these aircraft or racing aluminum fillers look even better.

Dieter
On the other hand if you are trying to remain somewhat stock - I am really proud to have purchased, a new OEM gas cap, for $250.00 around 25 years ago - if I recall from OGTS,. not a scratch on it then or today - I also purchased some of the last OEM tail lights, in the original boxes and fixtures at the same time - again still in perfect condition. Sorry it took me 11 years to respond to your post - just been busy...

·
Über Genius
9,401 Posts
The gas cap, like the headlights, are the most iconic parts of the car.

Reactions: Will I. Finish
1 - 20 of 20 Posts